2014 RAM 1500 3.6l V6 oil spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owners manual for the 2014 Ram 1500 3.6l says to use 5w20 with the MS-6395 spec. But goes on to say that if that not available ke you can use a 5w30 with either the Fiat 9.5553-S1/3 specs.

Since Synpower w/ Maxlife Technology meets the MS-6395 spec across all weights can I safely conclude that the 5w30 would be fine, even OEM spec, for the 3.6l?

Originally Posted By: jayg

Watch out for oil pressure senders and cylinder heads cracking.

Do you mean in general or if using a 5w30? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: jayg

Watch out for oil pressure senders and cylinder heads cracking.

Do you mean in general or if using a 5w30? Thanks!

In general. Mine went out on 5w20 , others went out on 5w30. The oil pressure sensors are a cheap design and the heads can crack on any year of the Pentastar 3.6. My heads (both) cracked on my 2014 Wrangler AFTER they were redesigned.

To your original question, yes either 5w-20 or 5w-30 oils that meet the MS-6395 spec are approved for use in the 3.6L Pentastar engine. Your Synpower choice in either weight should work well for you.

Regarding the comments about cracking cylinder heads and oil pressure sensors--I'm a member of a few RAM forums and those issues seem very rare, at least in the RAM line.

The Pentastar was initially spec'd with 5w30...then later changed to 5w20.

FWIW I use 5w30 in both of my vans.

Originally Posted By: Robster
To your original question, yes either 5w-20 or 5w-30 oils that meet the MS-6395 spec are approved for use in the 3.6L Pentastar engine. Your Synpower choice in either weight should work well for you.

Regarding the comments about cracking cylinder heads and oil pressure sensors--I'm a member of a few RAM forums and those issues seem very rare, at least in the RAM line.

Thank you for the answer to my original question and your follow up to the post about engine issues.

Originally Posted By: RD_3
The Pentastar was initially spec'd with 5w30...then later changed to 5w20.

FWIW I use 5w30 in both of my vans.

Good to know, thank you.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Bump.

I think that I confused the title. I'll repost tomorrow if we don't get any answers to my OP question.

My point was that if even dino VWB meets the specs in 5w20 or 5w30 then Synpower is going to as well. No matter what oil you choose, I would keep an eye out for those issues as they can occur regardless of oil choice.

I'm using Mobil 1 5w-30 in my Pentastar - $26.99 for a 6 pack at Costco, then pick up a Wix filter at O'Reilly.

There is nothing special about that MS-6395 spec, it's pretty much the same as SN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back