Looking of new mattress...head spinning!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are looking for a new mattress, my current one is a Sealy and "ultra plush", I have had it for 7ish years I think and its not really supportive anymore. Most of the time I am a side / stomach sleeper so we decided upon "firm". We tested out several today and our favorite was a Stern and Foster Estate Oak Terrace II. It was firm but still very comfortable, offered good support and we didn't notice any pressure points. The price however, was just under $1200 after tax...just for the mattress. The sales guy was super helpful and not pushy at all, in fact he told us that as we started trying them out and he went into the office and left us alone. I called him back later in the day to discuss price and $1200 was as low as they could go (this is the sale price minus another $50 or so). I do believe he was doing the best he could price wise. I am just blown away by the price! I want it to last us a long time (current mattress is done at 7 years, honestly its probably been done for a while now).

So, do any of you have any recommendations? This one is the traditional inner spring and has a good spring system. We are open to memory foam but all the ones we have tired allow us to sink down too much. I also read numerous report of memory foam retaining heat, that is a BIG problem for me. So again, any recommendations? Would love to keep the price below $700 but that has proven to be a challenge.

$1200 is steep but remember you are talking about your sleep quality. Also remember it should last you 8 years or more. Divide that $1200 amount by 8 and you get a yearly cost that is easier to sdigest. Probably worth it if both of you find it comfortable.

Last edited:
We recently bought a Leesa foam mattress and we love it. They give you a 100 night trial and if you don't like it they come pick it up. It contains 3 different types of foam to address the heat issue and my wife can attest to it's heat dissipation properties.

The King cost us around $900 to the door, and we built a platform for it. You can put it on a box spring, slats, or the floor...

There are more than a few companies that sell mattresses this way. Casper, Purple.... and most have a similar business model. I would sugges you give them a try

Originally Posted By: Veilside
We recently bought a Leesa foam mattress and we love it. They give you a 100 night trial and if you don't like it they come pick it up. It contains 3 different types of foam to address the heat issue and my wife can attest to it's heat dissipation properties.

The King cost us around $900 to the door, and we built a platform for it. You can put it on a box spring, slats, or the floor...

There are more than a few companies that sell mattresses this way. Casper, Purple.... and most have a similar business model. I would sugges you give them a try

We are side sleepers / sometimes stomach. Does it keep your spine / back aligned? This is important for us.

I will never spend over $2K on any King bed, super memory foam, cooling chamber's, shake proof, stain resistant, better sex, better sleep piece of stupid foam ever again. It'll be pillow top, I could care less what brand, and change it every 7 years. Don't buy the extra warranty, useless, read the fine print. As you can tell I'm not pleased with the current bed. 1 more year and it's gone baby!!! All these super duper beds are just money makers for the big stores. I'm done now and I feel better too.

We outfitted the whole family with matresses from ALDI last year.

Can't praise them highly enough.

I went through the mattress buying process recently and it can be very difficult. Like you my head was spinning while my back was aching.

I ended up buying from a guy who sells mattresses through craigslist ads. I visited his storage unit that was full of actual name brand close-outs as well as locally made no name mattresses. I tested a few on the floor of the storage unit and ended up with a no-name local made full mattress delivered for...$160.

It's 2 sided bonnell coil and HEAVY. My back felt better in about 2 days, no joke. So check craigslist and also check out local made mattresses.

There is a brand called KingKoil, not sure if it is available in your area.

They are reasonably priced.
You can check their website for dealer locator.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: NYSteve
https://www.themattressunderground.com/ is good place to start...

Yes I can't agree more. You need some serious research if you want to make a good decision.

F

Another vote for doing your research first and not getting ripped off at the local store selling 'S' Brand mattresses at HUGE mark ups.

We have been there and paid the price in the past, but never again.

Out mattress for the last 7 years has been a Latex shipped direct from the factory in Arazona
I think we paid about $600 and it has been fantastic!

I'd look for a latex over spring style mattress personally, or get a super firm spring mattress with as little foam as possible and put a 2 inch latex topper over it.

I' got tired of playing the mattress scam game. They all are built like [censored] these days. Cheap poly foam, memory foam - it all compresses and loses support quickly, except latex, springs, or air. I actually cut my perfectly good expensive Denver mattress open, removed the [censored] poly foam, and inserted a 2 inch latex topper, sewed it back together, and have never been more satisfied with a mattress ever. There are some threads online about doing that. That is why I suggest latex over quality innerspring or air. That style will last the longest and be the most supportive if you want a really firm bed where you don't sink in.

Last edited:
Yeah I tried a latex mattress, the Brooklyn Bedding and loved it but unfortunately my wife didn't like it so we went with a Denver mattress hybrid that isn't as high quality but it's decent and made the wife happy.

There are serious considerations that need to be made for higher than average body weights because most mattresses use low density foam which is the first thing to break down and make the mattress sink

71.jpg

I've been shopping around also. Here's a list of various sites I've used (in no particular order):

Memory Foam Talk
Sleep Sherpa
Sleepopolis
Mattress Clarity
Mattress Insiders

I strongly advise anyone to go to a mattress store and sample various types and firmness levels. I have back issues (degenerative disc) and have always been told to use a firm mattress - yet a soft one has proven better for comfort and good sleep - everyone is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back