2009 Jeep Patriot, 2.4L 120,000 mile service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Girlfriend has a 2009 Jeep Patriot that she bought with 64K miles on it. She now has 110k on it and will have it up to 120K on it by the end of the semester. She's starting Law school in the fall, so I'd like to get her car ready for another 100K. She says she needs it to last her through law school and a year after that.

I don't think her car had its 60K service, and I know it hasn't had its 102K service, and a few more things come up at 120K.

Here's everything that is due according to the manual at 102k and 120K:

Coolant
Serpentine Belt
Spark Plugs
Cabin Air Filter
Break pads
Engine Air Filter
PCV valve
Transmission Fluid
Transmission Filter
Rear Drive Assembly Oil
Power Transfer Unit Oil
Engine oil and filter (of course)

Other things I'm considering:

New Power Steering fluid
All new brake fluid.
New Thermostat

I have a few Questions for you all:

Is it worth the effort to service all of this stuff? If so, does anyone have experience with Jeep Patriots? What should I look out for when servicing the CVT? The fill cap was a little sludgy when I changed the oil a few weeks ago, Link to post here, should I try some seafoam or another motor cleaner in the oil before I service it?

Background: She'll hit the interstate for a 30 min drive twice a week, 2-hour drive once every other month. Probably 65/35 highway-city split. 5w-20 is the only oil the manual allows. Her car is never garaged and is getting ~19,000 miles a year.

Originally Posted By: GRWOil
She says she needs it to last her through law school and a year after that.

Is it worth the effort to service all of this stuff?

Get a girlfriend that maintains her own car ! That is what I would do.

Originally Posted By: maximus
She says she needs it to last her through law school and a year after that.

Is it worth the effort to service all of this stuff?

okay. . . maybe that was a dumb question, But should I be doing all of it? For example, I've run the same serpentine belt on my 95 silverado for 12 years now, it's still in good shape.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Get a girlfriend that maintains her own car ! That is what I would do.
HEY! I would like to do something nice for her. . .

All of what you said makes sense. Also invest in a bible or attend church. It is a miracle one of those vehicles actually lasted that long (no offense.) In terms of a service everything you mentioned is a great idea
wink.gif

My Girlfriend has a 2009 Jeep Patriot that she bought with 64K miles on it. She now has 110k on it and will have it up to 120K on it by the end of the semester. She's starting Law school in the fall, so I'd like to get her car ready for another 100K. She says she needs it to last her through law school and a year after that.

I don't think her car had its 60K service, and I know it hasn't had its 102K service, and a few more things come up at 120K.

Coolant
Serpentine Belt
Spark Plugs
Cabin Air Filter
Break pads
Engine Air Filter
PCV valve
Transmission Fluid
Transmission Filter
Rear Drive Assembly Oil
Power Transfer Unit Oil

New Power Steering fluid
All new brake fluid.
New Thermostat

Is it worth the effort to service all of this stuff? If so, does anyone have experience with Jeep Patriots? What should I look out for when servicing the CVT? The fill cap was a little sludgy when I changed the oil a few weeks ago, Link to post here, should I try some seafoam or another motor cleaner in the oil before I service it?

Background: She'll hit the interstate for a 30 min drive twice a week, 2-hour drive once every other month. Probably 65/35 highway-city split. 5w-20 is the only oil the manual allows. Her car is never garaged and is getting ~19,000 miles a year.

"Is it worth the effort to service all of this stuff?"

Not picking on the OP, but this is the type of PM perfrmed to Domestic brands ie non-existant, and basically this is why you hear so many people betching to CR about how unreliable Domestic cars are.

And yes it is worth spending some money and time to maintain any car.

Coolant
Serpentine Belt
Spark Plugs
Cabin Air Filter
Break pads
Engine Air Filter
PCV valve
Transmission Fluid
Transmission Filter
Rear Drive Assembly Oil
Power Transfer Unit Oil

New Power Steering fluid
All new brake fluid.
New Thermostat

I'm not a Seafoam fan - if you want to clean things up Liqui Moly or Amsoil makes a solvent-borne flush that has some detergents in it.

I've only serviced one CVT(Honda) - and I read that Chrysler used a similar CVT to what Nissan uses, and there's aftermarket CVT fluids out there.

