Transmission Service on 2000 F150?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

Does it really matter if I just get a trans, flush with the machine using kendall fully synthetic,or having it done by dropping the pan,etc ? My truck has 115l miles on it,and I bought it used not knowing the previous history. I do know that that it bought bought brand new and used by a county municipality.

I would try to get the filter changed. Then fill with something cheap. Then change all the fluid out with your preferred fluid.

I'd do both, assuming the machine is doing a fluid exchange. I'd want the filter out and the pan and magnet cleaned up.

The filter needs to be changed if it's never been changed before.

Don't let them bull pooh you saying the flush machine will clean the filter. It will not.

Last edited:
I would avoid the flush and do a pan drop and refill with filter.

Too many stories of transmissions with over 50k miles having problems after a flush.

Check for a torque converter drain. I believe it was until 2001 that F150's had them. That's makes a flush unnecessary.

Yup, get rid of the old filter, they're designed smaller to clog up way early to make money off customers, gone are the days you can run on the same filter and fluid for 20 yrs!

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

Yup, get rid of the old filter, they're designed smaller to clog up way early to make money off customers, gone are the days you can run on the same filter and fluid for 20 yrs!

You mean gone are the days of a metal screen. Most apllications use actual filters now and therefore can clog up.

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, see if Dorman makes a transmission pan for your truck. Dorman pans include a drain plug for easy ATF changes
smile.gif

Maxlife is awesome ATF, unbeatable for a full synthetic ATF in terms of price and availability.

+1 on the dorman pan with drain plug. But stick with mercon v if thats what it calls for. Mercon v is like 30 bucks for 5 quart at amazon and similarly 6 bucks a quart at ford dealer.
I had dorman installed at about 160k miles on 1999 expedition. That was its first ever atf changed since i got it new. I have drained it 4 or 5 times since then myself. Its even easier than oil/filter change. I had quick lube pennzoil install the pan and new filter/clean magnet as part of their "drop the pan" service. About 60 dollars n i supplied the atf. I never messed with draining the torque converter. I ordered dorman plus filter plus 5 quart fluid from amazon and got free shipping if i recall correctly. Dorman pan was less than 30 i think. I got a magnetic drain plug for it
smile.gif

Last edited:
Your F150 was originally specced for Mercon. And in 2006/2007 Ford upgraded Mercon to Mercon V. Maxlife may be awesome, but it doesn't meet the Mercon V specs.

Ford ATF specs

Walmart SuperTech Mercon V is Ford approved and under $5/qt. If you go to a Quick Lube place they might stick Merc/Dex III into those vehicles requiring Mercon V. Been there...done that.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Your F150 was originally specced for Mercon. And in 2006/2007 Ford upgraded Mercon to Mercon V. Maxlife may be awesome, but it doesn't meet the Mercon V specs.

Ford ATF specs

A 2000 with 4R70 would have been originally spec' for Mercon V. Not sure exactly when the spec changed but my 98 had Mercon V on the dipstick and called for it in the owners manual.

Walmart SuperTech Mercon V is Ford approved and under $5/qt. If you go to a Quick Lube place they might stick Merc/Dex III into those vehicles requiring Mercon V. Been there...done that.

+1 I've used supertech Mercon V in my Fords in the past with great results.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, see if Dorman makes a transmission pan for your truck. Dorman pans include a drain plug for easy ATF changes
smile.gif

Maxlife is awesome ATF, unbeatable for a full synthetic ATF in terms of price and availability.

The Dorman pans seem like a good idea but when I used it with the oem gm gasket on my 4T65e it leaked some. I went back to the oem pan

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

Are you high, Or do you just randomly make $hit up??

Do a pan drop and change the filter. Don't do a flush (especially a power flush that uses chemicals). You could do a "flush" using the cooler line letting the trucks pump do the work (several how to's online), but still do a pan drop.

As said, a 2000 may have a torque converter drain plug, makes it easy to get most all the fluid out at once without "flushing" it.
I installed a drain plug in mine, wish I had gone with the Dorman pan, only like $25 on amazon, and no chance of it leaking like installing a drain plug yourself. Mine does not have a torque converter plug, so I have done several drain and fills after I did the initial filter change. AS said above, with a drain plug, it is a quick thing to do a drain and fill (I will do it every 10,000 miles, it gets 4 qts out of ~14 qts in the system). I keep debating installing an inline filter.

You don't mention if you have the 4R70W or 4R100. Both can use Mercon V though (4R100 originally spec'ed for Mercon, but there is no licensed Mercon fluid anymore, and it has been back spec'ed for it).

Amazon has Havoline Mercon V for around $45 sometimes for 12 qts, as well as Supertech Mercon V for $4.27/qt at Walmart. First change I used the Supertech Mercon V, the last 3 I have used Maxlife. I have also used Maxlife in my BIL F150.
Some have issue with Maxlife being too thin (5.9 cSt @ 100°C) compared to Mercon V (7.5 cSt @ 100°C), but seems I had read that Mercon V shears quickly to lower than what Maxlife is, and Maxlife is more sheer stable.

Originally Posted By: cb_13

Ford ATF specs

A 2000 with 4R70 would have been originally spec' for Mercon V. Not sure exactly when the spec changed but my 98 had Mercon V on the dipstick and called for it in the owners manual.

Interesting. In any case, it takes Mercon V today.

4R100 and manual 5 speed F150's in 2000 take the Mercon

The Ford AX4N went through a similar Mercon to Mercon V change between 1997 and 2002. As my 1997 and 2002 were specced for different fluids.

Original post what was the charge for flush on f150?

Incidentally, on my expedition that has never towed, the large factory magnet inside the pan had about 5 ounces of metal shavings attached to it (little more than half filled 8 0z cup with roughly 160k miles).
The dorman pan also has a slot for this strong magnet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back