Ram changes the recommended oil on 2016 EcoDiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving a manual 4x4 off-road takes skill and technique. If you are not expert in either you are in deep s**t. A modern auto 4x4 with selectable terrain traction control and hill descent makes it look easy. Try going down a steel muddy windy track in a manual. Change gear or touch the brakes and you're gone. With an auto 4x4, put it in low, switch on hill descent, take your foot off the pedals, just steer and wait till you get to the bottom.

Originally Posted By: ofelas
"hill descent" ?
Like most modern 4x4's the Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 has a full electronic controlled traction control system. With a press of a button, one can select "hill descent" mode. On very steep hills, this holds the speed to about walking pace while constantly monitoring and adjusting traction on all four wheels to avoid lockups.

Impressive technology indeed.

Makes me wonder how I ever went down steeps with my old dirt bike.

The smartphone equivalent to my old Motorola StarTac I suppose.

It's a similar situation going up steep hills. I once followed a Disco with lockers front and rear and A/T tyres. It was throwing rocks everywhere. The Jeep, in low range and straight road tyres aired down, just chug chugged up behind with hardly disturbing a pebble. If the traction control senses slipping on any wheel, it momentarily applies brakes to that wheel allowing it time to grip. By the nature of the front, rear and centre diff, while ever a wheel is braked all the traction transfers to the other gripping wheels. All the driver has to do it point the car and gently press the pedal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ofelas
Impressive technology indeed.

Makes me wonder how I ever went down steeps with my old dirt bike.

The smartphone equivalent to my old Motorola StarTac I suppose.

One thing I noticed with all this technology is that you are in deep s**t if you know what you doing and technology tries to take over.
My X5 as any BMW has tendency to throw out rear end in slick conditions regardless of AWD. Or I purposely want to go sideways and I forget to turn off DSC. So DSC activates but I want to compensate, and it guts throttle response leaving you waiting to see what is going to happen.

That's true. I've found that it's best to forget what you have ever learnt about 4x4 and start again. Know what your machine can do and can't do then work with it. I'm constantly amazed at how capable these cars are considering they are basically just SUV's with 4x4 capability.

Chrysler also back spec'd the 2014 and 2015's. Their updated Diesel Supplements reflect this. Is the Rotella T6 they're referring to the old stuff or the newly released in new bottle? Or both? Does it even matter... Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back