You're doing more than what most people do(which is true of anyone who posts here) - your girlfriend's car will live a long life. I say go buy a lotto ticket after this.
smile.gif

As long as she doesn't sue you when something goes wrong then go for it. Maybe get it in writing that she won't come after you when something does go wrong. Since any issue can be your fault. Which is a good reason to find a good indy shop. If she can't afford to have all the things done, then just have a few items done at each oil change interval by the shop. One of the most important things you can do is check the fluid levels periodically, as in every two weeks.

It looks like you have everything pretty well covered. The brakes should be inspected, but may not need servicing. Many owners report easily getting 60 to 80K+ miles out of the OEM brakes. OEM plugs are conventional "copper core" (don't lecture me) and should be done every 30K miles. That engine out of Dundee Michigan is very reliable and google searches for engine problems are nearly non existent. The JATCO CVT is hit or miss. The coolant drain plug is a pain to get to. It has 2 thermostats....I tend to not replace them until they act up, but everyone is different about that.

That first generation had problems with early ball joint failure, so keep an eye on that. In the salt belt they also had problems with the front sub-frame member corroding (extended warranty on the '07 models). In 2011 and 2014 there were significant upgrades and the early problems seem to be remedied. There is only so much to be expected out of a vehicle that can be purchased new for $18K out the door. It is what it is.

If you want to diy this stuff, you can get copies of the factory service manual on Ebay for under $20.

If the 2009 is anything like the 97 Cherokee, much of the front half of the engine is due to go piece by piece. In the cooling system, if your changing the coolant and belt,change the water pump, unless it's internal to the timing chain. Between 120-140k I replaced the water pump, then the alternator, then the PS pump. To do it again, I do the whole thing at once.

Not that you asked, but whats make you think she is keeping this until a year after law school. Have a friend who finished law school in the Spring 2016. Currently 240K in debt. Living at home, getting work assisting other lawyers on per assignment basis. Pay of $13 and $20 per hour. Unless she is attending a top 7 law school in the US, she isn't going to be recruited out of school for a job.

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
If the 2009 is anything like the 97 Cherokee, much of the front half of the engine is due to go piece by piece. In the cooling system, if your changing the coolant and belt,change the water pump, unless it's internal to the timing chain. Between 120-140k I replaced the water pump, then the alternator, then the PS pump. To do it again, I do the whole thing at once.

Not that you asked, but whats make you think she is keeping this until a year after law school. Have a friend who finished law school in the Spring 2016. Currently 240K in debt. Living at home, getting work assisting other lawyers on per assignment basis. Pay of $13 and $20 per hour. Unless she is attending a top 7 law school in the US, she isn't going to be recruited out of school for a job.

Comparing a 2009 Patriot to an XJ Cherokee?

crackmeup2.gif

Count every penny it would cost to rebuild this thing, find out the trade in value and buy something else with trade in value plus repair money. Like a similar age Camry or Accord to get her through school.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
As long as she doesn't sue you when something goes wrong then go for it. Maybe get it in writing that she won't come after you when something does go wrong. Since any issue can be your fault. Which is a good reason to find a good indy shop.

You make a good point; after you do someone a favor by changing their oil or whathaveyou...something goes wrong on the car, guess whose fault it is?

There is an old saying; good guys finish last.

As long as she doesn't sue you when something goes wrong then go for it. Maybe get it in writing that she won't come after you when something does go wrong. Since any issue can be your fault.
Oh man. . . She is going to law school. She said this the other day when I mentioned getting her car serviced "I don't really think about it. I'm glad you do. I only care as long as it runs." . . . All kidding aside is a lawsuit that really something that I can expect out of my Girlfriend? I doubt it, but I've never done work for anyone but my dad and myself.

It's a good test on whether you have a keeper or not. I was kidding earlier but there's a little bit of truth to every joke.

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin

She's got a full ride to law school so she'll graduate without debt. But I see your point, maybe it needs to make it to 250K.

Count every penny it would cost to rebuild this thing, find out the trade in value and buy something else with trade in value plus repair money. Like a similar age Camry or Accord to get her through school.

I already priced out everything I listed. Mopar fluids are stupid and expensive. Special CVT fluid, Special coolant, doing this service will cost $330 and two days of my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back