Mobil1 New Life 0W-40, 20,000 mi; 2009 Clio D4F784

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am from Italy, so sorry if my English is not very good.
Analysis by Blackstone Laboratories.
Vehicle: Renault Clio 1.2 74 kW (turbo) Euro 4 year 2009; engine: D4F 784.
Kilometres on the oil: 32,000 (20,000 mi) (estimated hours: 950).
Kilometres on unit: 98,000 (61,000 mi).
Make up oil added: 2 litres (2.1 qt).
Number of months the oil was in service: 21.
Driving conditions: 80% city, 20% highway.
Estimated average length of trips: 12 km (7.5 mi).
Some short trips.
Standard oil filter.
I used to change the oil every 20,000 km (12,500 mi).
For about 4,000 km (2,500 mi) the engine coolant has worked with lower temperatures than normal (thermostat failure).
Blackstone Laboratories comments: For such a long time, wear metals aren't in bad shape in this sample from your Renault. Universal averages show typical wear for this type of engine with oil run about 7,100 km. You went more than 4 times that long with this fill, so iron and copper aren't all that bad. Copper could even be residual wear-in if this is the second or third oil change. However, we think this run was too long for the oil. The thick viscosity and high insolubles probably show excess heat. The TBN was okay at 3.2, but suggest 25,000 km next time. Wear should improve too.

Code:

MILES IN USE 20k

MILES 61k

SAMPLE TAKEN 7/8/2015

UNIVERSAL

AVERAGES

ALUMINUM 9 8

CHROMIUM 1 2

IRON 61 30

COPPER 26 12

LEAD 0 6

TIN 3 1

MOLYBDENUM 90 25

NICKEL 1 1

MANGANESE 5 3

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 7 3

BORON 89 41

SILICON 15 9

SODIUM 3 44

CALCIUM 3321 1103

MAGNESIUM 18 375

PHOSPHORUS 884 709

ZINC 1141 811

BARIUM 0 3

VALUES

SHOULD BE

SUS VIS 210ºF 81.1

cSt @ 212ºF 15.79 12.5-16.3

FLASHPOINT ºF 350 >375

FUEL % 1.3
ANTIFREEZE % 0.0 0.0

WATER % 0.0 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.6
TBN 3.2 >1.0

Here below some under valve cover pictures.
Mobil1 New Life 0W-40 for the last 20,000 miles, before I have used other brand oils.

Welcome Wamax !!!
Thank you for the UOA and the pictures.

It's interesting to see a 20,000 mile UOA, I know that is a common distance in Europe, but less so in other places.

That viscosity of 15.8 cSt looks higher than expected. Definitely some thickening happening. Decent zinc at 1140 ppm.

At 20k OCI, this UOA is among a highly oxidised oil sample in Bitog, not that there is any severe metal wear rates that is damaging the engine but more of potential sludging.
Would like to drop OCI for now doing some cleanup and eventually move towards say, 15K OCI basing on acceptable/common metal wear rates, capping shear thickening to say, 5-10 %.
Welcome and thanks for posting.

I see lots pics with vapor burning up on the thin aluminum valve covers of Audi and VW I4's that only do 6k OCI's with a full syn. So thats not unusual. I would clean valve cover off so a chunk doesn't fall off and block an oil galley. That crud probably contaminates the oil to some small extent. The actual engine looks great, no varnish. TBN looks good. I would not go past 10k, but it looks like you can go 20k. Suggest a better synthetic media oil filter with higher efficiency.

It's good to see someone getting their money's worth out of their oil. I've tried 15,000 miles on oil and the lab results were good but I don't think it tells the entire story. I found gritty carbon/sludge buildingup in the corners of the oil filter and I've seen engines that look relatively clean inside but they have a carbon build up on the oil pump pick up screen. Variable valve timing solenoids have fine inlet screens and they can be removed from a clean engine but they have a carbon/grit buildup on them. For this reason I am hesitant to push oil to far regardless of what the UOA says. I must say that valve train looks nice an clean.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
That valve cover is filthy for a 60k miles engine.

