Tyres for Jaguar XJR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers!

Stock tyres for my XJR are 255/40-18. They are not so common - available, though but quite expensive. Also, very wide and low profiled for our somewhat rough roads.

Several Jaguar owner have told that they have gone with a slightly narrower tyre. I have been playing with a tyre calculator and would be interested to get either 245/40-18 or 245/45-18 tyres.

Two interesting alternatives were offered me today: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 and Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

Pricewise they are about the same.

Any opinions/experiences of either of these, please?

Originally Posted By: Finn
Cheers!

Stock tyres for my XJR are 255/40-18. They are not so common - available, though but quite expensive. Also, very wide and low profiled for our somewhat rough roads.

Several Jaguar owner have told that they have gone with a slightly narrower tyre. I have been playing with a tyre calculator and would be interested to get either 245/40-18 or 245/45-18 tyres.

245/40 has an even shorter sidewall than 255/40, so I would scratch this one off your list.
If the 245/45/18 has at least as high load rating as the stock 255/40/18, then this could be a viable option.

Quote:
Two interesting alternatives were offered me today: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 and Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

Based on what I've read, I think I'd go with the Pilot Sports.

50% of the ride quality of a car is in the tires ... I'd dump the 18's as fast as I could and get the smallest diameter alloy rims that will fit over your brakes. Width can stay same. Then do tires on those. Sidewall makes for ride on rough'ish roads. Something in the 55 or 60 aspect ratio will help immensely.

If you are not doing track days, 40's are not needed on public roads...

Last edited:
Broc, the problem is that going to a smaller wheel size will put him into even more of a bind when it comes to tire selection.

Smaller wheels on big cars is not common enough anymore for tire makers to care about making a good tire anymore.

But with his 12.8" or 14" (Brembo package) rotors, he is not going to get much smaller.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
50% of the ride quality of a car is in the tires ... I'd dump the 18's as fast as I could and get the smallest diameter alloy rims that will fit over your brakes. Width can stay same. Then do tires on those. Sidewall makes for ride on rough'ish roads. Something in the 55 or 60 aspect ratio will help immensely.

If you are not doing track days, 40's are not needed on public roads...

And it'll look like a$$... LOL

Not to mention it won't clear his brakes. This ain't a Camry. OP, the Michelin PS4 would serve you well. I'm assuming based on your location that you have summer/winter setups?

Well, tyre things got postponed because of other things such as brakes and so on.

I agonized for a long time about the tyres and finally told my tyre guy to order Continental PremiumContact 6 in 245/45-18. I did have second thoughts and almost changed my order next morning to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 but I saw another set of Continentals live and decided to go with original plan.

They are 'Made in Germany' and should arrive week 27.

A9Ag9J7.jpg

Thank you all for comments and advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back