Hyndai / Kia - Still No Oil Life Monitors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota doesn't either. They just recommend a flat 10K OCI for most of their products.
I like having an IOLM. It takes the guesswork out of OCIs and thereby allows you to run a conservative interval with many variables considered.
A flat time or mileage interval will not make sense in many use patterns for any vehicle.

I run flat 10k on my Lexus and 7.5K on Highlander. Who trusts these OLMs anyway. Didn't realize BMW designed the first ones, they should spend that development cost on good starters, power window motor designn etc. Companies like BMW that haven't gotten the.basics right shouldn't spend money on these useless monitors.

^^^What an opinion. Maybe they are useless to you but they save us thousands and give us nearly infinite engine life. Add to that we are not wasting oil by pouring it out early.

Loving the OLM here since our first one was introduced...

Probably Hyundai or Kia figured that doing the OLM thing was a waste of time. Folks like me, with OLM's in their vehicles, don't pay any attention to it anyway except to reset it when they change the oil. Just one more stupid step to go thru on an oil change. And the OLM may be ok, generally, but is not always that good. Case in point, my 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6. GM had to come back later and reprogram the OLM to knock the interval down to half of what it was coming from the factory after they realized that the original setup was causing too many engine failures. I doubt anyone in R&D was canned over that one.

The one in my Overland has an Algorithm , measures, cold starts, oil temp, mileage, Rpm etc

So far has worked out to about 10K distance, of course I have changed and reset it, I am the un-environmentalist changing the oil more frequently.

I really dont see adding these features as a big cost, the OEM's must have a pretty good idea of what is needed in the algorithm and I am sure they do it on the conservative side, plus I beleive Jeep wants the oil changed at least twice a year for severe service regardless of the miles driven.

If Hyundai doesnt include one, jsut shows how lazt their Engineering and Marketing people are.

The readership on BITOG is smart enough to know about proper oil change intervals.

OLM-s are for the general population and get the job done well.

I have never had a vehicle with OLM and currently one of my 3 vehicles is a 2010 Hyundai. If it did have a OLM, I'd probably ignore it and continue doing my 5k OCIs with conventional (PYB 5w-30 & OEM filter).

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Hyundai has two vastly different oil change schedules for severe service versus standard.

This is where an IOLM comes into play.
As long as a proper algorithm taking the correct variables into account is used, the guesswork in deciding what schedule to use in changing the oil is eliminated.
These systems can't be very costly either, since GM has had them for years on even its cheapest models.

With no mechanical issues and quality oil, an odometer and a calendar ( while erring conservatively ) will work just fine for people who neither care about OLMs or are worried about changing oil two weeks early over a 5-6 month period.

I know several folks who aren't "car people" but yet are scrupulous about changing oil and car maintenance. They certainly don't need to be BITOG members or delve into the engineering aspects of OLM programming to "get it right". At one point, someone on here described not caring about OLMs as an affront to the engineers who designed them...beyond hilarious.

Wife's Scion has a "dumb" OLM, light comes on 5000 miles after reset (flashes on startup 500? miles before due). I wish I could just turn it off permanently. I do a 5000 mile OCI anyway, and easy enough to look at the odometer and know if it is time for a change. I may be going to a 10,000 mile interval in the future (I think the 2015 xB with the same engine is a 10,000 mile interval?)
On my mom's '07 Saturn Vue I have told her several times she can go by the IOLM. She is easy on oil (mostly highway). She still tends to go get it done every 5000 miles though. I should be doing her changes from now on though with syn oil and Fram Ultra filters by what the IOLM says.

Still looking for the dust sensor that tells the OLM that I am driving a minimum 5 miles cumulatively of dusty gravel roads whenever I go to town and come home. Last I checked, that is considered severe service. No way for the OLM to monitor that variable. That is one of many reasons why the OLM is totally disregarded by me. They put all that time and R&D into how many times the vehicles starts, ambient temps, how much time does the engine spend at operating temps, etc, and forget basics like dirt.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Hyundai has two vastly different oil change schedules for severe service versus standard.

This is where an IOLM comes into play.
As long as a proper algorithm taking the correct variables into account is used, the guesswork in deciding what schedule to use in changing the oil is eliminated.
These systems can't be very costly either, since GM has had them for years on even its cheapest models.

The data the OLM uses has been collected by the PCM for many years. All GM did was come up with the software to collate it into something meaningful.

Everything else is a guess, just pick some interval that validates your opinion and go with it.

Every feature like this costs a manufacturer in engineering and material costs. This either adds to MSRP or eats into their profit margins. If consumers don't demand and I seriously don't think they consumers care about this vs Bluetooth connectivity for example why bother.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Every feature like this costs a manufacturer in engineering and material costs. This either adds to MSRP or eats into their profit margins. If consumers don't demand and I seriously don't think they consumers care about this vs Bluetooth connectivity for example why bother.

Perfect! You can bet if it didn't help sales or profits it would be extremely unlikely to be in a high volume vehicle.

Don't quit the day job!

My take is a manufactures makes a vehicle that is darn reliable - we have been making auto for well over 100yrs.
Now does OLM magically allow folks to change oil based on OLM readings - no. Simply because we just cannot trust an OLM, we trust our gut instants and our gut instincts tells us go with a log - a sane log.

Having said that manufactures that give me a OLM and f...kup on a window motor or a starter which is most common on BMWs, they are no longer my choice of vehicle.

Not sure that either starter or window regulator failures are common with BMWs.
I have a 22 YO BMW in my sig and all four windows go up and down at the press of a switch using all original parts and the starter works great and it also came here on a ship installed in the car.
We have an even older BMW, an '84 733i and both the original starter and the original window lifts work fine as does the power sunroof. Let's not talk about the other electrics.
Anyway, I prefer an IOLM over my gut since it's bound to be a more accurate indicator of oil life either way. The OLM might sometimes call for a shorter interval than I would expect while it typically allows a longer interval than I would otherwise run.
Takes the guesswork out of it IOW.

About why Kia doesn't have an oil life monitor... it really is hard to tell why they don't unless they say why. Anything else is speculation, but let me suggest another possibility that hasn't been mentioned: difference in culture.

We Americans tend to think people in other countries think like we do. That is not the case. It may be possible in their culture and way of thinking that an oil life monitor is not needed/important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back