What is this Law called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Name the Law and its Author from the following statement:

"The internal friction of a fluid is constant with respect to the rate of shear."

Fluids that obey this law are called " " fluids.

Let's allow newcomers and non-engineers identify this law.

Newtonian.... A shot in the dark... But it just seems like a possible answer.

Last edited:
In clearer words, I think, the shear stress is directly proportional to the rate of shear.

That's not true of fluids like blood, paint, melted ice cream, some motor oils, ...

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Newtonian.... A shot in the dark... But it just seems like a possible answer.

OK, you answered the second part of the question.

Now let's answer the first part:

Name the Law and its Author from the following statement:

Last edited:
Isaac Newton, Newton's Law of Viscosity. The fluid is Newtonian as bbhero noted and you have confirmed.

Well of course I knew it was Sir Isaac Newton
smile.gif
I just wanted to answer the Law part of the question. The Law of viscosity I would have likely figured out.

Good answers.

However, I asked all engineers from refraining to answer the questions.

Newtons Law of Viscosity only describes fluids that are considered "Newtonian," or fluids that are described in his law.

Common fluids such as gasses, water, Olive Oil, and mineral base oils are Newtonian.

Many other fluids are non-Newtonian and their viscosity depends on the rate of shear to which they are subjected. Greases, inks, and paints are considered non-Newtonian.

Some non-Newtonian fluids can change their viscosity with a change in both temperature and shear, and one of those is Viscosity Index Improvers (VII). However, shear-resistant VII's are the norm today. Shear resistant VII's means that even though some VII molecules may be sheared by mechanical forces, they can reform quickly.

Newton's Law of Viscosity is a Constitutive Equation and not a fundamental law of nature. In physics and engineering, a constitutive equation or constitutive relation is a relation between two physical quantities (especially kinetic quantities as related to kinematic quantities) that is specific to a material or substance, and approximates the response of that material to external stimuli, usually as applied forces. I.E., it is not a fundamental law of nature but an approximation that holds in some materials and fails in others.

you mean to say what i have been reading almost forever that VII's get permanently sheared to a point can "reattach" to themselves + become whole again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back