Riding Mowers- Stamped vs. Fabricated Decks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I'm possibly in the market this Spring for a new riding lawn mower. I am strongly considering the Cub Cadet Xt2 series of mowers. I have a dealer right down the street that does a good job of servicing my older Cub Cadet mower. So I like having a dealer so close in case I had any issues.
One of the defining upgrades is a fabricated deck vs. the stamped deck. The increase in cost for the fabricated deck is about $500 dollars. My question is, do you think there is enough of a strength/ durability difference to warrant the upgraded price?
I mow around a quarter of an acre in a residential neighborhood on reasonably flat terrain.

Also open to comments from anyone who has had experience with this line of mowers. They were a new line for Cub Cadet in, I believe, 2015.

Thanks!

For a residential purpose, I doubt it's really needed, especially with that kind of property. It's probably not really needed for most applications, but they are stronger for sure.

My mower has a fabricated deck because that's what it came with.

I definitely support your decision to buy local on those. I had narrowed down to a couple different brands and the deciding factor was that they were around the corner so when I need something that is Gravely specific, it's easy or if something breaks, they'll pick it up.

A fabricated deck is much more durable and will last for decades. I see that the Kohler 7000 series is the most popular engine available for these mowers. The Kohler 7000 series is a great engine. It doesn't have the problems that the confidant series had. Go for the fabricated deck if you want to keep this mower til the wheels fall off.
grin.gif

Probably not worth the premium for what you're going to be doing.

I mow two yards totaling 2.5 acres with a mower that has a stamped deck- no issues.

Biggest thing is to keep it clean! A lot of people around here with apply Slip Plate- an ag based graphite lube to their decks to better resist grass sticking. Some years ago I took my deck into the place I worked at, sandblasted it, primed it with industrial zinc primer and shot with an enamel paint. Several years and hundreds of hours later, it's still good.

Originally Posted By: 2civics

I mow around a quarter of an acre in a residential neighborhood on reasonably flat terrain.

I used to mow 2.5 acres of hills, fences, rocks, trees, twigs $ acorns for 6 years with a $300 18HP Scotts from Craigslist. How bad of shape is your current Cub Cadet really in?!?

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I used to mow 2.5 acres of hills, fences, rocks, trees, twigs $ acorns for 6 years with a $300 18HP Scotts from Craigslist. How bad of shape is your current Cub Cadet really in?!?

Actually, she runs like a top. It's a lower end model bought at Tractor Supply. At 10 years of age I don't know if I can count on my good fortune going forward. That is what has me considering a new one. Then again, for the $400 dollars I could get in selling it, it may be just as well to keep it until it dies.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

That's what I'm running now, I have learned to be a bit more careful with the size of rocks I mow (under 3") as I bent a blade and then broke a deck spindle casting. But $40 later its back in business. The stamped deck is the least of my worries and seems to be stronger than the mower has traction to bend it up.
I guess if you want something new and nice, a riding mower is cheaper than most toys, but any common brand is pretty cheap to keep running too.

My first mower after land acquisition was a Scotts 1642. It was too small for the job, but worked until I had the cash for a ZT which was about 10 years. It has an 11ga stamped deck. I have hit some things really hard with it and no problems. When the deck bearings went out, I got ones with grease fittings. This tractor has over 1000 hours and is still used today. Fabbed decks are nice, but as others have said, is not needed for residential use. Most of the time a stamped deck fails due to excessive rust at the hub bearing area. If you cut your grass dry and fertilize after you cut, most decks will never rust out. If you cut while the grass is still wet and recently fertilized, expect any deck to rust.

I've gotten into the habit of using a leaf blower to remove clippings and leaves
from the low spots in the top of the deck when done mowing. That reduces the
chances of rust a great deal. the damp or wet leaves, clippings, etc.. promote
rusting.

My 2¢

My experience is for a homeowner with around an acre or so, a box-store riding mower with a stamped deck will last 10+ years with the most basic of maintenance. I know my dad, for example, has a Murray bought at Walmart in 1999. Stamped deck, Tecumseh 17 horse engine, 6-speed transaxle. My dad's maintenance plan consist of: tires have air, tank has gas, engine has oil. He has flipped it (yes really, he calls it his "mountain goat"), poured used coolant in the crankcase (was in an old oil jug), hit rocks so bad that it broke the spindle... in other words, he's hard on it! But as long as the blades are sharp, it's always ran and mowed great. The deck is still in one piece and mowing fine.

