Transmission pan magnet

There is a TSB out for the 4T65E GM transmissions to upgrade and add a magnet to the underside of the filter. I have read on here where people just buy magnets at Home Depot. However, the rare Earth magnets made of neodymium seem to have maximum operating temps of only 100C which is too low for an automatic transmission. Has anyone actually used on in a transmission pan??? What other type of magnet/material would work and can be purchased today!

Thanks.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/1362861-4t65e-hd-delayed-engagement-fix.html

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: sprite1741
I use the Home Depot ones. They won't melt.

They start losing magnetism at high temps though.

But they'll still be stronger than your average stock transmission pan magnet. And unless you overheat the fluid to the point where you trash your transmission, they will regain their original magnetic field strength as they cool.

Effects of heat

Keep in mind you can get N, M, H, and EH magnets, ranging in temperature rating from 80°C to 150°C.

Yep - I can change pan volume, and change spin on filter (that has MagnaFilter pre filter) in 20 minutes ... not messy ...
set up all that with added cooler for around $200 ...

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/faq/What-temperatures-can-magnets-sustain

According to that, ceramic magnets can go to 250C. Should I try that type?

If your transmission fluid ever hits 250°C, your car is probably on fire.

Duh. I'm just wondering which type would be best to use. Which will be stronger and more heat tolerant.

OP

Does the TSB say what kind of Magnet to install ? ? ?
You say "to the underside of the filter" / You mean inside the Pan, right ?
Or stuck to 'outside' of Pan ?

Maybe for now, stick some Neodymium to the outside of Pan.
If they fall off (I doubt) then what's the harm.

Are you going to upgrade according to TSB or just add magnets ? ? ?
What's the TSB Upgrade consist of ?

Pictures I see, the Magnets (inside the Pan) are either Glued or the Pan has dimples to keep them from sliding.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
OP

Does the TSB say what kind of Magnet to install ? ? ?
You say "to the underside of the filter" / You mean inside the Pan, right ?
Or stuck to 'outside' of Pan ?

Maybe for now, stick some Neodymium to the outside of Pan.
If they fall off (I doubt) then what's the harm.

Are you going to upgrade according to TSB or just add magnets ? ? ?
What's the TSB Upgrade consist of ?

Pictures I see, the Magnets (inside the Pan) are either Glued or the Pan has dimples to keep them from sliding.

The TSB says to use upgraded magnets from GM; I'm dropping the pan today and the dealer is closed. Hence the dilemma.

I feel so stupid, I can't believe I did this. I had 2 brand new in the package HD magnets. Just boiled one for 10 minutes at 100C. It was stuck on the bottom of the pan so it probably got hotter from the stove. I can't tell any magnet loss. Used a pair of tongs to hold each magnet and picked up a heavy hammer. No difference between the hot one and the cold one. I will use the HD ones and not worry about stupid things.

Which Home Depot magnets did you use specifically?

No need to call this stupid.
wink.gif
I'm not gonna risk a transmission over a magnet unless I [censored] well know it's safe to use.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
Just use the dealer ones, your just going to worry about it.

The dealer is closed to day and I'm doing the job in about an hour.

Can you just show me on HDs website which magnets you used? I'm at least gonna stick one on the outside. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back