At what RPM do you typically drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: redhat
I bought a KTuner OBD2 flash module and tuned by K24Z2 to run out to 7,400rpm.

I hit that at least 5 times a day.

In conservative driving, I shift around 4k. My car is a manual.

Does it use any oil? I know some of of these like to drink! Especially 2008-2010 model years.

Ohhhh yeah. After all, it is a M/T Honda getting the snot beaten out of it. About a quart every 4k miles. I'll just call that upper cylinder lubrication.

Also, just noticed you are using 5w40...how does the K24 like it?

It likes it a whole lot. Up in the higher RPM, the engine is very smooth with it. The engine is quieter overall and actually consumes a lot less than a 20wt.

I am contemplating upon mixing 1/2 5W-20 Pennzoil Conventional and 1/2 5W-40 Rotella T6 just for fun.

Silverado runs ~1800rpm at 60, ~2200rpm at 75. Accelerating generally it sees 2-3k Rpm. I have a 4L60E. Occasionally ill kick it down to merge or pass and run it to ~5300 where the trans shifts under WOT.

At work I drive a Mercedes sprinter van with the turbo 4cyl diesel. It's on the floor constantly idle to 3800rpm every gear except the top couple gears. It has the 7 speed torque converter auto.

The wife's escape typically runs 2-3.5k under normal driving.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Whatever the 4L60E likes. Engine will cruise around:
~1,400rpms @ 30mph in 4th TC unlock
~1,200rpms at 35mph in 4th TC locked (TC unlocks at 30MPH from locked. Staying on the gas pedal it's possible to lug the engine!)
~1,850rpm @ 60mph in 4th TC locked

I can run mine down to 900rpm

I bought a KTuner OBD2 flash module and tuned by K24Z2 to run out to 7,400rpm.

I hit that at least 5 times a day.

In conservative driving, I shift around 4k. My car is a manual.

Does it use any oil? I know some of of these like to drink! Especially 2008-2010 model years.

Ohhhh yeah. After all, it is a M/T Honda getting the snot beaten out of it. About a quart every 4k miles. I'll just call that upper cylinder lubrication.

Thats not bad especially with your driving style. Many of these consume 1 quart per 1K miles.

It likes it a whole lot. Up in the higher RPM, the engine is very smooth with it. The engine is quieter overall and actually consumes a lot less than a 20wt.

I am contemplating upon mixing 1/2 5W-20 Pennzoil Conventional and 1/2 5W-40 Rotella T6 just for fun.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was consumption reduced going from a Xw20 to an Xw40?

It depends on the vehicle, and the traffic conditions. Usually in the 1,500-2,500 rpm range.

My 1.4T Cruze needs at least 2,200 RPM to pull any substantial hills so whether in 5th or 6th it'll stay between 2,500 and 3K which comes at about 80 in 6th gear. But to do any passing or on-ramp pulls I run it to at least 4 grand. 5,500 is about where it starts hitting a ceiling as far as power goes, but I've had it north of 6 plenty of times. My trucks rarely see over 3,000, but my Honda 175 runs around 9,500 at 70.
laugh.gif

My wife's Civic is auto, so it basically hits overdrive on level ground, even at 25 MPH. I think cruising on the freeway it hits about 2900 RPM at 70 MPH. My WRX I drive like most would. 2nd or 3rd on city streets and 5th on the freeway.

My dearly departed '95 Integra GS-R had a relatively low 5th. It would cruise at 3500 RPM at 70 MPH. I thought it could have used an extra gear. I had taken it to 8000 RPM a few times.

I do remember borrowing my uncle's Toyota SR5 pickup once. That thing only had a horizontal dial speedo and no tach. Had no idea what the revs were and just sort of guessed when to shift.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was consumption reduced going from a Xw20 to an Xw40?

I have ran 0W-20 and 5W-20, both resulting in about 3/4 of a quart every 1,750-2k miles.

Daily vehicle goes to redline 8,200rpm every couple of days. 6,000rpm every day. 3,300rpm at 62mph motorway speed.
Weekend vehicles goes to redline 8,500rpm every time driven. Never goes below 3,000 rpm when driving once it has warmed up.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
My 1.4T Cruze needs at least 2,200 RPM to pull any substantial hills so whether in 5th or 6th it'll stay between 2,500 and 3K which comes at about 80 in 6th gear. But to do any passing or on-ramp pulls I run it to at least 4 grand. 5,500 is about where it starts hitting a ceiling as far as power goes, but I've had it north of 6 plenty of times. My trucks rarely see over 3,000, but my Honda 175 runs around 9,500 at 70.
laugh.gif

Man I go over 4k everyday just so I can hear the DCVCP 'kick in' like those VTEC guys. I'm getting some DCVCP decals made up. I figure they'll be good for at least 5 hp. Let me know if you're interested.

Expedition: Whatever the automatic does. I do a moderate to fair amount of full throttle when I can because this thing spends a lot of its time putting around the inner city at 30-40 mph and 2000rpm.

S2000: 9000rpm at every chance. Maybe not quite that often, but it's meant to be driven and I do.

NSX: I can't run it out as often as the S2000, but I try. It sounds dang good at 8000rpm.

Rabbit: Whatever redline is as often as I can when I drive it, because I know my wife is just putting it around.

I've run every engine I've ever owned hard and they have all seemed very happy. I'd rather own one that's been used than that's been putted around its whole life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Everyday my car gets revved out all the way. Stops at about 5,700 then shifts.

I can't help but think of the fuel waisted.

With an underpowered to adequate powered vehicle with aggressive driver it is a wasteful combination. A powerful vehicle does not work as hard as aggressive driver rarely is flogging it about. I noticed my wife driving a non turbo Subaru flogs the motor to move it about. Her turbo Legacy wagon she rarely sweeps 4000 RPM (full torque) as boost starts just before that.

My cars spend a fair amount of time at 55-60mph in top gear, so 1800 or 2400rpm. Once every couple days I'll do a couple WO shifts at 6k, but both of them quit making more power above that. Normally I shift the Focus at 3500, and get to speed fairly quick as the only time you get good hwy mileage is when you are in top gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back