Rutgers barred students from career fair

Status
Not open for further replies.
First step in getting hired for a job, is to correctly fill out the application.

This was a good lesson

wink.gif

It's idiotic to expect a college student to go buy a black or dark grey suit if they already have a dark blue suit...wow, it's not like kids were wearing wife beaters and jams to the fair, how stupid. Heck, they show the prez of Rutgers wearing a dark blue pinstripe...

Originally Posted By: surfstar
First step in getting hired for a job, is to correctly fill out the application.

This was a good lesson

wink.gif

Agreed.

Although I do not agree with a suit color requirement (and note that if someone had an issue it should have been discussed BEFORE the job fair), there nevertheless was a requirement to interview. The article did not say, but perhaps the standards were created by the interviewing companies and not Rutgers.

Edit: Rutgers' minimum tuition is more than $31k per semester; so it is not like these students could not afford to show up in the correct clothing.

Last edited:
Quote:
The university implemented the dress code after feedback from employers, according to the report. In previous years, Rutgers students failed to present themselves well at the event, the university told the student newspaper.

A flier with the dress code provided specific detail on what student should and should not wear.

It sounds pretty simple. The school was getting negative feedback regarding the students choice of clothing. The school sent out some information regarding dress code requirements. Some students were so incapable that they couldn't even follow the simple directions and were turned away. Now the buttercups are crying because of their own incompetence.

Agreed. I think many employers do simple things like this to weed out the dopes who won't read the application/interview instructions. They want reliable employees who can do basic things like read, understand, and follow instructions and this is an easy test to filter out those who can't.

If they looked decent they should have been let in. Not everyone wants to look like a 90 year old man wearing the most boring suit possible.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Agreed.

Although I do not agree with a suit color requirement (and note that if someone had an issue it should have been discussed BEFORE the job fair), there nevertheless was a requirement to interview. The article did not say, but perhaps the standards were created by the interviewing companies and not Rutgers.

Edit: Rutgers' minimum tuition is more than $31k per semester; so it is not like these students could not afford to show up in the correct clothing.

Guess you've never heard of financial aid?
I went to a very expensive private school but paid no tuition, just room and board...even then, I didn't have lots of spare cash laying around for buying extra suits. I even wore a horrible old clip on tie to my on campus interviews, luckily I had a friend give me a real tie and teach me a half Windsor before I flew out for my plant trips.
Also know a kid who is going to Rutgers on a free ride for sports, by coincidence. Will have to warn her about buying the right color dress and shoes.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If they looked decent they should have been let in. Not everyone wants to look like a 90 year old man wearing the most boring suit possible.

This isn't about what the students want. As mentioned above, companies will sometimes require specific dress codes for interviews to weed out people who won't or can't follow specific instructions. Attention to detail is a required skill for many professional jobs.

In my outfit, applicants are sent dress instructions with their interview date and time. It only says "business", which means a suit to most people. Slacks and a dress shirt are okay. There's also a phone number and email address where they can make inquiries about the interview process. I've only ever gotten one call; I steered a low-income applicant to a local thrift store so he could dress the part. I won't interview anyone who shows up with jeans or a t-shirt.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I thought modern technology companies have a hoodie dress code. That's what that Facebook guy wears 90% of the time.

I stand out a bit in my tech company office because I still wear button down long sleeve dress shirts and chinos...most of my coworkers, even managers, wear jeans and polos or tshirts.
I wore a blazer and a tie for a day of customer meetings in the Bay Area some time ago and the salespeople laughed their heads off at me...they said that was viewed as horribly old fashioned and a dress shirt with jeans was generally seen as formal in Silicon Valley. It was funny because I was one of the youngest people in the meetings...

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

This isn't about what the students want. As mentioned above, companies will sometimes require specific dress codes for interviews to weed out people who won't or can't follow specific instructions. Attention to detail is a required skill for many professional jobs.

In my outfit, applicants are sent dress instructions with their interview date and time. It only says "business", which means a suit to most people. Slacks and a dress shirt are okay. There's also a phone number and email address where they can make inquiries about the interview process. I've only ever gotten one call; I steered a low-income applicant to a local thrift store so he could dress the part. I won't interview anyone who shows up with jeans or a t-shirt.

This all makes sense, but turning kids away over dark blue vs. dark grey is just asinine. Rutgers should be focused on helping their students find jobs, not on teaching them about picking nits.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

This all makes sense, but turning kids away over dark blue vs. dark grey is just asinine. Rutgers should be focused on helping their students find jobs, not on teaching them about picking nits.

Agreed

If you show up in a suit and tie, you're making an effort to look presentable and professional.

If they were turning people away for wearing t-shirts and shorts, then that would be a different story.

"Sorry sir your suit is the wrong shade of blue" gotta be kidding me lol

No, it is NOT asinine.

I work in aerospace, and sometimes when billions of $$$$ worth of contracts are on the line, you will wear the proper suit when you appear before the secretary of defense, dammit!

Now, we are doing a plane for Sir Richard Branson as well, so naturally HE can wear what he feels comfortable in.... but professionalism is STILL expected from those responsible for designing, engineering and building products that go into space.

I totally agree with Rutgers,these adults were informed of a dress code which they violated. Once these adult children show up for work one day,if they violate dress code,they will be shown the door there too. Rules and regulations are all a part of being a functioning grown up.

It's not about the suit color, it's about teaching them attention to detail. If an applicant can't get that right for whatever reason, what other corners will they cut? They either learned a good lesson, or are blaming someone else for their mistake.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

No, it is NOT asinine.

I work in aerospace, and sometimes when billions of $$$$ worth of contracts are on the line, you will wear the proper suit when you appear before the secretary of defense, dammit!

Now, we are doing a plane for Sir Richard Branson as well, so naturally HE can wear what he feels comfortable in.... but professionalism is STILL expected from those responsible for designing, engineering and building products that go into space.

Are you really suggesting that ANYBODY other than some self-important functionary at Rutgers really cares whether you wear a dark blue or dark grey suit?

It must be nice to have had parents who paid your way through your younger years. When I was in college I could barely rub two nickles together, let alone unnecessarily buy a suit that is a slightly different color than the one I already owned.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

It's not about the suit color, it's about teaching them attention to detail. If an applicant can't get that right for whatever reason, what other corners will they cut? They either learned a good lesson, or are blaming someone else for their mistake.

I still maintain that it's idiotic to assume that college students have a variety of suits in their closet or have the money on hand to buy a new suit at a moment's notice. I had one Men's Wearhouse suit for my interviews in college and I've already mentioned the donated tie.

I still maintain that it's idiotic to assume that college students have a variety of suits in their closet or have the money on hand to buy a new suit at a moment's notice. I had one Men's Wearhouse suit for my interviews in college and I've already mentioned the donated tie.

It probably is. Some one mentioned the schools cost like that means all the students are rich. Schools are pretty expensive, most of them are probably running on loans not parents dropping 30k a year for them. I wonder how well the flyer was distributed for the job fair dress code? From my experience, school communications are pretty bad. Some one probably forgot to send it or attach it to the original job fair announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back