A show for the neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did plugs and wires today in the Suburban 5.3. Pulled original plugs with 108k and opted to do wires, too. All went pretty much to plan until I got to the last plug on the back passenger side. Long story short, not being a small person with small hands or wrists, I ended up laying across the front frame bar that runs the width of the vehicle, as a means of reaching with my right hand the plug and wire. I'm sure the neighbors were humored to see me like that. But, the plug is in, the wire is on and after five miles of driving, the idle is good and the CEL is off. Good way to spend $100, knowing they're done for 100k miles. (Much to the neighborhood's disappointment, I'm sure.)

What CEL code had you gotten? Kira

ps When I was 16 or 17 I did plugs in my b-i-l's 1970 Dodge Charger w/383 Magnum engine.
The LR sparky-poo (encumbered by the steering gear) was original to the car. It had engine paint on it. Its electrode was a nub.
It took every form of Zen or concentration to get to the darn thing.
After that it idled at 1,100 rpm.

Originally Posted By: Kira
What CEL code had you gotten? Kira

ps When I was 16 or 17 I did plugs in my b-i-l's 1970 Dodge Charger w/383 Magnum engine.
The LR sparky-poo (encumbered by the steering gear) was original to the car. It had engine paint on it. Its electrode was a nub.
It took every form of Zen or concentration to get to the darn thing.
After that it idled at 1,100 rpm.
Those c
Chrysler engines of that era had some serious grunt.

Hadn't gotten a CEL. But I always look at the dash display with one eye closed after doing plugs. Knock on wood, I've never had a code come up.

In all honesty, the plugs that came out looked fairly decent. These are the 41-110 iridium plugs from AC Delco and they were each still in gap. They'd done their job, though, and it was time for new ones.

Yep. When I did the plugs and wires on my 09 Suburban, I did the other 7 in the time it took me to do that same one. I did it at my brother's shop. I laid across the forks on the forklift over the top of the engine and reached down and did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back