Volkswagen 04E 115 561 H, 5500 miles cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the first oil change on my sister's brand new 2017 VW Jetta. This filter came on it, and also whatever oil they filled it up at the factory. Put back a Fram Tough Guard 3600 and Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40.

Very good quality filter. Wire backed media, even pleats, silicone adbv. I would use then if they were a bit cheaper, but for the price of one of these I can buy 3 Fram Ultras on e-bay.

Disregard the dirt you see in the pictures. I cut the filter up yesterday but it got too dark for pictures and I left the pieces outside. It was kind of windy last night so this morning i found all kinds of dirt on and in the filter which was not there when I cut it. The filter was extremely clean and it should be on a 5500 miles car.

Wow a canister filter. I thought most VWs (at least the ones I've worked on) had cartridge filters.

Interesting. And looks good! Thanks for the post.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Wow a canister filter. I thought most VWs (at least the ones I've worked on) had cartridge filters.

Interesting. And looks good! Thanks for the post.

You are welcome. Yep, I expected a cartridge too but this one is not.

So that's a Mann filter? That base plate sure looks like one, and the white silicone ADBV is just like Mann uses on other filters. Never seen one wire backed.

Nice job on the c&p
smile.gif

It's kind of a hybrid spin-on/canister filter. Looks to have an ecore type centertube cage with the wire backed media you mention and metal endcaps.

There was a poster not long ago with a similar design but without wire backed media on an Alfa iirc. His issue was severe indentions on the media from the ecore cage. His had no wire backed media though. Thinking this design might solve or make his issue better.

Looks good. Thanks for c&p.

I like the e-core type center with a wire backed media. Greatly recuced chance of blow-out that some e-core filters had, no center tube restriction, metal end caps.
Nice looking filter, but seems they are costly.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
WOW - look at all those break in particles!!!

smirk.gif

Lol. Those are break in particles from my back yard that the wind blew on the filter. Next time I will take the pictures right away.

Originally Posted By: FlyingVan
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I know the ea888 1.8 TSI uses a cartridge.

This is the 1.4 TSI.

Right, I see your sig. I was just commenting on a previous post. Sorry, my post wasn't very clear. How do you like the 1.4 TSI?

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Right, I see your sig. I was just commenting on a previous post. Sorry, my post wasn't very clear. How do you like the 1.4 TSI?

Sorry about the late reply.

I like the 1.4 TSI pretty good. Fuel economy is pretty good, 29 city/39 hwy. Power is decent, though not as good as the TDI. I am concerned about all those plastic things on the engine. Hope they hold up since we don't change cars like underwear. We usually drive them to 300k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back