Should I ride the German wave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering joining the Vdub Club, and have my eye on a '07 Jetta Wolfsburg

Original owner, not quite 14k, Silver over Black leatherette, 2.5 I5 w/Auto

Sunroof, heated seats/mirrors/alloys

Original owner doesn't want to part with it (literally cringed when handing keys over for test drive), but medical conditions dictate she can't drive anymore

I just drove it

Other then the low tires, and weak starting battery (most of this car's problems are from sitting), once it warmed up and got up to speed, it was nice

It's been religiously serviced at a VW dealer since day 1, down to a $1900 bill last Oct for a alternator, pulley kit, two front springs, and an oil change (I surmise alternator died from frequently having to recharge low battery from lack of use)

Downsides

Banged up trunklid ($250 salvage part locally)

Minor bumps and scrapes (#nyclife)

Scratched windshield (Safelite might do before purchase?)

Headliner falling down (apparently common to the Mk5 Jetta?)

Low speed front end clunk/rattle (something to do with the previous front end work?)

All windows/doors/sunroof work, 3 keys present, CEL not on, several recalls (ignition coil?) completed

Carfax came back squeaky clean

It shifted nice, and while it hesitated a bit on acceleration cold, I chalk that up to stale gas, low tires, and a weak battery (again, lack of use)

She's asking (and pretty firm) on 4k

What do we think?

Should I join the club?

Thanks for any insight in advance

-Mike

I'd scoop that up for $4k. My only concern is this front end stuff. Why did it need springs so soon? Was the clunk a result of that install, or whatever caused the springs to need to be replaced...

From most of my research before getting a VW, the 2.5L seems like a pretty stout piece. And that auto is not the DSG so you shouldn't have too many problems with it.

Personally, I'd run away and get a Honda. If you search my posts you'll see a plethora of information on the nickel-and-dime you to death of the VW's.

P.S. Honda's are cooler anyway...
smile.gif

At $4k I'd buy and flip. Heck drive it for a year and flip for whatever I could get. How bad could it be?

The 2.5L is pretty good, and I want to say this is a slushbox and thus not that bad of a transmission (if it's DSG then it's a flip project, if not now then after a year).

Not sure I'd read too much into the work done. VW dealers have a rep for being slime. Half of the work may have been for naught.

Boy I thought you were joining the BMW or Mercedes club. VW has been traditionally the worse of the 3 German makes, and by far in some cases.

If your able to work on the car yourself, buy it. If you have the must be Toyota/Honda or else reliability syndrome, stay away.
If you don't want it, PM me about it. My wife visits her parents in Brooklyn a few times a year and I'd love to buy this to flip.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
That 1900.00 bill is a warning sign.

She paid dealer list price for an alternator

Which is $600

I'm gonna mull it over, maybe have my mechanic give it a once over

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I'd scoop that up for $4k. My only concern is this front end stuff. Why did it need springs so soon? Was the clunk a result of that install, or whatever caused the springs to need to be replaced...

From most of my research before getting a VW, the 2.5L seems like a pretty stout piece. And that auto is not the DSG so you shouldn't have too many problems with it.

Probably hit a curb or worse......

Jump on that car and keep it, its as good as any Honda or Toyota.

Trunk lid not a problem at all.
Minor bumps and scrapes can be taken care of while your driving it and the dent wizard can get most minor stuff without repainting.
Remove the headliner and have it done, cost about $150 and will never come down again or do it at home for $40
Front end clunks on these and Beetles are usually either strut mounts, worn composite stabilizer end links or or stabilizer bar bushings.
The batteries on these cars go low fast when not used, its the alarm, charge it good and do a throttle body relearn, scan tool job there is no other way.

There is a scan tool for these car that cost $50 that will do everything on this car, it is bi diretional not just a reader and TB relearn is in the program as is electric park brake retract. PM me if you need one.

Edit: OE springs sometimes broke on these after about 6-7 years if the car lived in pot hole city.

Last edited:
If you stay away from dealers repairs are not too expensive and it's not that bad for most DIY. the 2.5 engine is very sturdy (except for early years with timing chain tensioner problems). It was originally used in commercial vehicles. Holds 6 quarts of oil. Change oil every 10K is fine.

This is a very nice car to drive.. Very supple, but firm ride. Very good handling and steering (especially for electric power steering). I, personally am not too wild about the automatic transmission, but it is pretty reliable as far as I know.

The MK5 has many cool/useful features. Check out the trunk, has 4 link hinges, fully lined, storage area on the right is removable so golf clubs bit straight across, etc., etc. Same everywhere.

The best feature, especially in salty "northeast" is the 12 year unlimited mileage rust warranty. Thick, galvanized body.

Drive this and an equivalent Honda and see which is better.

$4,000 is a no brainer, if it has no major problems.

I gotta go with a GREEN LIGHT.

If the A/C works OK you can easily sell it next year if you turn out to not be a VW kinda guy.

My expertise, you ask? I urged a coworker NOT TO BUY a 20 year old Scirocco from a lady on W.69th St.
He said to me it was only for the Summer so I said , "sure, why not" (note: there's no question mark)
He kept the car and got $3,400,000 in parking tickets because he was an abysmal alcoholic who couldn't remember to get out of bed.

This car sounds different. I'd buy it.

Sounds like a decent deal.The biggest issue with the auto is that its a DSG, so they're a little more than a standard rebuild. I bought the same car to flip with 80k on it, needed a trans. A used unit with 40k on it was 3200, I did the labor. This was a few years ago, but its still a pricey repair. The 2.5 is a solid engine, and they're still fun cars. I see one for service with 210k on it, kinda beat but still going!

I would be very tempted. The 2.5 is a pretty solid motor, and if you keep up with fluid changes etc you should have a fairly trouble free ride.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Sounds like a decent deal.The biggest issue with the auto is that its a DSG, so they're a little more than a standard rebuild. I bought the same car to flip with 80k on it, needed a trans. A used unit with 40k on it was 3200, I did the labor. This was a few years ago, but its still a pricey repair. The 2.5 is a solid engine, and they're still fun cars. I see one for service with 210k on it, kinda beat but still going!

No DSG with the 2.5. It's an Aisin 6 speed - the 09G.

50k fluid changes are recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back