GM 2.0 Liter Turbo I4 Ecotec LTG Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
While spending a week in California, I rented a Cadillac CTS which had the 2.0 Turbo I4. I believe it produces just over 270 HP. When you give it the gas and the turbo kicks in, the car really takes off. I was a bit skeptical, but after driving this car for a week I came away impressed.

More power, less service life. As Smokey said: " The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money. Does GM spend cubic money on the quality of their parts?

I have a Malibu with the same engine. It produces 259HP and 295FT/lbs of torque in the Malibu. Gets down the 1/4 mile in 14.6ish.
Detuned a bit because it is front wheel drive. We really like it. It is pretty responsive and has been decent on the MPGs.

That engine has its roots at vauxhall, it is another evolution of the c20let also used in Saab applications. Best served with a GT28RS, slicks and a diff.

Again, I've come to love the new generation of well designed small turbo engines. I much prefer them to the previously underpowered vehicles of all types.

One drive of Ford's mighty 2.7L Ecoboost F150 (yes, it's faster than the same truck with the 5.0 Mustang V8) will set the non believers straight. They are downright fun! And if driven carefully, these turbocharged engines can achieve impressive MPG.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Agreed Cujet! I'd much rather have a muscled up small engine than a bigger engine that de-nuts itself with problematic gimmicks such as AFM etc. ! Plus more driving fun!

Eh...I have both I will keep my 6.0 with AFM disabled for 189 bucks. Like I said I like our Malibu and it use no noticeable amount of oil between oil changes, is quiet and rides nice, but you can't beat a 6.0 V8 when you compare it to a car that is already making 20 psi. More driving fun is subjective. You don't think there are V8 cars that are fun to drive might want to get out and look at the current crop of Pony cars. Might want take a look at the fat Caprice lighting lap numbers as compared to small car like the FIAT Abarth.

Some of you non turbo guys are funny to me.
I ran a bunch of pile of .... Mid 80's turbo Dodges well over 200,000 miles. Just take care of them.
Not to mention 3 supercharged 3800 cars well over 150,000 miles with no issues.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I saw a bone stock turbo caravan, , maybe a 1988?, absolutely burn the tires off.

May be an 89 2.5 common block vehicle.
This makes me smile. I spent a lot of time and money modifying the little Turbo Mopars. Lots of fun you could really
squeeze the juice out of them.

My three DD's displace 83, 350, and 454 cubic inches, with compression ratios of 9.5, 8.5, and 7.9:1 respectively. Rated horsepower is 138, 275 (ish - gross), and 230, one is port-injected/VVT/drive-by-wire, the other two are 4-barrel - and one even has points ignition. Each are fun and gratifying to drive in their own way, but the one I'd pile my stuff in if the Russians invade or an EMP weapon hits isn't the same one I'd haul 10,000 lbs. cross-country with or go out for an afternoon of spirited backroad driving in. So how do I fit in? :-/

My dad occasionally drives a small Ford delivery van with the 2.7 Ecoboost and he can't get over how quick that Van gets to 70mph when he gets on the highway.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Agreed Cujet! I'd much rather have a muscled up small engine than a bigger engine that de-nuts itself with problematic gimmicks such as AFM etc. ! Plus more driving fun!

Lightning lap times
Just because I am bored.
Like I said fun is subjective
Worst part about it is they couldn't figure out how to turn off Stabilitrak. It would have done much better with it disabled.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Lightning lap times
Just because I am bored.
Like I said fun is subjective
Worst part about it is they couldn't figure out how to turn off Stabilitrak. It would have done much better with it disabled.

Don't judge too much on those times as they are run in "as delivered" condition. I remember there were cars with all season rubber! Not the greatest track setup.

Back OT, I like simpler engines. Always been partial to pushrod V8's because of their power, sound, and long life. I still can't believe that these highly pressurized engines will run a half million miles like we have had here.

But I love the tech, it's entertaining. And I adore VIR! An extremely cool track...

I think the Buick Regal and GS have this engine too. Never driven one. A guy who lives near me has a '14 Regal Turbo, and he says it has a bit of turbo lag. Nowhere have I read or heard that. True? Or is just his car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back