Fram Ultra Quality Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any production line can have an issue when a machine gets out of whack. Usually they catch them. But it might have had a placement issue as it was going down so one got build wrong, then 10 or 100 pretty good, then another bad one, etc. That far back in the run, it would be hard to spot. They'd have 99 good ones as they looked, they'd think/say they caught it ...

Originally Posted By: CKN
That filter is "old stock" that got knocked around in a back room somewhere. It's not representative of what we see on BITOG Ultras that are posted on here.

Get it replaced free of charge.
Nice try.

i continue to use the fram ultra filters, i inspect them before installation and have not had any problem with a single one and i have been using them probably as long as they have been out. I currently use on 3 different vehicles and will likely eventually try the xg9100 on my 4th vehicle a truck with big block that calls for the ph8873.

I AM careful at wally world to make sure no one has tampered with the filter-like put a cheaper one in there, folks these days do stupid things.

I just called an ebay seller that sells them by the 6 pack at very good prices. FWIW they buy from parts stores that have gone out of business or are going out of business. They said they are selling older stock. That really shouldn't impact the quality, defects can happen. If you're looking for new stock, keep that in mind.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I would still buy them, it was 5 years ago and it seems to be a very rare defect.

Agreed. There is no statistical significance from this one report of a filter defect.

Some do seem to be emotional about it though!

Nice to see Motorking here in a flash and that they're investigating. I expect they're checking if there have been any other issues that add up to any significance thus requiring further action.

That's good for the consumer and for FRAM.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Of course if this happened to a Puro, the clairvoyant would be all over it.

If several problems with them occurred we'd be all over it. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
Broke the plastic seal on the box tonight. It's new, though maybe older stock. I'll let the pictures tell the story.

A22932 is the only code on the can. What do you all think?

This is my preferred filter. This is good reason to cut the seal and inspect prior to purchase.

Very sorry you had this experience. I am sending you replacement filters as soon as you send your address. Thank you for providing clear pictures along with date code so we can investigate.

Now this is what I like to see. A company rep making things right by sending new filters and also thanking a consumer for the information.

If Puro gave half as much consideration to its customers as Jay does here with respect to Fram, then maybe they wouldn't get feces flung at them at every opportunity. A Fram problem gets reported, he has something useful to say. A Purolator problem gets reported, and Puro is deleting the "offending" Facebook postings.

If Mann+Hummel repeats their stellar Purolator performance with respect to the Wix brand, I predict the backlash will be similarly repeated.

Originally Posted By: Garak

If Puro gave half as much consideration to its customers as Jay does here with respect to Fram, then maybe they wouldn't get feces flung at them at every opportunity. A Fram problem gets reported, he has something useful to say. A Purolator problem gets reported, and Puro is deleting the "offending" Facebook postings.

If Mann+Hummel repeats their stellar Purolator performance with respect to the Wix brand, I predict the backlash will be similarly repeated.

Well put. Purolator chose to ignore/delete the problem instead of addressing it.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Broke the plastic seal on the box tonight. It's new, though maybe older stock. I'll let the pictures tell the story.

(Bunch of pictures - Edited out of quote to conserve space)

This is my preferred filter. This is good reason to cut the seal and inspect prior to purchase.

Very sorry you had this experience. I am sending you replacement filters as soon as you send your address. Thank you for providing clear pictures along with date code so we can investigate.

Outstanding! Jay, you do credit to your company. Everything else being equal, I would buy Fram over just about any other brand just because of this kind of customer service.

As it turns out, all things are not equal, and Fram has a superior filter to begin with, but Jay's/Fram's commitment to customers is just another strong point in their favor and something that sets them apart.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I would still buy them, it was 5 years ago and it seems to be a very rare defect.

+1

Kudos to Jay as well
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Kudos to Jay as well

It's really awesome, and quite rare when you stop to think about it. Most everyone else is a PR/marketing flack that's sticking to a script; if/when you can get through to someone with knowledge, they act like any real data they have should be guarded with the same protection as nuclear launch codes.

His willingness to speak openly and respond to questions is a great asset to Fram.

Originally Posted By: Garak

+1 ... seems about everyone here has more clairvoyance than HerrStig.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Kudos to Jay as well

It's really awesome, and quite rare when you stop to think about it. Most everyone else is a PR/marketing flack that's sticking to a script; if/when you can get through to someone with knowledge, they act like any real data they have should be guarded with the same protection as nuclear launch codes.

His willingness to speak openly and respond to questions is a great asset to Fram.

+1 ... and a great asset to the BITOG board.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Kudos to Jay as well

+1 ... and a great asset to the BITOG board.

Yes he is an asset to the board.
thumbsup2.gif

This certainly doesn't color my view of the quality of the Ultra. One problem in over 100 that I've personally used. Still my preferred filter. It's more of a curiosity to me because I'm an industrial automation tech and investigating stuff like this is what I've done for some of my career.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Why is it so old ... date code says built the 293rd day of 2012. Where did you buy this filter?

Yes, always inspect any oil filter before purchasing (or at least before installing if bought on-line) regardless of brand.

Thanks. I had a feeling it was 2012 but wasn't 100% sure on the code. It was one of those 6 pack deals on Ebay or Amazon. The purchase was recent....

That sucks, I was just about to order a 6 pack of the Ultra XG3600 filters for my Liberty from ebay. I changed the oil about 2 weeks ago and used up the last Mobil 1 filter I had. Thanks for posting.

I've bought 3 6 packs of ultras off ebay, all different filters. Payed $3.33, $4.16, and $5.12 per filter for each different kind. I inspect all of my filters upon arrival, I've never found anything unsatisfactory. The only thing about them is they tend to be 1-3 years old. The last pack I bought had one 2013 filter, 2 2014 filters, and 3 2015 filters (delivered late last year). An average age of 2 years old is nothing for a Fram Ultra. The filters on the shelf at Walmart are probably a year old anyways. Motoring says you can store them for at least 7 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GRWOil

I've bought 3 6 packs of ultras off ebay, all different filters. Payed $3.33, $4.16, and $5.12 per filter for each different kind. I inspect all of my filters upon arrival, I've never found anything unsatisfactory. The only thing about them is they tend to be 1-3 years old. The last pack I bought had one 2013 filter, 2 2014 filters, and 3 2015 filters (delivered late last year). An average age of 2 years old is nothing for a Fram Ultra. The filters on the shelf at Walmart are probably a year old anyways. Motoring says you can store them for at least 7 years.

I bought 6 packs from them in the past too, quite a few years ago. I never bothered checking the date to be honest. I always inspect filters before I use them and I had no problems at all. This thread is what drew my attention to the date. Giving it some thought, and remembering buying them in the past, I think they're worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back