Subaru Outback CVT Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2012 Subaru Outback now has 170k miles on it and I am going to do a drain and fill on the CVT. Has anyone done this recently and could you please share what you used? I have heard that Subaru only sells the fluid in 5 gallon pails and that Amsoil CVT fluid or Valvoline CVT fluid are suitable approved fluids for use in the Subaru. Any opinions on this? Thanks

I know its not the same but I love Amsoils CVT fluid in my Nissan Rogue. I believe yours is a chain and the Rogue for sure is a belt but mine sounds better and is smoother.

I've been a little more proactive with mine. Just a little
smile.gif

Back in 2012 at 10k miles, I had the dealership change my CVT fluid after seeing all the gunk and break in metal pour out of the differentials a few days earlier. I figured the CVT was just as bad and it was. The pan was removed and the service tech showed me the CVT oil strainer full of metal shavings. It cost me $290 but I was happy to get all that [censored] out.

During the Autozone December 2014 $1 oil sale, I bought 60+ quarts of Valvoline Synthetic CVTF. At 60k, I did four drain/fills with a drive down the highway in between each fill to get a high percentage of new fluid in. IIRC, I used 18 quarts. Did a D/F at 90k and I'm getting close to doing another one at 120k.

I was going to get the Amsoil fluid but when I saw that Valvoline sitting on the shelf for $1, that changed immediately.

Normally, I'm all for OEM fluid for a CVT but if Subaru doesn't sell it in customer-friendly quarts or even gallons, and since yours has so much mileage on it anyway, I'd give the aftermarket a go without a thought. Valvoline and Castrol both make easy to get CVT fluids that would probably be fine. Pennzoil apparently does not list Subarus on the label.

I just found out that Subaru does sell 1 Qt bottles of the new CVT II fluid. My local dealer sells it for $13.50 per bottle so I think I will go with that since its only a few bucks more than the Valvoline

Originally Posted By: Cbst09
I just found out that Subaru does sell 1 Qt bottles of the new CVT II fluid. My local dealer sells it for $13.50 per bottle so I think I will go with that since its only a few bucks more than the Valvoline

Cant go wrong......I think its a good idea though to do a drain and fill every 30k miles. That is what I have done......well first was at 40K with factory fluid and then I did 3 drain and fills at 60k once my warranty was over with Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Cbst09

$13.50/qt?
lol.gif
crazy2.gif

Castrol CVT is less than HALF that
smile.gif

The problem I see with the Castrol CVT juice data sheet is it says "Subaru i-CVT". Is that the old Subaru Justy CVT? That's a totally different trans if so.

I do see that Valvoline sells CVT fluid that says it can be used in the Subaru Lineartronic CVT, which today's units are, or have been since ~2010.

Originally Posted By: JTK
The problem I see with the Castrol CVT juice data sheet is it says "Subaru i-CVT". Is that the old Subaru Justy CVT? That's a totally different trans if so.

I do see that Valvoline sells CVT fluid that says it can be used in the Subaru Lineartronic CVT, which today's units are, or have been since ~2010.

It also says Lineartronic, so it can be used in the OP's outback with no problem
smile.gif

Remember, that old Justy CVT is 80s technology. Newer fluids have become much better and are likely backwards-compatible.

^^ Indeed it does! I wasn't looking at the full data sheet: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/BEE1DAAC8509BE8C80257DA5006202D0/$File/BPXE-9RV9FP.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back