Anyone run Supertech 15w-40 with goodresults?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's prolly been discussed already, but wondering if anyone is running this oil and liked it, hated it, or didn't notice any different. At $3 less per gallon, that could be a significant savings, but I don't want a "get what you pay for" scenario here either. Oil is pretty important in the 7.3 due to the HUEI systems in them.

I used SuperTech only as a top off oil in my ag tractor. My father in law owned an F250 with the 7.3L engine, and he only used Rotella T or Motorcraft for his oil changes. If I continued to own that truck, I would have done the same.

A recent PQIA test within the last year made the ST 15w40 look rather favorable. I've used it most recently for breaking in a flat tappet camshaft on a 454 Big Block Chevrolet that I built to sell. The new owner of that BBC has the engine in his Fleetwood motor home in Arizona now and the engine has about 12,000 miles on it since I rebuilt it all on ST 15w40 at 5,000 mile OCI, he reports no oil consumption even on his trip from Michigan to Arizona this fall towing a Suburban behind the class A motor home across the country. It's made by Warren at least when I've purchased it and has performed flawlessly in everything I've used it in. I would continue to use it with confidence as will the new owner of the 454 I built.

I used the Supertech in my 6.5L TD due to leaks and I don't want to spend money to fill with more expensive oil.

At this point, the oil leak was fixed and the Supertech 15W-40 Diesel oil is still in there without issue.
The engine is still starting and not blowing up on me even in the cold.
I don't have the HEUI engine, though.

You may want to check in the Ford Diesel forum about this and I am sure there are more experience over there.

As far as I know the Supertech meets the proper diesel oil standard.

Traveler Oil from TSC is the same stuff. 1000's and 1000's of different pieces of diesel farm equipment running it without issues. I kind of doubt it'll cause any problems in the 7.3 Powerstroke.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
I used SuperTech only as a top off oil in my ag tractor. My father in law owned an F250 with the 7.3L engine, and he only used Rotella T or Motorcraft for his oil changes. If I continued to own that truck, I would have done the same.

Ok,um, didn't really answer my question, but point taken. FWIW, I tried Motorcraft oil and my truck ran like absolute chit on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Traveler Oil from TSC is the same stuff. 1000's and 1000's of different pieces of diesel farm equipment running it without issues. I kind of doubt it'll cause any problems in the 7.3 Powerstroke.

Kind of what I was wondering. Seems like it's been around long enough. I guess I can just try it and see how it does. The Motorcraft 15w-40 had my engine idling all wonky. It was weird. I have never seen an oil be so obviously bad upon startup.

Originally Posted By: bbslider001
Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy

Ok,um, didn't really answer my question, but point taken. FWIW, I tried Motorcraft oil and my truck ran like absolute chit on it.

I used to own a 2002 F350 4x4 with the 7.3 made by International. I ran the Motorcraft 15w40 with no issues at all. The Motorcraft 15w40 was made for Ford by Conoco, it's really good oil. I used to buy at WM in the 5 quart jugs, 3 jugs/15 quarts needed for the oil change. I remember the big oil filter was super easy to reach.

I have used S/T diesel oil with fine results. It is CJ-4 licensed, after all.

I have also used Walmart's S/T gasser oils. Just to prove how good S/T oils are, I ran 5w-30 conventional S/T oil in my wife's Villager minivan. I ran 10k miles on it and the Purolator filter. Then I ran 15k miles on the next OFCI, still using S/T dino oil, and a M/C filter. I UOA'd both runs; everything came back absolutely fine. So I ran for 25k miles on two oils changes in a vehicle that saw soccer-mom type use. Most folks would have done 5 oil changes in the time I did two. The UOAs are from a few years back, but you can find them on this site; posted for all to see.

If the S/T brand HDEO is your least cost option, there is no reason whatsoever not to use it. The lubes for W/M are made by various blenders regionally, as I understand it. But all their stuff is API licensed. Regardless of who makes it, it will do just fine for any normal OCI, and probably far longer than you'd intend to run it.

I wish Walmart would get on the 10w-30 HDEO bandwagon! At some point, I suspect they might.

Last edited:
Rural King has the better oil deals currently, if there is one near anyone the HDEO is currently $6 a gallon.

I have often used ST 15w-40 oil in our various diesel and non-diesel equipped vehicles. I have over 304K miles on my '00 F250 w/ 7.3 and I have tried numerous brands of conventional and synthetic oils throughout this mileage, I have found no discernible differences between any of them other than easier cold weather starts with the synthetic 5w-40 oils. I have used the ST diesel oil in all our PSD's(2-7.3's, 2-6.0's and 1-6.4), our F800 dump truck with 5.9 Cummins, Cat 3406E in our Freightliner, JD 310G backhoe, Terex TXC 225 excavator, Hyundai HL740-7 wheel loader and none have exhibited any oil related issues. I would not hesitate to recommend this oil if OCI's were followed. I am not stating this is the "best oil out there", just that it fits our needs and does what it needs to do at an attractive price. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: turbowhistle
One other important factor with any oil or oil filter, don't push their capabilities concerning change intervals.

???

I would agree that if you're not comfortable with extended OCIs or competent with really using UOAs in a pragmatic manner, then OEM OCIs are OK.

But there is a LOT of capacity in "normal" products and can be run much further than a "normal" OCI.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Rural King has the better oil deals currently, if there is one near anyone the HDEO is currently $6 a gallon.

Pretty sure that sale just ended, but after some digging, I found that the latest "Harvest King" oil at Rural King is made by Citgo.

SECTION 2: COMPOSITION
Component Name(s)
1) Highly-Refined Petroleum Lubricant Oils 64741-88-4;
64741-89-5;
64742-01-4; 80-100
64742-65-0

2) Proprietary Ingredients Proprietary Mixture 5 - 20
3) Zinc C1-C14 alkyldithiophosphate 68649-42-3 1 - 5
4) Bicyclo[2.2.1]hept-2-ene, 5-ethylidene-, polymer with ethene and 1-propene 25038-36-2 1 - 5

CAS Registry No. Concentration (%)

I cant figure out how to keep the formatting correct..

Hey guys,just an update. I have been running Supertech 15w-40 since CJ-4 oil got harder to find. I have found it to be excellent for my 7.3 Powerstroke. The CK-4 Rotella was causing a very small, but noticeable to me issue. I know some things changed with the new formulation, but anyways, needless to say I have been very happy with the ST oil and the heavy towing I do.

Now, I do have a theory about the 7.3 and why it can be picky about oil. This truck is my fourth one and they have all been the same regarding oil. They either like one kind or hate the other. I have had them run better on Rotella than Delo or Motorcraft or the other way around. Anyways, not to open that can of worms. I am really happy a good, but cheap oil is good with my SD. I'll use it for the duration of the truck's life unless they reformulate.

I only have a couple thousand miles on my non-diesel 4.3 V6 with ST 15W-40, but it runs great and oil consumption is under control. It's super cheap, and I save the leftover oil in the jug for my lawnmowers. It's oil!
27.gif

Originally Posted By: huntsonora
I’ve been thinking about trying this with my 1998 12 valve Cummins. Thanks for the update....

I would highly recommend it for the old iron diesels. The additive package on this oil is pretty darn stout. If you have a Tractor Supply close to you, it's the same oil apparently and still just as cheap. I am betting that 12 valve would thrive on this oil, but the Cummins engines are easy on oil to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back