Castrol Edge 0W-40; 5,537 miles; '07 Volvo S80

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a while back but this was my first Blackstone report for my son's 2007 Volvo S80 3.2L (NA) car.
This is using the Castrol Edge (GC) 0W-40 oil. It takes 8.1 quarts in the sump and uses the MANN cartridge oil filter (kinda nice method). Normal OEM OCI schedule is 7.5K and I tend to do this at ~6K miles. He runs non-Top Tier 93 octane gas (E10) and is mostly highway miles.

I think it is a decent report. Car starts, idles and drives fine with decent MPG for such a large, heavy 4D car.

Here 'tis:

Nice report. That motor will outlive the rest of the car.

I picked up 25 qts of this stuff when AAP put it on clearance($2.95 per 5QT jug). I grabbed everything they had.

Wow didn't know AAP was clearing it out like Autozone. I got the $2/quart Autozone sale. I got a few jugs at that price and 6 single quarts of edge 0w30

Thx for sharing it! I would buy after the current I5 this I6 Volvo engine.
Just some questiins:
Did you add some top-up oil?
Why don't you use M1 0w40? It has much better chemistry in like Castrol has - however Volvo recommends Castrol oils.
How is your gas consumption?
Cheers!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 29662
Nice report. That motor will outlive the rest of the car.

I picked up 25 qts of this stuff when AAP put it on clearance($2.95 per 5QT jug). I grabbed everything they had.

When was that???

Originally Posted By: zoli
Just some questiins:
Why don't you use M1 0w40? It has much better chemistry in like Castrol has - however Volvo recommends Castrol oils.
Cheers!

Yes, I had to top it off (see report) with Castrol Edge 0W-40.
I chose Castrol due to Volvo's recommendations (local dealer suggested it), been happy with it.
Mixed driving is ~23MPG, on the highway ~30MPG (I think, haven't really checked in quite a while).

This engine series has had major issues with oil consumption (hit or miss) that would require new pistons/rings under warranty and normally showed up early in it's life. I'm at 214K miles now and don't see its current consumption as an issue. No "Smoker" here!

Just some questiins:
Cheers!

Really? How?

It's my poimt of view, only - based on discussion some oil guru's and my experience with 5 different cars.

It's my poimt of view, only - based on discussion some oil guru's and my experience with 5 different cars.

Okay no problem. What is it specifically about the chemistry that makes it "much better"? I have a minor in chemistry so I can understand it a little.

So what "guru's" said? Just from experience owning 20+ cars and working on oil testing.

Dear edyvw,
dear kschachn,

I don't want to destroy WhizkidTN's professional way of handling his son's powerfull S80 as he follows very well the instruction of manufacturer even spending money on UOA and contrubutes it for us. I highly appreciate his way of thinking!

So, let me allow don't be off-topic and keep my (may be not fully professional) tribology knowledge for a later discussion with you in this great oil user community!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back