The "V" in Valvoline. What does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking at the pic of the old Valvoline quart most likely from 70's or 80's reminds me of the oil grade description on the top of the can: if memory serves correct it said 10W-20W-30-40, and was the only brand described this way-----anyone know why they included the extra 20W-30, instead of just 10W-40?
Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
looking at the pic of the old Valvoline quart most likely from 70's or 80's reminds me of the oil grade description on the top of the can: if memory serves correct it said 10W-20W-30-40, and was the only brand described this way-----anyone know why they included the extra 20W-30, instead of just 10W-40?
Steve

It wasn't 10W-20W-30-40 , it was 10W-20W-40.
Basically it just meant that it was ok for cars that specified 10W-40 and 20W-40.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Valvoline? Thought it might have been value line as a price conscious oil for everyday folk. Kinda like Supertech.

The V stands for Victory as on the track. Not a cheapie back in the day, or now. Valvoline was a sponsor at Indy and many other tracks. Their racing oil was pretty much the go-to for a lot of independent race teams. I got Phillips 66 Race oil as part of my sponsorship, so did not run Valvoline, but a lot of very quick guys did.

There was/is absolutely nothing wrong with their technology. VR-1 is still the go-to oil for thousands (millions ?) of hot rodders out there. I ran a survey at Chevelles.com asking about preferred performance oils: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-performance/831521-what-oil-do-you-use.html The guys that hang out there are into serious motors as in 8-second steel bodied cars with roll-up glass. You don't do that on mild motors
laugh.gif

Valvoline was preferred 2:1 over number two ( Mobil-1 ) and about 4:1 over number three (Brad-Penn racing oils).

There is almost no serious competition for their products in some markets ... You can't do that if you have not been at the top of your game for decades.

Last edited:
In 1924 the founder of Valvoline Oil originally named his Premium Motor oil after his girlfriend. He had difficulty remembering names so as a trick to help, he could remember that her name rhymed with "Delores".

I read somewhere the V was red and blue to represent that Valvoline oil protected engines from heat and cold, high temperature protection and cold flow ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back