Price Difference of Premium vs Regular

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last decade here in north Idaho, there has been a 20 cent difference per gallon for Conoco premium versus Conoco regular. But recently the difference has increased to 25 cents.

What is the reason for the increase? What is the price differential in your geographical area?

Last edited:
Historically it was 10cents per grade
example

1.99 reg (87)
2.09 super (89)
2.19 premium (92-93)

Then it went to 20cents between grades

NOW it cant be 60-70cents between reg and premium

last week gas was 1.68$ for 87 1.98 for 89 and 2.38 for 93

of course since its NE ohio we fluctuate 30-40cents at a time(speedway effect)

So 3 days ago the gas is now 2.09, 2.39, 2.69

but 20miles east near kent,oh it was still 1.81

Ranges from .29 (Sam's Club) to .60 (Casey's General Store) in the Kansas City area. Don't see any rhyme or reason to the differences.

RUG is the price leader, plus & premium is where the station (& oil co.) make the extra $. I've seen the difference between Top Tier regular & premium as high as $1/gallon!

60 cent difference between ethanol free premium and regular a couple days ago when I needed gas for my chainsaw.

Originally Posted By: JBinKC
60 cent difference between ethanol free premium and regular a couple days ago when I needed gas for my chainsaw.

Only ethanol free here is 90octane recreational gas usually around $3.79-$3.99

or marina gas at a similar price.

Seems like the differential here grows when the price of regular drops...I suspect they are trying to attract customers by posting the low regular price in huge numbers and then socking it to those who have to buy midgrade or premium, they are probably less likely to drive off after they've gotten out of their car to read the tiny numbers for those on the pump. The differential can easily be 70 cents, don't think I've seen it be less than 40 cents in quite some time. Seems to me that stations that are more rural and/or off the beaten path tend to have a smaller differential...
I can't remember the details for sure, but I think I drove off from a local Shell station when they had an 80 cent differential...there was a Mobil nearby that was not so crazy, but most of their pumps were not working for some reason. Ended up at Crazy Ed's Cheep Gazz N Booze and putting some Techron in the car later... ;^)

Currently, it's about 12-15 cents a gallon separating 87 regular and 91 premium. I'd speculate that the difference would be closer in states that mandate "clean air" gas like California versus the Midwest. I don't know what the gas price is in Northern Idaho but I already pay .50 more/gallon than the national average so I look at the 12-15 cent disparity as about right.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Currently, it's about 12-15 cents a gallon separating 87 regular and 91 premium. I'd speculate that the difference would be closer in states that mandate "clean air" gas like California versus the Midwest. I don't know what the gas price is in Northern Idaho but I already pay .50 more/gallon than the national average so I look at the 12-15 cent disparity as about right.

So its only 12 cents between 87 and 91??? wow 1/5 the difference here.

Also we have 93 instead of 91, except 92 at speedway

We do have clean air gas mandated in the summer here and an emissions check.

16-19 cents per litre more here depending on the station, 19 cents difference at Shell while 16 cents at the co op

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I don't know what the gas price is in Northern Idaho but I already pay .50 more/gallon than the national average so I look at the 12-15 cent disparity as about right.

When I bought Conoco E10 91oct last week, it was $2.70/gal, and the E10 87oct was $2.45/gal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back