Transmission pan magnet

Can you get a Dorman drain plug kit at parts house ? You can stick magnetic plug in and have an easy drain next time ...

You might lose 4 ounces if you swapped plug later (I find lots of choices on eBay) ...

This wasnt OE? My 60E had one from the factory.

Look at black hole magnets, very strong. Not sure anything from HD or mcmaster is worse... or better.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
Just use the dealer ones, your just going to worry about it.

Very correct, although if you want to extend the life of most trannies, nothing beats a full spin on oil filter conversion. Top of the range tannies now use real filters to catch debris, not just a magnet.

I have a neodimium flat squared magnet of 1 inch side, that I put inside the pan and the thing is getting some material (Metric AX4S Ford Taurus). Maybe The fluid can hardly get to about 100C, but the pan bottom wall where it's attached I find mostly below 85C.

I did the pan drop, drain, and filter change. The factory magnet was loaded with material. The car, 2007 Impala, has had 1 transmission flush at the dealer, and 2 dipstick siphon and fills.

All 1st gear slip/delayed engagement is gone now with a clean magnet/pan, new filter, and Maxlife ATF, which tells me the filter was possibly restricting flow, or there was so much material on the magnet/in the pan it was interfering with the pressure solenoid referenced in the TSB???

Anyhow, I'm happy and will likely just continue doing pan drops/filter changes every 30K, and the next time I'll get the new magnets at the dealer or on Amazon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Nice work - bet the shower after was good too !

The beer is tasting great!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Nice work - bet the shower after was good too !

Mine had to be really hot! Got oil all over with that Ford pan, with lots of screws speeping around... mess.

Heard that - best $10 I ever spent was a drain plug kit ... my 4L60e pan hangs up on front drive shaft so can't pull out level when full of fluid ... and with a spin on filter don't need to do it often now ...

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I say stick a magnet to the outside of the pan and change tranny fluid every 30k-50k miles

If you find an old microwave oven in the rubbish, the magnetron assembly has the most powerful magnet you will encounter. I stuck one on the pan, it is so powerful, a screwdriver is needed to pry it off the pan.

Perhaps someone should be reminded that modern slushboxes have a lot of sensitive electronics in them.

Think about that a minute before attaching a super powerful magnet...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Perhaps someone should be reminded that modern slushboxes have a lot of sensitive electronics in them.

The two neodiddlyum bar magnets in my pan are in the stock fridge magnet locations and are approximately 10 inches away from the TCU.

It's not like you're sticking an electromagnet directly to the TCU.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

You don't go sticking it near a solenoid. Some common sense as far as placement location must be utilized. I wouldn't stick it inside. By placing it outside the pan, a lot of the magnet's power is lost thru the pan itself, I already checked it out..

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the magnet. Too far from solenoids to impact their operation, and too far from the sensors likewise (I'd be more worried about impacting sensors).

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I say stick a magnet to the outside of the pan and change tranny fluid every 30k-50k miles

If you find an old microwave oven in the rubbish, the magnetron assembly has the most powerful magnet you will encounter. I stuck one on the pan, it is so powerful, a screwdriver is needed to pry it off the pan.

Appart from solenoids...

I don't like big strong magnets, because if you endup magnetizing the check valves (steel spheres) of the valve body, it could start to act erractly causing shudder and bad shifting timing. Ford has a procedure to check magnetization of these check valve spheres and demagnetize those that got magnetization.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm very glad to have found this forum/thread.

I am, well, the unfortunate owner of a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 - which has 4t65E tranny. The previous owner had to rebuild the tranny @75K miles, and I got it @80K, so the tranny is still good, and ATF clean.

Whilst I haven't planned to upgrade the pan to the version with drain plug yet (I don't mind dropping the pan - as it gives me the opportunity to properly clean the grit/debris inside it - which I don't think is possible with just draining ATF) - I DO worry about the poor factory magnet, and I have no idea what the gearbox shop put in as replacement magnet when they rebuilt the tranny a couple of years ago.

So, I have bought from a UK online shop (https://e-magnetsuk.com/neodymium_magnets/) some N42 neo magnets - x2 disc magnets of 6KG pull each, which I intend to place inside the pan and on top of the filter at the next filter / ATF change (which isn't due immediately as the AFT is still clear pink) - and a rectangular magnet with 25KG pull, which I intend to immediately place outside the pan - so it can attract any existing/future debris, which I shall scrub off at the next filter change.

After buying these magnets - on second thought - I have a couple of questions re the 25KG pull magnet which I intend to put on the outside of the pan:

1) is 25KG too much of a pull? would it in anyway interfere with parts inside the tranny, or magnetize any parts?

2) would you advise placing something in-between the magnet and pan (e.g. a thick copper or aluminium sheet or plywood) - so reduce the pull to less than 25KG?

3) once placed on the pan, would I be able to pry if off with screwdriver/pry bar - when it comes to cleaning the pan? I haven't dealt with a 25KG pull magnet before so don't know what's it like

Sorry if any of the questions sound silly...

Thank you in advance guys
Namo Amituofo

Welcome to the site.

I can't claim to know anything about those magnets, but I do use inline magnetic filters. Have you ever considered that option?

They require splicing into a cooler line, but then all of the cooler flow is directed over the magnet, and there's a filter element to catch big pieces. I have had good service from Magnefine filters, but several brands are available.

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic
Welcome to the site.

I can't claim to know anything about those magnets, but I do use inline magnetic filters. Have you ever considered that option?

They require splicing into a cooler line, but then all of the cooler flow is directed over the magnet, and there's a filter element to catch big pieces. I have had good service from Magnefine filters, but several brands are available.

Thank you for that. I'll look into inline filter option and see if I can find examples on YT - sounds like a bit of an invasive job for an armature like me
smile.gif

So I bought a lower mile 08 Impala with the slip bang issue which caused this magnet TSB. GM thinks that particles in the fluid affect the pressure sensor and take it below their already too low setting. I dropped the pan a put a few of those neo magnets in and after a few thousand miles it seems to have stopped my problem altogether. I didn't know about a temp limit on the magnets.

Back