Best Oil for GM L83 engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I been reading a lot around last few months and even contributing here and there, I used to do a lot of research myself on oil without these forums just reading various pages but this place is huge help in looking at UOA samples and just comparing things I see. Anyways I was curious what you guys have seen in verified UOA that you can post up in this thread (pics) from engines that are LS/LT(new gen LT like the L83) in oils that keep Copper and Iron wear low.

From looking around a bit I would guess BMW Twin Power 0w-20 is top choice 2nd to? Castrol Edge HM 0w-20?

Thanks for input!

Originally Posted By: splinter
You experiencing any drivetrain resonance with that rig?

I see that a lot on Silverado groups/forums issues with that, Mine is lucky that I don't have any of that. I have the exhaust chirp v4 to v8 AFM transition but im waiting for emissions warranty is close to being gone to get it fixed. lol
laugh.gif

Its exhaust replacement that's why.

Last edited:
I am running M1 0w-20 AFE w/ Fram XG10575. ENGINE IS QUIET AND SMOOTH. No consumption detectable.

Early oil change at 954 miles. Second oil change is coming at ~5000 miles this Spring. Will follow OLM unless something gives me a red flag. Ex high fuel dilution or white residue under cap from moisture.

also picked up some M1 0w-20 EP that I picked up at AZ on clearance. Also have a Wix filter for it.

M1 chosen due to add pack of low calcium matched with increased magnesium. Lower Calcium oils reduce the chance of LSPI events in direct injected engines.

My wife runs the [censored] out of it with short trips.

Probably will rust out or valves will become carbon lollipops. That is my prediction of failure for this vehicle.

Last edited:
Just your basic M1 0w20 would be fine for the L83.
As long as it's dexos approved, just about any 0w20 is good.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Just your basic M1 0w20 would be fine for the L83.
As long as it's dexos approved, just about any 0w20 is good.

There is no 0w-20 in regular Mobil 1.

We recommend Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 for top tier protection against copper and iron wear and other metal material in for your 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a L83 engine. In addition to keeping your pistons up to 65% cleaner than required by the toughest industry standard, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is GM dexos1 approved and meets the engine protection required by ILSAC GF-5. If you're interested, Pennzoil is currently running a Used Oil Analysis program and we think you'd be a good candidate to join. Send us a PM for more info. - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
Is there any confirmation from GM that a 0w-30 or 5w-30 is okay with this engine? Any warranty concerns?

Have you looked in your owner's manual? The manual states specifically that the 5.3 and 6.2 are to use 0w-20. Period. The 4.3 and the 6.0 are to use 5w-30. In extremely cold conditions, it says that 4.3 and the 6.0 can use a 0w-30. So, while under warranty, I think it is pretty clear that this should be followed. After warranty? Do as you wish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back