List of Group V ester-based engine oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: killahurtz
Well OK. I'd like to see how many miles I can put on a car I own which is supposed to be notorious for oil consumption. It has low tension oil rings.

What car...Saturn?

If its working for you, keep doing what you're doing. I use redline in my daily driver, people say its overkill but there are multiple benefits as you have found out.
I believe there are UOAs on here showing people driving 5-8000 miles on redline with no unusual numbers. You're onto a good thing
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Depends:

Are you coming on here to learn or to argue?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/esters-in-synthetic-lubricants/

I know of no "list" as formulations are intellectual property, and any such list would be pure conjecture.

Remember the phrase, "Man cannot live by bread alone?"

There is a corollary, "Ester alone doth not a lubricant make."

Engine oil formulations are constructed of various base oils, of various viscosities, and with added performance improvement additives.

'Kule is here!

It's not uncommon on many Internet forums for newbies to get a little ribbing and take some inside joking from regulars. Please don't take it personally - this is actually a friendly and very helpful community that I think you'll find quite educational over time. Please stick around and give it a whirl.

I doubt that there are any 100% ester based passenger car oils in the market today. While common in the 1970s, it was found that better and lower cost oils can be made by blending in synthetic hydrocarbons such as PAOs, ANs, GTLs, and Group IIIs. Most manufacturers are silent on the base oil composition of their oils, and some who used to boast about their PAO and ester content have gone silent, allowing the public to hold on to older perceptions. Red Line continues to be fairly open about their oils and state that they are ester/PAO blends. Not sure what Motul is doing these days, but I suspect their high ester offerings are intended for racing.

While I spent my entire career in ester lubricants, I would not use a full ester motor oil in my car over concerns with seal compatibility. I prefer oils with a balanced base oil slate containing some polar compounds such as esters or ANs along with some synthetic hydrocarbons. That said, the additives are more important for critical performance parameters such as wear, sludge, and corrosion than the base oils. More emphasis should be placed on certified compliance with industry and OEM specifications, and less on how they got there.

TomNJ/VA

Well said Tom. Another issue with esters is their polar nature... it is bitter sweet. While it clings to metal, it also interferes with the way additives work, by "fighting" for surface area between metallic parts.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

No idea - I never analyzed Schaeffer's oils. I do like their name, however, even though they spell it wrong!
grin2.gif

Hahahaha, I understand
grin.gif

Lol
I almost thought you were of that family!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back