using a welder/generator as a generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard once that welder/generators aren't exactly meant to be full on generators and that it will wear out quickly if used as such. I read this on the internet and honestly it sounds like [censored] to me. Opinions? I'm talking about one of the Miller/Hobart 9500 continuous load/ 11,000 surge welder generator.

If they adverstise them to run at a continuous load, why would someone say they aren't meant for that? The other thing I read which I believe is true is that you can't use them to power your house unless you wire it up differently somehow? Can't really remember the details. I was thinking of selling my existing 5500 watt generator and getting one like above where you can weld and still have a generator.

Not true. A friend has a Miller Bobcat and used it to power his place(a rental he was fixing to flip) for 3 months while he did major work. Must have put 200 hrs on it and it still performs well to this day.

Those miller/hobart units are designed to run non-stop on construction sites. They last for years with proper maintenance. They can run 100% duty cycle on the welding side and still have room to put out power to run the work lights and tools. And are better built then your typical contractor grade portable generator.

The only downside is the fuel consumption.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I read this on the internet and honestly it sounds like [censored] to me. Opinions?

Don't believe everything you read. Especially on the Internet.

That was true - once - sort of.......

It used to be the only thing was reduced output (not as many watts) for household power. A large welder would only have like, 2,000 watts available as axillary power, since the 120/240 volt outlets are REALLY only designed to run a few grinders and lights at the job site. The older Lincoln SA200's that all the pipeliners love so much have just one 120 volt outlet, and I think it's puny, like 400-500 watts, since the circuits inside are for welding (priority number 1) and for external power (priority 2).

This was a trend that lasted many years. My first welding machine, a Generac with a 16HP Briggs opposed twin, was the first of it's kind that actually had real 240v available on it. I think it was only a 20 or 30 amp plug, though. Got it in the late 70's and just don't remember anymore. It had only one 120v outlet.

So much has changed. That Hobart Champion Elite Welder is first class for most people.
HOWEVER - at 24HP it's max A/C is only 11,000 peak & 9500 continuous? That's not a lot of watts considering how much HP it has. My PraMac 12,000watt runs a 16Hp Honda V-twin.

So, obviously - - - it's "still a compromise".
That OK, though.
I think a "combo unit" is better for MOST people than two complete, separate "dedicated" units. Depends on whether it's for a hobby or for professional use. Take that thing to an oil field and they'll laugh you right out of there... mostly because the "professionals" view it as a toy for farmers to play with. Expect it to burns LOTS and LOTS of fuel, probably more than a gallon per hour.

Another oddity of those old welding units is that the 120v output was often DC only and could only be used to run universal motors (grinders, drills, saws) or lights.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

It used to be the only thing was reduced output (not as many watts) for household power. A large welder would only have like, 2,000 watts available as axillary power, since the 120/240 volt outlets are REALLY only designed to run a few grinders and lights at the job site. The older Lincoln SA200's that all the pipeliners love so much have just one 120 volt outlet, and I think it's puny, like 400-500 watts, since the circuits inside are for welding (priority number 1) and for external power (priority 2).

This was a trend that lasted many years. My first welding machine, a Generac with a 16HP Briggs opposed twin, was the first of it's kind that actually had real 240v available on it. I think it was only a 20 or 30 amp plug, though. Got it in the late 70's and just don't remember anymore. It had only one 120v outlet.

So much has changed. That Hobart Champion Elite Welder is first class for most people.
HOWEVER - at 24HP it's max A/C is only 11,000 peak & 9500 continuous? That's not a lot of watts considering how much HP it has. My PraMac 12,000watt runs a 16Hp Honda V-twin.

That OK, though.
I think a "combo unit" is better for MOST people than two complete, separate "dedicated" units. Depends on whether it's for a hobby or for professional use. Take that thing to an oil field and they'll laugh you right out of there... mostly because the "professionals" view it as a toy for farmers to play with. Expect it to burns LOTS and LOTS of fuel, probably more than a gallon per hour.

They must be doing a lot of laughing. I see tons of welding rigs with the miller/bobcat welder/generators. They have fuel 22 or 23hp fuel injected kohler commands and I think they're just under a gallon/hr depends how much you're using it.

Not really sure about the reliability of the kohler though. I know they don't have the best reputation in the lawn care industry.

That OK, though.

They must be doing a lot of laughing. I see tons of welding rigs with the miller/bobcat welder/generators. They have fuel 22 or 23hp fuel injected kohler commands and I think they're just under a gallon/hr depends how much you're using it.

Not really sure about the reliability of the kohler though. I know they don't have the best reputation in the lawn care industry.

Miller welders are very durable. Not likely to use gas engines that are prone to failure. I've welded with several Bobcats and have not known of any with weak engines. JME.

That OK, though.

Welders are going to pick the machine that gives them the best performance for the conditions they weld in, some guys like Miller and others like Lincoln. For most of them DC arc performance is what is most important, smooth and consistent is what they want. I tend to see more Miller units on maintenance rigs where conditions vary and the materials they weld on changes constantly, Lincoln machines on pipe rigs and a mix of both on structural rigs.

My Miller 250 has 3013 hours run time on it. Majority of the accumulated hours is from power generation. The trick that I was taught with these welder generators is to alter the use of the outlets. Using a particular outlet can wear the brushes in that circuit.

Originally Posted By: SierraEquipment
My Miller 250 has 3013 hours run time on it. Majority of the accumulated hours is from power generation. The trick that I was taught with these welder generators is to alter the use of the outlets. Using a particular outlet can wear the brushes in that circuit.

I also heard you want to get in the habit adjusting the amperage knob all the way up everyday and then back to your normal welding amperage to keep any corrosion and such from forming on windings. You don't have to weld with it at full amperage just turn the adjustment knob to put power through all of the them.

That one on the day that you need to weld at a higher amperage you can because it's been energized and used periodically.

usually you need around 2hp per 1000w or very close to it.

does it have the honda gx620? that is closer to 18hp

and is it surge 12000, 10200 continuous? or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back