Redline oil change, annual with track days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Who would be comfortable changing their oil once a year with Redline? Car is a 2000 Hondas S2000 at 133k miles, with some bolt on modifications. Sees about 4 track days and 10+ auto crosses each year. Gets driven on the street aggressively. Would like to simplify my maintenance and just run Redline 10w-30, changing it once every April. Car sees about 3K miles a year.

Spend the $$$ and get a used oil analysis. No guessing. My guess is probably the oil would last

Which redline oil?.. and probably not. Oil is cheap you are basically abusing your car I would think 2x a year wouldnt cost much more vs the amount you have invested in your track car.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Spend the $$$ and get a used oil analysis. No guessing. My guess is probably the oil would last

Agreed

Originally Posted By: Rand
Which redline oil?.. and probably not. Oil is cheap you are basically abusing your car I would think 2x a year wouldnt cost much more vs the amount you have invested in your track car.

Just their standard 10w-30. Maybe I'll change it mid season and get a UOA. If it looks good, I'll shoot for 1 year. I paid 6k for the car, and it was tracked for years before had. I do drive it occasionally in winter if there is a nice day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

Really? This is only 3000 miles we are talking about. Even a dino might be good at that distance.

OP, have a UOA done as suggested earlier. In your place I would do it about 1/2 way through the road and track events; then you will know for certain. Member OneEyeJack is doing 10k intervals with Redline, and his UOAs are stellar. Granted he probably doesn't drive the same as you, but still.

F22/F20 engines are relatively easy on oil, but I would definitely use 40 weight if it gets driven aggressively, you need thicker oil & higher oil pressure in a track car.

Honda recommends 5w40 for s2k if you use synthetic, 10w30 if dino.

If I were you, I'd use Rotella 5w40 and change it once a year, regardless of the mileage. Don't forget to change MTF and Diff oil every or every other oil change.

Looks like you're running M1 0w40 per your signature? Why not just use that or Castrol or Pennzoil in the same weight? All good oils available at WM.

Last edited:
I would imagine any Euro 0W-40 would be more than sufficient. What do S2000 forums say?

Dare I say that were it mine, a 0W-40 at minimum and maybe even entertain a synthetic 50, like Synpower 20W-50 or Castrol 5W-50.
Since you're tracking it. If you were just driving it with no track days, a HDEO 10W-30 would be a good, cost effective choice.

Once yearly.

Last edited:
The S2000 doesn't need a 50wt. Red Line 10W-30 is close to M1 0W-40 in specs. I run M1 0W-40 in mine but I change it more often than once a year. I probably don't need to, though. I suspect one year OCI with Red Line 10W-30 would be fine at 3000 miles and a handful of track days.

I think I've seen you over at trackjunkies.org, RandomHero!

Definitely change he Diff & trans oils out with Redline MTF & 75-90 GL5 every April!

I guess I'm just concerned the 0w-40 will shear down with high temp, 9,000 RPM driving. The oil pressure of the 0w-40 is dead nuts on the specification. The RL 10w-30 has a similar HTHS and won't shear a bit. The lower centistokes will help reduce churning losses for a bit more power and response.

UOA is only way to tell... My bet is you'll be fine. That's a lot less miles than one Dakar rally
laugh.gif

You'll have no problem doing annuals with Redline if that's your choice. I've been using RL and doing it for over 20 years. I prefer the 0-40 but that's a choice you'll have to make. Having said that it's also likely that any good syn would do the same. Get the one you're comfortable will protect your engine at the few extreme times and don't woory about it. You'll be good.

Gonna pick up some UHPAS tires for my 16" stockers. I think I'll run the RL 10w-30 all season, April to October. Then change out for Mobil 1 0w-30 for some occasional winter driving. Any concern switching back and forth between a PAO and Ester base?

Redline has a high hths as some have said. But how expensive is it compared to other oils?

I have heard of s2000 engines consuming oil. If yours consumes some then an annual change would be fine if you're adding new oil occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back