BG Fluid Exchange Experiences and Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was out of commission for a few days with mild flu and am just getting back here.

A note to JustinH, your Sonata also has a Hyundai Power Tech transmission and is NOT sealed by any means. They have a drain plug and ports for filling and level checks. Check out the videos on YouTube. The guy there (and many Kia/Hyundai forums) claim that Maxlife fluid works well. They might be correct, but I'm programmed to go with what the OEM recommends.
7166319815_b92f60feef_b.jpg

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was out of commission for a few days with mild flu and am just getting back here.

A note to JustinH, your Sonata also has a Hyundai Power Tech transmission and is NOT sealed by any means. They have a drain plug and ports for filling and level checks. Check out the videos on YouTube. The guy there (and many Kia/Hyundai forums) claim that Maxlife fluid works well. They might be correct, but I'm programmed to go with what the OEM recommends.

I agree 100% with you on the OEM fluid , but if I had to chose an aftermarket fluid it would most certainly be maxlife.

Compared to some other transmissions (that also lack dipsticks), these are not difficult to service yourself. The drain and fill plugs are relatively accessible and the fluid level check procedure is shockingly easy. I would drain and refill (or flush) with OEM fluid.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Compared to some other transmissions (that also lack dipsticks), these are not difficult to service yourself. The drain and fill plugs are relatively accessible and the fluid level check procedure is shockingly easy. I would drain and refill (or flush) with OEM fluid.

There are 2 ways to check fluid level: dribble out the lower front plug, or use a $24 dipstick: https://www.moparessentialtools.com/item...;keyword=10323B In both cases, the fluid temp. needs to be 120F - 140F +/-.

Because I did not do the "Bitog early tranny fluid change" at 10-15K miles, I'm thinking I would like to do a "full" exchange at its first 50K interval, either 3 drain and fills or the cooler line method.

Since 3 diy drain and fills will cost $110-$120 in OEM fluid, I was contemplating a dealer cooler line change at only $180. Again, I was getting opinions on what the dealer stated was a BG machine supposedly using OEM fluid. I still need to follow up with questions to the dealer. And, again, I'm running ragged on spousal health issues and losing interest to spend half a day under the car (I'm the slowest diyer on earth).

Thanks again, everyone. Hope you're enjoying the winter.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Thank you for that, I did not realize it had a fill plug.

The videos I have seen online had people using IV bags to pump fluid back into that check plug.

The video i see on youtube now, shows the guy taking apart the air cleaner assembly to get at the fill plug on top of the transmission, then using a standard funnel to get the fluid into it.

Also the belly pan needs to come off the car.

He is also using an infared temp gun to sense when the transmission is warmed up to determine when fluid level can even be checked.

I think this job is doable at home, but a lift would make it much easier.

I still think I will pay a shop to do this on a lift, or use the BG flush service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back