2003 Lincoln Aviator Struts??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fam,

I have a 2003 Lincoln Aviator AWD 4.6L SUV. Currently in the ODO its 131K+ miles. I am looking to replace the Struts/Shocks on my vehicle but...

I want to buy the assembly (strut, shock, mount)

I keep searching and searching and searching.

i cannot find a strut assembly part.

Now i searched on ebay and the strut assembly part for a 2003-2006 Lincoln Navigator looks similar (very similar) to the strut assembly on my Aviator. I came to that eye ball conclusion because there is someone selling a used strut assembly for an Aviator. both parts have the bolts in the exact locations.

Now, Can someone who is experienced give me any feedback on such part? Would they work?

I'd see if Explorer ones would work since that's what the Aviator is based from, but Lincoln might have spec'd different spring rates or something.

Ive found the struts but i would rather buy the assembly. Which Ford Explorer trim would be similar to the Lincoln Aviator?

The Navigator (Expedition) is a much bigger and heavier truck than the Aviator (Explorer).

RockAuto has plenty of quick struts for the Explorer. Monroe, Gabriel, KYB, even Rancho
smile.gif

Ford--> 2003--> Explorer --> 4.6L V8

Trim doesn't matter.

They changed quite a bit on the aviator even though it was based on the Explorer. The suspension was re designed so this might be one where the cheaper parts don't work, but I can't be 100% sure.

These were changed so heavily over the Explorer the list of parts that were different was bigger than what was the same.

@901, different parts can still be interchangeable. With the shocks/struts, they can always have different valving, but the shocks will still physically fit. The Explorer quick struts will fit the Aviator with no problem
smile.gif

Another example is the Saturn L-series and Opel Vectra B. GM claims only a few parts are shared between the two, but the Vectra's suspension, shocks, springs etc will fit perfectly on the L even though they are "different".

I would recommend buying the right struts, and taking the assemblies down the road for a shop to move the springs over. Pay the guy $20 for his trouble. That way you stay with oem springs which will probably still be of better quality than aftermarket.

-m

Originally Posted By: JAM25
So what do you guys reccomemd?

Originally Posted By: meep
I would recommend buying the right struts, and taking the assemblies down the road for a shop to move the springs over. Pay the guy $20 for his trouble. That way you stay with oem springs which will probably still be of better quality than aftermarket.

-m

I'm with him!

Why is it you're looking to replace the whole unit? To save time or money? Ease of install?

The Aviator is a pretty unique vehicle and like has already been mentioned, pretty different than it's Explorer cousin. Ours rides and handles very well for a 5000lb SUV and I'm afraid that mixing and matched will degrade the ride/handling.

If it's still in good shape and you're looking to keep it, then I'd say used the correct parts.

Originally Posted By: JAM25
So what do you guys reccomemd?

My first choice would be the KYB quick struts. If you plan on doing actual truck duty with it, go for the Rancho.

If price is a concern, and you can wait a month, Monroe and Gabriel with both be going on rebate in March (they do every year). Rancho is also included in the promo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back