Street/track oil suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its time to change the oil in my summer ride again. It's equipped with a Chevrolet 6.0l LS engine. Aftermarket cam, heads, valvetrain, stock bearings and bottom end. This summer the car will see several thousand miles of highway cruising, several hours of sustained high RPM on a road course, and several dozen drag strip passes. I don't have an oil cooler, But I try to keep it under 250*F.

What oil would guys recommend? Trying to stay under $10/qt. Car doesn't have cats, so I'm not restricted as to what formulation I can run. Needs to be available in a 10w30 or 5w30.

Last edited:
I'd start with M1 0W-40, personally. But that's been my 'go to' track oil for a while now. Doesn't Chevy recommend 0W-40 in the Corvette LS motor when on track?

robert

In my old street (grudge) car I had an 80mm turbo (gt4708r) junkyard 6.0l ls setup that made 750whp. I did lots of highway driving, hundreds of 1/8th mile passes, and the like. I ran Rotella t6 but I did have an oil cooler. Car never burned much oil or anything. I miss that car dearly.

Mobil 1 15w50. GM even recommends it with their LS engines in the owners manual. And you can get it pretty easily.

If the 30 grade is an absolute must, then I would just go with Royal Purple HPS 5 or 10w30.

Last edited:
Does power peak @ around 6200 rpm? Do you use a rev limiter? I think stock setting is 5200 rpm. Do lower 5w-30/10w-30 grades ensure oil by-pass valve stays closed?

Originally Posted By: AIRJAC3
Mobil 1 15w50. GM even recommends it with their LS engines in the owners manual. And you can get it pretty easily.

If the 30 grade is an absolute must, then I would just go with Royal Purple HPS 5 or 10w30.

I try to stick to a 30wt. I have a pretty stout oil pump setup and tight bearing clearance. any heavier and it makes 100psi at high RPM. /

Originally Posted By: jorton
Does power peak @ around 6200 rpm? Do you use a rev limiter? I think stock setting is 5200 rpm. Do lower 5w-30/10w-30 grades ensure oil by-pass valve stays closed?

Still making power at 7,000rpm. That's all the faster i'll spin it due to stock rods and bolts. I have the AFM oil bypass plugged. The oil pump is shimmed to 80psi. But it will spike to 100psi at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back