For Canadians - PC launches new website

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed PetroCanada launched a new website today. SO Much easier to find information than before: DURON Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil

A couple of cool things I found (and a couple of sad ones):

• Fuel Savings Calculator for their 10W30 FA-4 and 5W30/5W40 CJ-4 products
  • Cool new "Knowledge Center"
  • No 5W30/5W40 CK-4 or FA-4...
    frown.gif
  • No ACEA E6 on the new CK-4 formulas...
    frown.gif
  • 10 Step guide to using Lower Viscosity Engine Oils

Feels like they were a little late to the party compared to Rotella and Delo and other popular Canadian brands. But I love how easy it is to find OEM credentials, PDS, etc on the new site. If you are a fan of Duron, check it out.

Last edited:
I'll check the site when the bugs are worked out a bit. I was having a heck of a time with it being slow as heck. BITOGers overloaded it, or it's not yet ready for prime time.
wink.gif

I, too, am disappointed. Their E6 stuff was pretty dated. Generally speaking, if you're formulating to CK-6 and E7, E9 and also SN, and are stuck with the lower phosphorus limits, why not test against E6 as well? On a similar vein, I'm not sure why Shell's E6 5w-30 isn't E7, E9 as well. It certainly has the big issues checked off - TBN and SA. Mobil's E6 runs away with all the specs again.

Not so quick Garak, Duron dropped six products and combined others into fewer products for a simpler portfolio.
For example there were three Duron 10w40s, including your beloved E-6, now there is one for NA and one for Euro.
Instead of two 5w40s, now there is one, same goes for the two Duron 0W30s.

Gone too are the high saps CI-4 "XLs".

BTW, how is that Regina by-pass coming along, are the guys still digging dirt at -36C?

Simpler portfolio? I'd argue less comprehensive.

Duron for years has been the benchmark for HDDEO in this market - they had everything you could need or want, and it always had top of the line specifications.

Looking at this today they are missing areas and doing things which just don't make sense to me:
They register a 10W40 as CK-4/SN, probably because they can't do 10W30 CK-4/SN so they are using the loop hole to create the illusion of a universal oil. Then they put "suitable for use" on their 10W30 when it's obvious they don't actually meet the spec (which is probably why they are playing games with the viscosity grades). Who is going to put a 10W40 into their gasoline engine?
They were a leader in low viscosity HDDEO's - early into 10W30 and top shelf on 5W30 - today they don't even have a CK-4 or FA-4 5W30.

I understand the need to simplify - but PC-11 brought in so many new opportunities, and it seems to me like they are just letting go their market leading position.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
For example there were three Duron 10w40s, including your beloved E-6, now there is one for NA and one for Euro.

I'll have to look. I'm wondering about a 10w-40 E6 grade, though. What's the point? There were a few in Europe at one time, but it seems odd to fill the tiniest 10w-40 E6 niche, without touching A3/B4 ever. Who really is buying 10w-40 for a diesel in any quantities, and the same obviously applies to gassers. Imperial Oil didn't get rid of 10w-40 across the board (outside of motorcycles) by accident.

The competitors all have an E6 lubricant in 5w-30, with an SN specification. That's the type of product that can be considered universal.

I'll still have to look things over when everything settles a bit. Imperial Oil's site is a bit of a mess right now, too.

We're not at -36 now, fortunately, but plenty of digging is still going on.

Thanks for the reminder. I forget to check back on that. Now, I have some reading to do. I'm going to be at a crossroads in several months. They appear to have dumbed down Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 with the CK-4 rollout, so I have some typical BITOG hand wringing to start on.
wink.gif

About 15 years ago a little birdie told me that Lubrizol is the additive supplier for Petro-Canada lubricants.
That sounds likely, but never confirmed.

15 years ago that might have been true. I'm not sure that is the case anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back