opinions on the new amsoil heavy duty diesel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my data right from the SWRI sheet, and I double checked what I typed; no mistakes. However, if their sheet had an error, I would only know how to regurgitate what they publish and not be able to discern a mistake in regard to air intake temps, etc. But, their data seemed reasonable to me if applied in real world ops, at least at face value. I would defer to A Harman and dusty and TT as they have experience in real world trucking and heavy duty diesel development engineering.

Just don't loose sight of the fact that this is ALT (accelerated life-cycle testing) and they do manipulate things purposefully to cause/induce the failure modes they seek. It's not "wrong" to do this, but it often does not translate well into reality for most folks. They do this to cause a delineation of some parameter in the test subject, be it oil, filters, hoses, belts, tooth brushes, audio speakers, semi-auto rifle bolts, etc etc. Keep this in mind about ALTs:
- The data they generate does often reveal some product performance disparity when multiple options are present; one thing will most often usurp another.
- The data they generate gives a very clear view of how things perform in a world we likely may never visit because they conditions they induce are not typically replicated by life's actual events.

The fact that these two Amsoil fluids did so well should not be ignored. This is a very abusive test, and they fared very well. But even the normal dino oil surpassed the test threshold by 6 hours. If you were to run your heavily loaded rig uphill for 7 straight days non-stop, and had very high ambient temps, and never OCI'd in that duration, this may make you want to consider using a premium PAO product. If not, well then it's kind of a moot point. What we cannot assume is that any linear relationahip exists in the data stream. Failure may come rather abruptly towards the end of each unique product performance collapse. 30 hours of "test" time is a pass. But once you accelerate into phase two, it's likely a parabolic escalation of abuse.

The DD scuffing test is very, very abusive. Anything that passes that test will do well in most any application the real world will present. Being able to surpass that test by some gross margin is admirable, but it's hardly necessary.
Or, to put it into one of my infamous analogies ...
Do you really need to be able to run a marathon, if you're only walking the mail to the end of your driveway?

Last edited:
In the old days when I drove truck we would run 2100 RPM top gear as possible for hours and hours in the less populated states with the 290 and 350 HP Cummins. That was 69 to 80 mph and the guys with the big Cat engines would pass us like we were standing still. Those were the good old days The trucks weren't as plush but it was fun.

Originally Posted By: CT8
In the old days when I drove truck we would run 2100 RPM top gear as possible for hours and hours in the less populated states with the 290 and 350 HP Cummins. That was 69 to 80 mph and the guys with the big Cat engines would pass us like we were standing still. Those were the good old days The trucks weren't as plush but it was fun.

thumbsup2.gif
I'm only 45 and missed out on driving those trucks in OTR, but I grew up on a farm with tri-axle dumps and multiple family members as both local and OTR drivers. At 13 years old I was proficient with a 13 speed behind a 238 Detroit, 290 & 350 Cummins and later on a 400 Cat. I'm enjoying the quiet, super smooth and powerful trucks of the last 20 years, but I'm glad that I got to experience the trucks of the 70s and 80s. They had "character".
smile.gif

Just wanted to be clear that I'm not questioning anything from dnewton, nor A_Harman. I'm just an owner/op who observes what I can and reporting it here. I can't say anything about the exhaust pressure, coolant flow or fuel temps listed in the info Dave provided, but coolant temp, oil temp and intake air temps are all just normal in real world operation when working in warm/hot temps with a load.

It's great knowing what the test entails. Like dnewton says, any oil that passes is going to be great in normal service. There aren't any mountains to stress an engine/oil like that(for that long). The Amsoil PAO's would be fine oils and if they were available in stores, I could see myself trying them. I'm not against Amsoil, but the "big 3" oil brands are easy to get and pass the Detroit tests, too.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to be MB 229.52 compliant.

Finding oils listed on the MBevo list of 229.52 compatible oils is laughable in the US.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

Finding oils listed on the MBevo list of 229.52 compatible oils is laughable in the US.

Wrong thread? MB 229.52 is not a heavy duty spec. 228.31 is.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

Wrong thread? MB 229.52 is not a heavy duty spec. 228.31 is.

Im looking for any thread where I might find that oil, but I guess heavy duty is more big rig oriented than something like a sprinter.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8

I could see that being true for the "old days". My current truck, a 2013 Freightliner, if I get it into top gear (which it has never been in) I would be turning 1600 RPM at 103 mph. It is a factory remanned MY 2000 Detroit 12.7L with an 18 spd behind it turning 2.64 rear diffs. I typically just loaf along at 62-65 in 16th gear which has be between 1425 and 1475 RPM.

Funny, I have been trucking for better part of 4 decades, and there is nothing about the "good 'ol days" of trucking that I miss. If I had to go back and do things that I had to do in the 80's, I would rapidly find another line of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back