Why Rotella T6 over a Euro 0w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the T6 PDF we have the following approvals:

All the ACEA listings are for Diesel engines, not gas ones.

Normally, when I've looked at oils that are rated for both, they flatly state it with a star burst symbol (if memory serves). The T6 does not have that.

In the brochure they even say it is for Diesel engines (and they don't mention gasoline):

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

SM, SL and SH are API gas approvals.

Where do you see "gas" approvals in that T6 PDF from Shell?
It does have Diesel approvals but not gas ones (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Additionally, on those aforementioned Kia/Hyundai forums, they talked directly with a Shell Chemical Engineer and he flatly stated it was not for our gas engines and recommended several other Shell products.

Right where it lists "SM" under Specifications and Approvals.

This argument and the supposed communication with someone from Shell comes up on here from time to time, you're not the first one by any stretch to bring it up. The bottom line is that regardless of any sideline communications with Shell, if they really didn't want the oil used in a gasoline engine then they wouldn't list SM or any other gasoline specification on the list. The whole issue is moot with a properly operating engine anyway. Show me where it has anything to do with potential "deposits and sludge" as you claim.

Besides, isn't it SN now anyway? And elsewhere on the website it says this:

Quote:
Shell ROTELLA® T6 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil

Introducing an engine oil that performs extremely well in diesel and gasoline engines, meeting API CK-4 and SN performance standards.

Additionally, on those aforementioned Kia/Hyundai forums, they talked directly with a Shell Chemical Engineer and he flatly stated it was not for our gas engines and recommended several other Shell products.

Either there was a misunderstanding or Shell is just sticking with recommending their PCMO's for gassers and their HDEO's for diesels.

As I said above, Hyundai is very lenient with their oil recommendations. From the few OM's I've seen, they basically say use whatever is available. Shell is most likely unaware of this as well.

Normally, when I've looked at oils that are rated for both, they flatly state it with a star burst symbol (if memory serves). The T6 does not have that.

But the API listings are for gas.

That oil is never going to have a Starburst symbol, that doesn't indicate a dual-rated oil. Having dual ratings means it's a dual rated oil.

If you do a word search on that T6 product PDF (the defacto statement about what their product is or is not), even the word gasoline is not found. Diesel sure is multiple times.

Fellows, run what oil you want in your engines - it is a free country.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

But the API listings are for gas.

That oil is never going to have a Starburst symbol. It doesn't indicate a dual-rated oil.

Very true.

The starburst is a whole other can of worms. Many threads here on the subject on how/ why Euro oils, which are gas rated, do not have the starburst.

Castrol 0w30 for example.

If you do a word search on that T6 product PDF (the defacto statement about what their product is or is not), even the word gasoline is not found. Diesel sure is multiple times.

Fellows, run what oil you want in our engines - it is a free country.

You are simply failing to listen. We tried explaining it to you..

Good day buddy. Yes.. Use what you want.
cheers3.gif

Fellows, run what oil you want in our engines - it is a free country.

Lol, OK.

In trying to remember about the API Starburst symbol verbiage, I came across this:

API "Motor Oil Matters"

If you take a look at point #4 in the first page, they DO mention that oils that CAN be used in both gas and diesel engines will have both certifications but that the ORDER of the certifications is important and that it "may not provide all the performance requirements consistent with vehicle manufacturers' recommendations for gasoline-fueled vehicles."

There are just too many other better options that DO meet what my OEM says I should use to pick from to use it.
Our DI engines (and not to conflate this with other folks use of T6 in their gas engines) are known for fuel dilution and blow-by and from what I've learned (rightly or wrongly) the additive packages in the oil is tailored for it's intended application to prevent acids and sludge from forming based on what fuel (gas/diesel) you are running.

Last edited:
Ok - but still thinking the T6's NOACK is not what I want for GDI - so I have but one I'd run T6 in and already bought Delvac dino for that at $12/gallon ... (4.3 HTHS)
0w40's have numbers that look like GIV synthetic to me - and OEM approvals matter - so let's don't leave this as another like for like thread ...

If I understand correctly, the list is specifications and approvals. The list starts with specifications. SM, SL, and SH are specifications, not approvals.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
If I understand correctly, the list is specifications and approvals. The list starts with specifications. SM, SL, and SH are specifications, not approvals.

The verbiage confuses me.

Specification vs. approval.. I am not sure I know the difference. If you want to get technical though, I believe they are called classifications.

T6 can be used in gas engines issue free. That much I do know.

The API SM rating that you just shared is for gasoline. Oy.

T6 also has the JASO rating for motorcycle use. Gasoline motorcycles.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

The API SM rating that you just shared is for gasoline. Oy.

T6 also has the JASO rating for motorcycle use. Gasoline motorcycles.

See four posts up for the more complete picture I was attempting (poorly apparently) to get at and check out the API PDF file I linked to.

Back to the original question, reasons why you might use T6? An HDEO 5w40 may be more shear stable than a light-duty 0w40.

IMHO: Picking which oil to use for your specific car/truck is more nuanced than just picking a grade and brand. And sometimes this is a PITA!

For example, Kia (for my car) recently released a TSB (#076) that attempts to clarify their recommendations for their 2.0T turbo engine. This is due to many oil issues (primarily sludging) their owners have experienced. What results (rod knock) is a whole other thread!

So Kia says the following in their TSB:

"Recommendation:
-ACEA A5 or above/5W-30
Allowed Oil Grade
-API SL, SM or above
-ILSAC GHF-3, GF-4 or above
-ACEA A3, A5 or above
Allowed SAE Viscosity
5W-30/5W-40

* Notice
For best performance and maximum protection during all types of operation, select only those lubricants which:
1. Satisfy the requirements for API, ILSAC or ACEA classification.
2. Have proper SAE grade number for expected ambient temperature range.
2. Lubricants with neither SAE grade number, API, ILSAC and ACEA service classifications on the container should not be used."

So when I look at what oil I should run, I'm going to stick as close to those specifics (as many as possible is better) that I can for my GDI Turbo engine. That is my opinion in understanding Kia's requirements and knowing I have a nice 10YR/100K mile power-train warranty (upgraded in 2016 to 120K on the short block) I'd like to keep.

Based on this, I would NEVER run Rotella T6 5W-40 in my engine! It is a fine oil for the right application, which clearly is aimed at diesel applications as the primary user.

So what have I done?
Historically, I've run M1 0W-40 Euro oil (since new) which is API SN, ACEA A3/B4 rated oil but does NOT meet ILSAC GF-4 or above. It has been a compromise. Since I don't "have" to meet LL-01, I think the newer "FS" version would still be fine by the numbers. The UOA's may indicate otherwise.

On the other hand, Castrol Edge (GC or BC) 0W-40 Euro oil (by these requirements for my car) is a better oil for me to use as it is API SN, ACEA A3/B4 AND is ILSAC GF-3,4,5 rated. The fact that it has Ti as a marketing claim of better wear resistance is a potential plus (to be bore out by results as best we can know them).

Rotella T6 5W-40 on the other hand is ONLY API SM rated (according to their T6 PDF file in their website) in my application and does not meet the ACEA or ILSAC requirements I need. So it is a "non-starter" for me. However, that might not be an issue for other people's cars and I think I was being too pig-headed about it. Sorry dudes.

Guys, I'm not attempting to start a "flame war" and I'm sure attempting to learn as much on the subject as I can but this is where I'm at on the subject for MY CAR. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back