OE NGK plugs from a 2006 4.0 Jeep 204,314 miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled these out of a 2006 4.0 Wrangler today. It ran a little rough at start up and had a P0304 code store- but I think that was due to voltage leaking down the porcelain (found an easier path to ground than across that huge gap). The Jeep ran quite well even in spite of the old plugs. Just goes to show you how much fire power today's coils can produce.

[img:center]
FCQuxeP.jpg
[/img]

The 4 liter was noisy, dirty, and leaky, but it genuinely didn't give a **** about anything. Best engine ever made.

Part number is ZFR5N which is NGK's V-Power sparkplug.

WOW.....I wonder how many times they fired??? Looks like the old side gap plug trick back in the day using the Accel "Big Yellow" Super Coil.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
WOW.....I wonder how many times they fired??? Looks like the old side gap plug trick back in the day using the Accel "Big Yellow" Super Coil.

Assumptions:
1250 = average rpms for a mile over the 204,314 miles - assumes some idle time.
6 cylinders
1250/6/2 (4 cycle) = 104 firings x 2 for this engine firing cycle = 208 per cylinder.

208 x 204,314 miles = 42,497,312 firings per plug

Feel free to check my math.

Goes to show you how unimportant a properly gapped plug is lol! I went 145k on a set in a Subaru once, and until now they were the most worn plugs I had ever seen. Never had any performance issues though.

Saved for reference.

HOLY SMOKES!

You sure the engine ran before they were pulled?
I've seen worse but only after catastrophic failure like broken timing belt, con rod etc.

So they are labeled as NGK? I thought maybe Chrysler would do something like slap the Mopar name on them and give them a Mopar part number.

I remember a Denso ad in a magazine that said their double-platinum plugs could conceivably last the life of a vehicle. I don't think it made any guarantees though. Still - these are V-Powers, right? So they're still running with a massive erosion of all the electrodes. One manufacturer's description said that standard plugs work better when they have sharp edges, which may be the rationale behind stuff like NGK's V-Power or Denso's U-Groove.

Was the ceramic cracked during removal?

All the Jeeps I've ever owned and worked on used Champions. My last Cherokee, 2001 4.0L came with copper Champions and my current 2014 Grand Cherokee has Champions. I think those are not the OEM plugs - they've been replaced somewhere along the line.

My Dad's 2005 Toyota Sienna is on its original rear bank plugs still. It just threw a code for misfire at 295,700. When I get around to changing the plugs, I'll post pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back