DELL W 8.1 not loading at start???

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a DELL laptop running 8.1 x64 all updated, the other day went to start it for the day and what I'm getting at start/ boot up is the DELL logo, that spinning thingy then it goes into black screen(dim)and sits there, The pc is loading I can hear the hard drive but the screen stays black.

I did Google search and found a fix/workaround by going into safe mode then into device manager and then disabling my display adapter, with that it works all is well, now what I don't understand is the adapter is updated but if I go back and re enable it then I'm back to the black screen on boot up. It has always worked in the past what could have changed in the display adapter to be doing this???

what other issues could there be?

It may have a bad driver on the video adapter. Maybe an update crashed it? I would go to the manufacturer of the display adapter itself (amd, Nvidia, or Intel) and download their most recent drivers. Install and see if that corrects the issue.

Long story short I tried a few things but in the end I rolled back the driver to a standard driver and all was well that fixed it. Then I did a windows update and that showed 1 important update, a display adapter, so I did the update and it took it to the next updated driver I believe that was in there in the first place and all is good working fine now.

Confusing why that same(I believe) troubled driver is now working. Maybe corrupted and needed to be re installed? anyway its working.
smile.gif

a video adapter and display adapter are the same thing. Technically it is a video card that has a driver but that video card is what has the adapter to go out to VGA, HDMI, ETC and allows you to see a picture on the screen.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
a video adapter and display adapter are the same thing. Technically it is a video card that has a driver but that video card is what has the adapter to go out to VGA, HDMI, ETC and allows you to see a picture on the screen.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back