Phillips 66 Shield Choice oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I was in Sam's the other day and saw this oil. It looks like it replaces the Trop Artic that Sam's used to sell. Anyone know if it's Trop Artic's replacement? I also noticed that the new Motorcraft bottle design is the same as the Shield Choice bottle. Here are some pics.

Here are the new Motorcraft bottles.

Wayne

Both synth blends bottled by Conoco Phillips. Decent oils for sure and probably the same formulation. It appears ithas replaced the Trop Artic synth blend for CP.

Trop Artic is pretty popular up here.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in my local Orscheln store and I saw they had these new bottles on the shelf. They also had the old TropArtic bottles on the shelf at the same time. Same price on both of them.
They used to put the TropArtic on sale for $2/quart. I'm still waiting for Orscheln to put the Shield Choice on sale. There probably isn't too much difference between them anyway.

Ahhh the Trop Artic name was a classic.
frown.gif
Shield choice sounds like marketing made up by a teenager.

I need to breeze through Wal Mart and see if they have this. They never carried any Phillips products, except for Motorcraft, but who knows now. I haven't been in Wal Mart in almost two months.

My local Walmart had this oil for $1.77/qt so I picked up the 10w-30 they had on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: jimurphy
My local Walmart had this oil for $1.77/qt so I picked up the 10w-30 they had on the shelf.

Nice work

Originally Posted By: wtd
They don't carry the Shield in my Walmart, only Motorcraft.

A decade ago, I most all WalMart stores in the Midwest carried TropArtic. For some reason, most WMs do not carry it anymore. Was it because it was a slow mover or did WM demand something from them that they were not willing to give, who knows? Last I checked, most Sam's Club stores carry it. The nearest WM store that I know carries it, or at least recently carried it, was a WM about an hour from me, but I suspect they only carry it because this WM store is right next to a Sam's Club. The local Orschelns stores carry it, but it hasn't been on sale lately. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that Orschelns now carry both TropArtic and The Shield, both at the same price.

I wonder now, how does this new name compare with the new Motorcraft oils? The shield one doesn't mention titanium on the website. Could they have dropped it?

I've been running switching between the Kendall (from a Ford dealer who changes my oil sometimes) to Motorcraft on my Saturn. Seems to run good with both.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Ahhh the Trop Artic name was a classic.
frown.gif

Though the misspelling was annoying.

Wow, I thought people were just getting it wrong on here...but, the name is really "Artic".
?????????

Originally Posted By: gas3987
The shield one doesn't mention titanium on the website. Could they have dropped it?

I think only the higher end product, Kendall GT-1, is the only one that contains Titanium.

The misspelling always bugged me. And always had me questioning if I had it right or wrong. I thought that the Trop Artic was classic advertising. It really struck me at a young age. The name says it all, "I will protect your engine in the extreme heat and the extreme cold". I started off using Havoline in the early 90's because that's what my older brother used and I could always get it on sale before Hurricane Katrina for 99 cents per quart. Stocked up three or four cases at a time. Looking back, I think I would have run Trop Artic had I been more educated about motor oils at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back