Transmission Service on 2000 F150?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone on the fence about the Dorman trans pan, I installed on one my 4r75e (same pan as your 4r70). It is nearly identical in every way compared to the original. Same shape, thickness, provision for the magnet, same gasket flange. A perfect fit. No leaks reusing the factory gasket.

As a skeptic of most Dorman products (I've gotten some Dorman junk in the past), this trans pan was a pleasant surprise. For anyone hemming and hawing due to the Dorman label, don't worry in this case. It's a fine replacement.

I put a Doorman on my 97 F150. No regrets. No leaks. I do a fluid drain and replace every other oil change now to freshen up the fluid. I use the Supertech Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

Yup, get rid of the old filter, they're designed smaller to clog up way early to make money off customers, gone are the days you can run on the same filter and fluid for 20 yrs!

You mean gone are the days of a metal screen. Most apllications use actual filters now and therefore can clog up.

I guess you forgot the "LOL"

I do know 60's - 80's Chrysler A727 and A904 trannies all had actual filters, mostly to catch the clutch plate wear materials. I never "had" to change them either, I'm sure OEMs noticed and made smaller filters to force customers to the garage!

Originally Posted By: emmett442
For anyone on the fence about the Dorman trans pan, I installed on one my 4r75e (same pan as your 4r70). It is nearly identical in every way compared to the original. Same shape, thickness, provision for the magnet, same gasket flange. A perfect fit. No leaks reusing the factory gasket.

As a skeptic of most Dorman products (I've gotten some Dorman junk in the past), this trans pan was a pleasant surprise. For anyone hemming and hawing due to the Dorman label, don't worry in this case. It's a fine replacement.

The dorman pans could just as well have Ford stamped on them, they are really nice. And cheap too! I have 3 installed, factory ones had flange rust and leaks, and for $20 bucks I'm not messing with it (I also have the awesome drain plug, no more mercon showers). Wish all their products were that good. Old pans make good tool bins when I work on things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cb_13

Yup, get rid of the old filter, they're designed smaller to clog up way early to make money off customers, gone are the days you can run on the same filter and fluid for 20 yrs!

You mean gone are the days of a metal screen. Most apllications use actual filters now and therefore can clog up.

I guess you forgot the "LOL"

I do know 60's - 80's Chrysler A727 and A904 trannies all had actual filters, mostly to catch the clutch plate wear materials. I never "had" to change them either, I'm sure OEMs noticed and made smaller filters to force customers to the garage!

And I guess you forgot your tinfoil hat! The planned obsolescence theory is way outdated.

I've used supertech, valvoline, castrol and house brand Mercon V, never a problem with either.

i would avoid the flush as well, just do a pan drop and maybe drain the torque converter, will probably be around 13 quarts to fill it all back up again.

and yes depending on the transmission it may only be mercon not mercon V

i know the 4R70w from 98 and on spec'ed Mercon V but my 98 f250 and my dad's 2000 f250 with the 4R100 take regular mercon.

It will say on the dipstick/owners manual what fluid it should take.

Last edited:
I'd stick with Mercon V - no need to go fancy here although MaxLife is cheaper. Drop the pan, change the filter with OEM or the US-made Allomatic and if you have a torque converter plug, it's not a bad idea to drain that as well.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by lawnguy
Does it really matter if I just get a trans, flush with the machine using kendall fully synthetic,or having it done by dropping the pan,etc ? My truck has 115l miles on it,and I bought it used not knowing the previous history. I do know that that it bought bought brand new and used by a county municipality.

Old post but there might have a converter drain plug. In that case, drop the pan, change the filter, throw out the shipping plug and change it all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back