hole in FRAM Ultra Synthetic leaked my oil out :

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2003 honda accord LX V6 with 160,000 miles, i went to check my oil and was shocked to see that the dipstick was almost completely dry !!?, maybe just had a little bit of oil at the very tip end of it, but thats it, so i drove it slowly and carefully to a real close autozone and bought 2 quarts of oil, poured it in and drove over to a carwash nearby, and parked in the carwash stall, and turned the car off, and waited it to settle so i could check the oil level on the dipstick to see if it came up or not, and when i checked it, the dipstick still barely had anything on it!, even after just putting 2 quarts in it?, then i looked underneath the car real good with a bright light, and i saw a little stream of oil running down the pavement, then i looked to see where the drip was leading to, and there was no leak around the drainplug area, but then i saw that it was coming from the side of the oil filter, out of a small hole in it, and i don't have any idea how it happened ?, and i have never had that happen before either ?, but this one i got was a cheaper FRAM Ultra Synthetic (XG7317), but previously i always got Mobil 1 filters, but i thought that an oil filter is an oil filter, and they probably just do the same thing and thought it was fine just getting the cheaper FRAM instead, but i guess i was wrong ?

does anyone know of what types of things could cause that to happen to an oil filter ???, i just thought i would get opinions on this forum, since it has more knowledgable people that know about oil/oil filters and that type of stuff, and just so you know, when i tightened the filter when installing it, i first tightened it by hand til i could'nt turn it anymore, and then i gave it maybe one gentle turn using my oil filter wrench, (the squeeze type one, where its like pliers with 2 handles that you squeeze together and it clamps around the filter), but a guy on a different forum, where i made a post, said he thinks i still overtightened it ?, and he said really you don't even supposed to use an oil filter wrench at all, and also that you only supposed to hand turn it 3/4 to 1 turn after the gasket first makes contact, or something like that?, which does'nt seem like much ?, but maybe oil filters are just real fragile ?, or more than i thought ?
and by the way, all those scape marks around the filter and some of the dents, were most likely cause when i was yanking it around left to right, when i was removing it with the filter wrench, and i would'nt do it that hard if i were installing it, only when i know its old or bad like this one was, and that it did'nt matter if it was ruined while removing it or not, since i knew would'nt be using it again.

here is some pics of it, so you can see :

luckily i have another older 90 honda to use, and drove and got a new mobil 1 oil filter and new oil, (castrol edge syntec 5 X 30), and i put the filter and the oil in and ran it til the dipstick had the correct level on it, and drove car and no damage was done luckily, and checked to make sure no leaks were underneath and its all good, but i just wonder what caused the oil filter to form that crack or hole, that was leaking most of my oil out ???, and really i think it was probably some type of debris from the roadways ?, but i have read some things around the internet saying sometimes things like "oil pressure spikes" can cause an oil filter to rupture or make a puncture hole ?, so hopefully nothing internally from my engine did anything weird to cause it ?

It's really chewed up. Was it that difficult to remove it that you had to bite into the filter with your pliers? Maybe it hit a rock or something. Hard to tell now if it was damaged while on the car or if you damaged it removing it.

Lol is this a troll post?

That filter looks like it has been thrown against a concrete wall.

Who installed that filter? The whole grip texture is worn off. Better question, what was used to install it?

That's mechanical damage caused by either, improper installation or debris on the road! You should have to use you "Plier Type" filter wrench to tighten the filter. I know my channel lock filter wrench has semi sharp teeth on it.

Also IIRC, the Fram Ultra has one of the thicker canisters when compared to other filters.

I am surprised you punctured it with a filter wrench.

who doesnt hand tighten filters? they only need to go 3/4 turn after gasket contact.

looks like you destroyed the filter removing it and decided to troll.

not saying you are.. just saying what it looks like.

Any filter I put on is hand tightened, and removed by hand.

Jeez, my old filters are always in good enough shape that they could be put onto a beater with no worries.

Originally Posted By: redhat

What do you think? The lack of capital letters, the run-on sentences, the general rambling over some weird problem. That is someone's hallmark writing style.

Quote:
Better question, what was used to install it?

Originally Posted By: ZCJON888
and just so you know, when i tightened the filter when installing it, i first tightened it by hand til i could'nt turn it anymore, and then i gave it maybe one gentle turn using my oil filter wrench, (the squeeze type one, where its like pliers with 2 handles that you squeeze together and it clamps around the filter)

The guy on the forum is right. You have damaged the filter casing during installation with the filter wrench. Maybe barely, but just enough to make the filter burst during the first oil pressure spike. YOU SHOULD NEVER USE A FILTER WRENCH ON A CANISTER TYPE OIL FILTER DURING INSTALLATION! The rule is - get it hand tight. Not tool tight - HAND TIGHT. It is more than enough to hold the filter in place during the pressure spikes or any other abnormal incidents. And will make it a breeze to take off during the next oil change. I do 1 full turn after gasket touches the block. Service over 20 cars in the family and friends zone, and never a single oil filter issue/failure. Hand tight my friend, hand tight.

that was damaged by installation, the same can occur when removing a filter that has been tightened too much upon installation.

if trolling, i'm IBTL, if not the above is the cause.

i do not believe a rock would cause that, it very much appears to be pinch damage from over torquing to remove or install.

on edit:
i have seen this type damage before. i have not seen the hole type damage itself, but all the scuff and folding weakens the case.

Last edited:
Quote:
then i gave it maybe one gentle turn using my oil filter wrench, (the squeeze type one, where its like pliers with 2 handles that you squeeze together and it clamps around the filter

There is your answer. And judging by the photos, there is no reason why the exterior of the can can be beat up as much as it is being shown here. Why in the world would OP use a set of pliers to tighten an oil filter is beyond me. How miles after he changed the oil did he notice the dipstick being dry? My guess is, probably not very many.

Based on the location of the filter and the lack of a cover to protect it from road debris, it is plausible that the OP may have hit something but considering these filters are built like a tank, I find that reason to be less likely.

The filter is not to blame. Sorry.

OP should watch some YouTube videos on how to change oil, or let Jiffy Lube handle it for him.

Nothing to do with Fram, that damage is not a manufacturing or material defect. If the filter is that susceptible to damage because of its location I would consider a protector of some sort for it, you can buy one or make one.

Something like this..

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Oil-Filter-Rock-Guard-6-Inch-Long,1772.html

That filter looks like it has been thrown against a concrete wall.

Who installed that filter? The whole grip texture is worn off. Better question, what was used to install it?

No, he's a known member of the Honda forum. He posted there as well. I'd guess a rock or the tool made the hole, but he really needs to work on his tightening feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any filter I put on is hand tightened, and removed by hand.

Jeez, my old filters are always in good enough shape that they could be put onto a beater with no worries.

Yep, this filter either was put into a bin with gravel and tossed around for an hour, or the OP destroyed it putting it on.

Even using a wrench to remove, I have never had a filter look like that unless some gorilla put it and they called on me to remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back