Need Help with Poulan XXL Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two Poulan XXL Minis. These are supposed to be good little powerful chainsaws. I have a Craftsman version and I love it. I can't get these things to run for nothing. I have rebuilt the carbs three times. Took them apart and cleaned them. I have changed both reeds. They have plenty of compression. Cleaned the muffler's. Looked in on the piston, looks good. Adjusted the Hi-Lo. They will start for a a second and shut down. They blow gas out the carb. How do you set the fuel valve in these? I think it's flooding. Iam usually good at getting these things but I am at my wit's end with these two. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
They are just OK. Better design that what's available now for $119 or less.

Try an entirely new carb - check ebay.

It's often hard to "rebuild" these small carbs properly.

If all else fails, get a good used Stihl MS170

I ended up getting it. It was the fuel inlet needle setting. Now I know how to set the fuel valve inlet spring. Flush with the inside. It's a pain to get it right but at least I know where to start.
I have to say this site is really going to pot though. I miss the days when you really had a issue and you could trouble shoot on here and share minds and knowledge. I especially miss Boraticus who I found to be very knowledgeable.
It's evident that many people's advice is either buy a new one, better one or read your owners manual and do exactly as it says. That's not really advice or a discussion.
I could go buy a new Stihl or Husky. I am tinkering with these chainsaws, expanding my knowledge, just like I did with generators, washer pumps, water pumps etc.. I tried different oil grades, not always what the manual says. Iam learning things, not really worth money but filling my curiosity and willing to share that not direct people to read or go buy new. Is this a mechanic/ lubricants site or a suggestion purchases and reading website? I question it myself on several of my last posts on the responses I got.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I ended up getting it. It was the fuel inlet needle setting. Now I know how to set the fuel valve inlet spring. Flush with the inside. It's a pain to get it right but at least I know where to start.

I am assuming when you mention the fuel inlet needle you are talking about the idle mixture screw... is that correct? About setting the fuel valve inlet spring... is that something different than the fuel valve inlet needle? If it is different, please explain as it would be good info for me to know for future repairs.

It's the fuel stop. The little pencil valve with the rounded tip that works on a spring loaded lever. That lever must be flush with the base or the diafram holds the fuel feed open and dumps fuel a d floods it. I have had alot of issues with rebuilding these carbs and I think this may have been a problem with alot of them.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
It's the fuel stop. The little pencil valve with the rounded tip that works on a spring loaded lever. That lever must be flush with the base or the diafram holds the fuel feed open and dumps fuel a d floods it. I have had alot of issues with rebuilding these carbs and I think this may have been a problem with alot of them.

Thanks for sharing this info. I have rebuilt automotive carbs in the day, and motorcycle carbs, but I wasn't aware of needing to set the fuel inlet screw. I did a little reading and the symptoms of my Stihl Saw sound a lot like it could be related to that valve! In my short looking I haven't found info regarding how to set it on a Stihl MS180c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back