Agreed, makes me wonder if it was running dino earlier in life.

I'd give that a cleaning before dropping it back on.

UD

Thanks for the post and welcome to BITOG.

While the wear metals aren't 4X higher than average despite being run 4X longer the oil has thicken significantly.

I think the valve cover is either from previous Dino use or from the lower coolant temp not allowing oil to get hot enough.
The shiny black on the sides of the VC look like high heat deposits. The middle lower.

I would also drop OCI back to 10K-15K, do 2 OCI then sample again.
Unfortunately that will be about 3-4 yrs.

Also how was the vehicle driven prior to oil sampling? Warmed up on a good highway run? Or was the thermostat still not working at the time of sampling?

Last edited:
Earlier in life the engine has always run semi-synthetic oils. The thermostat was working and the engine warmed up at the time of sampling.

Good results IMO. I'll bet the cover sludge was more due to "no thermostat" than anything else. It's possible you may have let it get too low on oil a time or two as well. Stay w the M1 and shorten the OCI a little and it will be fine. Stay on top of keeping it full - add anytime you need to when checking the dip stick - even a few ounces at a time. Your wear #'s indicate the engine has plenty of life left.

Glad you posted this UOA. We don't often see them at 15K-20K Miles.

Is this M1 0w-40 New Life still around? I haven't seen it in quite a while. It's got a heavy does of detergents, higher than the current FS version. If your car can go nearly 2 yrs /20K miles, I guess I shouldn't be worried about going 2 yrs and only 3,000 miles on M1 0w-40 FS.

Yes, I have not changed the oil filter, I will change it next time I will change the oil.

I don't know anything about Tecnocar filters, but leaving one on after a 20kmile run sounds scary to me. I would think you're going to be in bypass constantly before you get to your next oil change.

Originally Posted By: wamax
Yes, I have not changed the oil filter, I will change it next time I will change the oil.

Why? That filter is probably clogged and could cause engine damage. What is the reason behind the decision not to change the oil filter?

Originally Posted By: wamax
I am from Italy, so sorry if my English is not very good.
Analysis by Blackstone Laboratories.
Vehicle: Renault Clio 1.2 74 kW (turbo) Euro 4 year 2009; engine: D4F 784.
Kilometres on the oil: 32,000 (20,000 mi) (estimated hours: 950).
Kilometres on unit: 98,000 (61,000 mi).
Make up oil added: 2 litres (2.1 qt).
Number of months the oil was in service: 21.
Driving conditions: 80% city, 20% highway.
Estimated average length of trips: 12 km (7.5 mi).
Some short trips.
Standard oil filter.
I used to change the oil every 20,000 km (12,500 mi).
For about 4,000 km (2,500 mi) the engine coolant has worked with lower temperatures than normal (thermostat failure).
Blackstone Laboratories comments: For such a long time, wear metals aren't in bad shape in this sample from your Renault. Universal averages show typical wear for this type of engine with oil run about 7,100 km. You went more than 4 times that long with this fill, so iron and copper aren't all that bad. Copper could even be residual wear-in if this is the second or third oil change. However, we think this run was too long for the oil. The thick viscosity and high insolubles probably show excess heat. The TBN was okay at 3.2, but suggest 25,000 km next time. Wear should improve too...

Buonasera, Sig Wamax! :)
Thx for sharing it - only 2 comments:
1. I learned very well, that this look of valve cover could have a serious consequences: (partly) blocked sump oil pick-up tube screen and PCV System
2. Turbo aspirate engine requires only synthetic oil & frequent changes; proposed 10-15K km
Have a fun for long time with your car!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I see lots pics with vapor burning up on the thin aluminum valve covers of Audi and VW I4's that only do 6k OCI's with a full syn. So thats not unusual.

Guys, read this post; its not unusual for that engine...OP thanks for posting, I would flip a new oil filter on at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back