OE vs OEM : Mann/Mahle

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been awhile since I've compared A:B.....
Just happened to get some OEM oil/air filters
I've READ way too many times that OE is better on QC

Anyhow: Mahle branded oil filter : Made in Austria
OE Roundel Branded Mahle : Germany

Mann branded air filter: Made in Hecho de Mexico
OE Roundel Branded Mann: Germany

What's fellow BITOGERs take. Same ch1t or OE is better with higher QC

Last edited:
Ive been seeing OEM stamped VW Mann and Ufi fuel filters that are made in china on the newer VWs now. Id still imagine those chinese factories have to pass high standard, so Im leaning towards same thing. I get thermostats for E9x all the time that come from Behr that actually have the BMW roundel machined off, made in Germany, same thing.

Last edited:
guess where new roundel coil packs have COO from....p r c

The OP is not to say OEM equivalents are not as good...they don't make their own bushings, pumps, etc...

Last edited:
A Mahle from Austria and Germany are both just as good as each other. I would not buy the Mexican Mann.

Is a Hengst available for your BMW?

One time I got a Mexican-made Mann air filter for my BMW E46. I got it from RockAuto. Compared to the German-made version there was NO COMPARISON. The Mexican-made version was junk. I didn't even use it. I threw it in the trash. Seriously and literally.

Scott

PS I use Hengst filters because they are made ONLY in Germany.

Made in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Czaech Republic, etc... Fine. Hecho en Mexico aftermarket is a solid pass from me.

I too, only use Hengst filters where available.

Edit: Or OEM.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
A Mahle from Austria and Germany are both just as good as each other. I would not buy the Mexican Mann.

Ive used Mann oil filters on my 530i made in Mexico as well as in Germany. Visually, they appeared identical. They both performed well in service.

Most of the Mann oil filters that I've gotten from RockAuto for my Toyotas and Hyundai are made in the U.S., FWIW.

The Mann filter for her car was Made in Mexico. No thanks. As said above, the quality is definitely different. Probably closer to a Purolator classic air filter than anything. There's was absolutely no reason to pay a premium over that vs. a Fram or WIX. I can't remember the quality of the Volvo filter when I replaced it with a WIX a few years ago.

Roundel is a new word for me. They are a brand?

Most Mahle branded stuff is made in Austria, while Mann is Germany... and I wouldn't care which one of those two counties they come from as they both have excellent quality control. I've used both brands from both countries and always found consistent high quality. It is true that both companies have started outsourcing some of their manufacturing to Mexico... which is unfortunate... as I too agree that the quality is nowhere near as good. I'm not sure how much weight it holds, but I feel like most of the Mexico production is for vehicles more common to the North/South American market -vs- Europe/Asia. The Mahle for my Prius is Austrian made and of typical Euro Mahle quality. For my Fusion however, it's a different story as both Mahle and Mann make filters in their home countries AND in North America. Thank goodness they have different model numbers to differentiate.

Mahle OC705 = Mexico
Mahle OC288 = Austria
Mann ML1006 = USA (Purolator clone)
Mann W920/45 = Germany

If they have their name on a filter it should be the identical quality no matter what land it is made in. If the materials, design, and manufacturing are the same, it is the same. We have Mercedes's being made in Alabama and Toyota's in Mississippi. If the Mexican ones are faulty, it is the German parent companies fault.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
If they have their name on a filter it should be the identical quality no matter what land it is made in. If the materials, design, and manufacturing are the same, it is the same. We have Mercedes's being made in Alabama and Toyota's in Mississippi. If the Mexican ones are faulty, it is the German parent companies fault.

It could be the parent company's fault or it also could be a product that is labeled and sold by someone else and not be a authentic product. happens a lot online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back