Hyundai hybrid beats Toyota Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lithium-upgraded Prius Eco is rated 53 for highway MPG. I thought that was impressive until I saw the Hyundai Ioniq blue's score:

59 highway MPG
WOW.

Only the manual-shift Honda Insight ever scored higher (61). Hyundai does it by using an exhaust intercooler to improve EGR efficiency by 200%. They also have two separate water jackets for the block & the head, so the block can run hotter (220), the oil can run hotter, and reduce viscosity losses. Plus each cylinder has multiple holes to inject the fuel where it needs to be. WARRANTY: When your battery eventually needs replaced 10+ years from now, other carmakers will charge you $2500-to-3000 replacement cost. Hyundai warranties their batteries forever (if it's the original owner).

I never imagined an upstart Korean company would be able to out-engineer the Japanese working at Toyota.

Time will tell what the real-world fuel economy figures are but this seems to be a good application of technology. Both the cooled EGR and variable-multi hole injectors are from the diesel world.

There are some trade-offs such as ditching the 12V lead-acid battery, it is now lithium-ion under the back seat. More $$$ to replace when needed. The cooling system will also be something to watch out for with having different loops. The thermal stresses between the head and block will also make for some interesting engineering challenges to keep that joint sealed but assuming it all works out it will be a great feat.

My first thought is, Hyundai has had issues with claimed mpg.

But competition is good. Hopefully ALL hybrids will raise their mpg.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
... Both the cooled EGR and variable-multi hole injectors are from the diesel world. ...
Toyota hybrids use cooled EGR, too. It's rumored to be prone to clogging after it gets a few miles (at least on 3rd-generation Prii).

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy

I never imagined an upstart Korean company would be able to out-engineer the Japanese working at Toyota.

Boy, me either. Then i realized i'm on my third Hyundai and it has been the most issue free brand I've owned. (This is my second Toyota)

Its possible but call me skeptic until they are in the real world for a few years.

It's a bad comparison because Hyundai is a plug in hybrid so you have that hassle to achive the MPG.

If you compare the non plugin Hyundai hybrid to Toyota Prius the Hyundai still beats it slightly but numbers are closer.

Apples to Oranges my friend!

For hybrids, the critical questions are (1) how long does the battery last, and (2) what is the replacement cost?

If one car's battery lasts 200k and costs $3k to replace, that's 1.5 cents per mile.
If another car's battery lasts 70k and costs $7k, that's 10 cents per mile.

I know someone who got screwed on a hybrid. I won't name the manufacturer. But, he bought used and did a little Ubering and found out (a) warranty was not transferable and (b) commercial use voids the warranty anyway. The 70k/$7k was his actual number.

If Hyundai holds to battery replacement for the original owner for the life of the car...that sounds pretty enticing if this car turns out to be a true Prius fighter.

From what I've seen, this vehicle has been favorably reviewed with one of the big takeaways being it drives like a regular car in the handling and ride department...in comparison to a Prius or i3 for example. That might be a big plus for someone who's on the fence about owning a hybrid.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
It's a bad comparison because Hyundai is a plug in hybrid
You are mistaken. Perhaps this link will clear things up for you: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?a...31&id=37309

The Prius, Ioniq are standard hybrids. The Prius Prime and Volt are plugins. Notice the difference in the EPA sticker? It's an entirely different top level & modified format for plugin cars

IONIQ's OIL: 5W-30 with ACEA A5/B5 spec

My Honda battery cost $2000 + labor == $2500 total. I could have bought a third-party battery for $1500 reburbished cells or $2000 new cells. (They also offered a battery with double capacity for $2500.)

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Competition is good.

Real world performance over a few years will be the more important metric.

As skyactiv writes, "Competition is good." Owner experience will settle the question of which vehicle is the best. For me best would be a lot more then miles per gallon.

Hyundai warranties their batteries forever (if it's the original owner).

thumbsup2.gif

That's how all hybrids should be.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

thumbsup2.gif

Why?

Thought of another way: For every system that has a "lifetime" fluid in it, should the OEM warranty that item for as long as the original owner has it? I wouldn't mind that!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

thumbsup2.gif

They are also banking on the fact that most people who buy a brand new hybrid are the ones who want the latest and greatest. It is unlikely they will keep the same car 10+ years. I doubt Hyundai will be replacing many batteries under warranty.

OEMs get paid money to produce hybrids (in the form of PZEV credits they can sell for cash). They should share some of that money with us risktakers/early adopters by replacing the battery if it dies.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/ioniq/

Very interesting. I wasn't the biggest fan of hybrids or plug-ins. Read above about the use of sugarcane and volcanic rock in the interior parts of the car. Interesting....

Glad to see the Koreans stepping there game up the last 5+ years.

Wow! Assuming this is true and real world validated, its excellent.

I know with my HAH, I can get nearly 60 in the real world... but heat use is the greatest factor, as its easy to go below EPA if not careful, if heat use forces the engine on more.

My parents have gotten tanks >>60 in their prius.

So my concern is really if Hyundai returns in the real world. I see it as viable, as ive lived tanks with those sorts of numbers... but the variables like heat has a huge effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back