PUP in stock at Wally World but ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been checking frequently to see when PUP 5W30 in the 5qt jugs would be back in stock at Walmart. I noticed last night Walmart had PUP 5W30 in the new packaging in stock but ouch it is priced at $53.71 for the 5qt jug. I liked PUP for my vehicles when it was under $28. for the 5qt jug but not sure it is worth over $53 dollars when M1, Castrol, and other fine synthetic oils including PP are almost $30. less for 5qt jug.

Thoughts?

Totally not worth that cost over any other main stream synthetic oil. You can buy Amsoil SSO for $32.50 a gallon.
laugh.gif

Yeah, wow, that's high dollar. It can sometimes make sense to use price to try and differentiate a product, but geeze.

robert

Is it just me, or does SOPUS seem to want Ultra to fail? I'm sure there's more to it than that, obviously. I used Ultra for a while when I found some on clearance for $15 for a 5 qt. jug. Then I bought some more when it went to GTL with mail in rebates (which I never received). Now, I never see it stocked in any Walmart (don't all BITOGers go straight to the oil section?
grin.gif
) and if I did, I sure ain't paying over $28 for it.

I know at my local Walmart, I can find about any flavor of Mobil 1 or Castrol in stock at any time.

I have no idea why they play games, but if you have a bit of patience and wait, you'll find the price comes back down. I've seen it on WMT and AMZN for over $100 for a 5 quart jug, along with Mobil 1 and a few others from time to time. Then they get it in stock and the price becomes, normal again. When I see normal prices I buy a year or two supply, that has been working well for me, but I have a lot of patience.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Totally not worth that cost over any other main stream synthetic oil. You can buy Amsoil SSO for $32.50 a gallon.
laugh.gif

Quite. And you can count on that because the Amsoil price doesn't jump around on a whim.

Originally Posted By: lonestar
I have been checking frequently to see when PUP 5W30 in the 5qt jugs would be back in stock at Walmart. I noticed last night Walmart had PUP 5W30 in the new packaging in stock but ouch it is priced at $53.71 for the 5qt jug. I liked PUP for my vehicles when it was under $28. for the 5qt jug but not sure it is worth over $53 dollars when M1, Castrol, and other fine synthetic oils including PP are almost $30. less for 5qt jug.

Thoughts?

I think you have to really look at what is being sold and who's selling it. My guess is that you're looking online and not physically in the store and another party is selling and fulfilling orders through the Wal Mart website. It's not specifically Wal Mart.

A week or two ago, there was what looked to be a 5 qt. jug of PP online for $112 which was being sold by a third party and the $112 was for (3) 5 qt. jugs. Admittedly, not a great price...but again, it ain't really Wal Mart, it someone providing "pass through" fulfillment of the orders.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

Thoughts?

I think you have to really look at what is being sold and who's selling it. My guess is that you're looking online and not physically in the store and another party is selling and fulfilling orders through the Wal Mart website. It's not specifically Wal Mart.

A week or two ago, there was what looked to be a 5 qt. jug of PP online for $112 which was being sold by a third party and the $112 was for (3) 5 qt. jugs. Admittedly, not a great price...but again, it ain't really Wal Mart, it someone providing "pass through" fulfillment of the orders.

That's what I'm thinking too. For instance,Walmart's website has Edge 5W50 at $10 a quart,sold by some hot rod shop "through" Walmart.com,not sold "by" Walmart.

the third party sellers know whats hot and try to profit on it. Don't pay the price and it will come down ...until then visit the store\s regularly. I have found that in the bad part of town the "boutique" oils (synthetics) are in stock more as folks buy the cheaper house brand.

Lonestar did you see that price in the store or online?

I have a hard time believing WM would even allow PUP to be sold for that much. Over $10/qt is more than the cost of individual quart bottles of PUP and we're talking about the bulk jug.

Here is the 1qt of PUP sold by WM. Price is high but expected.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/36142651?wmls...13=&veh=sem

Keep in mind that WM allows third parties to sell on its website just like Amazon.

Holy Moly. That is nutty. I wanted to use it when the warranty was up on the terrain and Equinox but for that price I cant see the need. Looks like regular PP for me

Within a few weeks they'll have it back in stock for $27.97 and shipped free for orders totaling $50 or more. They seem to have a problem keeping the stuff in stock for online sales. That can be annoying, and is why I currently have a two year supply on hand. That allows me to wait for Rollback prices and a Pennzoil rebate to coincide with it.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Keep in mind that WM allows third parties to sell on its website just like Amazon.

That's exactly it. As another example, a seller called "UnbeatableSale" on Walmart.com is selling Platinum 10W-30 5 quart jugs for $112.66 plus shipping, which is obviously not Walmart's own pricing.

Walmart's pricing on Ultra Platinum 5W-30 is only $27.97, but it's currently out of stock.

When browsing at WM website, first choose Pick Up in Store Only.
That way, you make sure that you shop from Uncle Wally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Padawan
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

That's exactly it. As another example, a seller called "UnbeatableSale" on Walmart.com is selling Platinum 10W-30 5 quart jugs for $112.66 plus shipping, which is obviously not Walmart's own pricing.

Yes that's exactly what it is. I ignore those sellers, and wait until WMT has it in stock again.

I'm curious who actually orders a $113 bottle of Pennzoil... I'd love that kind of expendable income... lol

Thoughts?

Up in Canada it's stocked at Canadian tire stores. A 5 liter jug which is a bit more than 5 quarts is on sale for $37 and change CDN. That's around $25-27 USD with the exchange rate. They only sell three weights up here 0w-20, 5w-20 and 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back