I bought a Craftsman 19hp, 42", turn tight, 6 speed manual in 2015. Stamped deck, made by Husqvarna, no-frills, and mows like a champ. I do take pretty good care of my stuff. I blow the grass off the deck every time I use it, I clean out the deck and oil it in the fall, and change the oil at the end of the season. I expect it to last me at least 10 years before I retire it.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
My experience is for a homeowner with around an acre or so, a box-store riding mower with a stamped deck will last 10+ years with the most basic of maintenance. I know my dad, for example, has a Murray bought at Walmart in 1999. Stamped deck, Tecumseh 17 horse engine, 6-speed transaxle. My dad's maintenance plan consist of: tires have air, tank has gas, engine has oil. He has flipped it (yes really, he calls it his "mountain goat"), poured used coolant in the crankcase (was in an old oil jug), hit rocks so bad that it broke the spindle... in other words, he's hard on it! But as long as the blades are sharp, it's always ran and mowed great. The deck is still in one piece and mowing fine.

I bought a Craftsman 19hp, 42", turn tight, 6 speed manual in 2015. Stamped deck, made by Husqvarna, no-frills, and mows like a champ. I do take pretty good care of my stuff. I blow the grass off the deck every time I use it, I clean out the deck and oil it in the fall, and change the oil at the end of the season. I expect it to last me at least 10 years before I retire it.

Exactly!
For a 1/4 acre ride what you have until it dies. Change the oil, sharpen the blade and pump the tires once a year.
IF it dies, buy whats on sale at a BB store or check out craigslist.

A fabricated deck isn't anything special. It is just an easier cheaper way of making a heavier duty deck. The smaller companies can't afford the press it takes to stamp the heavier gauge of steel so welding it is the only option. A stamped deck can actually be made stronger and lighter than a fabricated one.

So just because it has a fabricated deck doesn't necessarily make it a lesser machine. In the case of the cub cadet though, it does.

Last edited:
I'd stick with what you've got. I've worked on a few newer Cub Cadets and they aren't anything special, the steering is so flimsy.

At the farm I work on we get a new cub cadet zero turn every two years. The most recent having a fabricated deck. The fabricated deck is a lot nicer. Just the fact that it stays cleaner underneath is enough for me.

The IH Cadet has a newer 11 HP B+S vertical shaft and a hydr drive. It is 40 yrs and has a stamped deck. OCD mower owners would cringe at the abuse and neglect it receives. Its main attraction is that it was free. I have replaced some parts but deck is pretty much original. I live in the woods and have no neighbors to impress.
grin2.gif

The nice thing about the fabed decks is that you can run into stuff and it will be ok. I ran into a rose bush stump I thought I had avoided. I hit it fast enough that I slide forward and hit the controls with my body, thus making me hit it again.

Depends, a JD stamped deck is way different than a box store mower stamped deck.
Everything is a trade-of, a stamped deck has much better airflow and usually cut quality. A fabricated deck will do a decent Job and last a lot longer.

Originally Posted By: bchannell
Depends, a JD stamped deck is way different than a box store mower stamped deck.
Everything is a trade-of, a stamped deck has much better airflow and usually cut quality. A fabricated deck will do a decent Job and last a lot longer.

Exactly. There's stamped decks out there that will outlast and outperform most fab'd decks all day long. The JD 7-iron deck for instance.

I had a ~2005 model year Cub GT 2544 rider with a 44" stamped deck and a 2010 model year Cub Z-Force ZTR with a fabricated 44" deck. For mowing, ease of cleaning and quietness, I much preferred the stamped 44.

The key to any residential grade and most professional grade decks is, don't let them ride on the ground. Keeping it hanging so to speak. Set them so the gauge wheels only contact on high spots. Always give them a quick scrape underneath and blow the whole thing off with a leaf blower after each use. Do those things and it should last as long if not longer than the machine it's hanging on.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Not so sure about these generalized statements. A stamped deck made from heavy stock can easily outlast the engine. Ed

Agreed. The homeowner grade fabricated decks are more of a marketing gimmick. They still have all the same low grade accessories bolted or welded to it. Flimsy attachment points, wheels, junky spindles, etc.

If you're talking high dollar commercial equipment available at dealers, that's a different animal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back