New M1 filters at Walmart $10 and good for 20k

Status
Not open for further replies.
They might be a consolidate line, though. They also have an A after the part number, for example, M1-102A. So I'm not sure whether these are special filters just for Walmart, or are they all going to have the A eventually now that they're good for 20k instead of 15k.

There's no M1-209A, but there is both an M1-108A and M1-110A. The only cartridge M1 at Walmart is the M1C-251A (the Toyota GR V6), which is priced at $15.97.

The new M1 is still not a wire-backed synthetic. They still seem to be the same Champ construction they've always been, and had recent date codes (November 2016 to January 2017). So the bankruptcy has not affected M1 filters AFAIK. And they had the slotted center tube. All louvers, no round holes.

IMG_20170218_163548743.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like they're trying to compete directly with the Fram Ultra since they're stating the mileage unabashed. Price ain't bad too.

Originally Posted By: car51
I might snag one
Tomorrow morning and cut one open

Man if you could do that it would take care of our curiosity....it sure has me curious..and you always are doing us a great service cutting these filters open..thank you again for doing what you do!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Ultras are supposed to get new packaging showing good for up to 24k

Are the ultras different or are they just claiming 24k now?

IMO ... A=Annual ... remember the Annual Protection thread ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Ultras are supposed to get new packaging showing good for up to 24k

Are the ultras different or are they just claiming 24k now?

Jay said they are making minor changes to them so not sure unless he'll tell us what the changes are. It could be thicker paint to last longer without rusting or the media could be better... Who knows

I doubt the 20k or 24k numbers mean anything. You have to read their guarantee. Like the numbers for some cheaper filters say 5k but the guarantee is the same for all the filters they sell. All the filters are guaranteed to last the duration as specified in the owner's manual. Nothing more noting less.

The box appears to say one year or 20k. That fits for me as I drive just over 5k per year on the car, so I keep my 5k oil and filter plan. Makes sense to me as people who drive so little are more likely to be running cold more, and sludging up their engines, possibly.

My conclusion: since the Champions Laboratories bankruptcy went final, either they don't make the M1 filter any longer, or Mobil corporate keeps them from being listed on the Champion web site, as they were before the bankruptcy.

Looks like the box isn't wrapped in plastic which will allow users to check the filter before buying, namely the louvers to make sure they are all open.

FRAM Ultra still a better deal overall.

Jay (motorking) confirmed that Champion Labs is no longer part of the Fram Group, I would be a little concerned somewhat with the Mobil 1 filters going forward-not saying they would be bad, but it would be a little tougher to find info on them without Jay helping us out, as he ALWAYS does!

Seen these now occupying the shelf space of the closed out Fram HM filters and BD+. But at ~$10 not worth it imo when compared to FU which majority go for ~$9 also at WM. Still Champ made though (completely separate from ff as confirmed HERE).

One thing not noted in OP, for those it matters to the WM M1 efficiency is box rated at >30um.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back