Oil recommendation for 2002 Alero 3.4L V6 155k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I inherited this car about eight months ago. It has the GM 3400 V6, is at 155k miles, and has been in the family from day one. This new situation has resulted in a new lease on life for it under my ownership. Oil changes have been regular intervals of 3000 miles (5000 kilometers) or thereabouts in the past. Most of these changes were done at a Jiffy Lube equivalent with whatever 5W30 they keep on tap and what you call "jobber" filters. It runs well and in the past few months I've replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, radiator, water pump, thermostat, cooling lines to the transmission (new coolant too), bypassed that stupid security sensor in the ignition switch, and this weekend I'm taking off the starter to have it rebuilt locally, unless of course it is too cold out. After a transmission fluid change to come in the spring-the first ever since it left Lansing fifteen years ago-I figure it'll be good as gold for a few more years. I would like to get 250k or more miles out of it if I can.

I'm curious what you think about the oil. I've picked up a few ACDelco Professional PF52 filters off of RockAuto since I figure the size and increased media should be of some use and better than what was on before. I think this will be the first OEM filter on the car for 15 years. As I understand it, the classic PF52/PF47 are high quality filters and made in the States so I like that too. I've done two oil changes so far and put Castrol GTX 5W30 in along with Fram orange can filters (I have since learned a life's knowledge of oil filters from BITOG and will not repeat). We haven't had much in the way of clear sunlight lately so a photo of the internals with the oil cap off didn't come out well. There is a visible varnish and I am wondering if that is a function of miles on the engine or oil choice/filter performance? Or maybe something else? I've received a Blackstone Labs kit and I intend to send that off when I do the next oil change.

I'd like to worry about the rest of the car and leave a well performing engine to do its thing with good oil and filters, so I'd appreciate suggestions or comments. Is there a (preferably conventional) oil with better cleaning additives?

Thanks

For some reason, all my GM vehicles have been loving the milesyn Sxr 15w40. Amazon has 20 quarts for less than 3.75 a quart delivered. If ordering is out of the question, the 3.4 I take care of likes the carquest syn 10w30 I buy at work.

Originally Posted By: JHerriot
Hello,

I inherited this car about eight months ago. It has the GM 3400 V6, is at 155k miles, and has been in the family from day one. This new situation has resulted in a new lease on life for it under my ownership. Oil changes have been regular intervals of 3000 miles (5000 kilometers) or thereabouts in the past. Most of these changes were done at a Jiffy Lube equivalent with whatever 5W30 they keep on tap and what you call "jobber" filters. It runs well and in the past few months I've replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, radiator, water pump, thermostat, cooling lines to the transmission (new coolant too), bypassed that stupid security sensor in the ignition switch, and this weekend I'm taking off the starter to have it rebuilt locally, unless of course it is too cold out. After a transmission fluid change to come in the spring-the first ever since it left Lansing fifteen years ago-I figure it'll be good as gold for a few more years. I would like to get 250k or more miles out of it if I can.

I'm curious what you think about the oil. I've picked up a few ACDelco Professional PF52 filters off of RockAuto since I figure the size and increased media should be of some use and better than what was on before. I think this will be the first OEM filter on the car for 15 years. As I understand it, the classic PF52/PF47 are high quality filters and made in the States so I like that too. I've done two oil changes so far and put Castrol GTX 5W30 in along with Fram orange can filters (I have since learned a life's knowledge of oil filters from BITOG and will not repeat). We haven't had much in the way of clear sunlight lately so a photo of the internals with the oil cap off didn't come out well. There is a visible varnish and I am wondering if that is a function of miles on the engine or oil choice/filter performance? Or maybe something else? I've received a Blackstone Labs kit and I intend to send that off when I do the next oil change.

I'd like to worry about the rest of the car and leave a well performing engine to do its thing with good oil and filters, so I'd appreciate suggestions or comments. Is there a (preferably conventional) oil with better cleaning additives?

Te PF52/47 are not high quality. Not even good quality since switching to nitrile ADBVs.
Buy either the Wix or Fram Tough Guard for about $2.50 more.

If your car doesn't leak or use oil, a synthetic 5w30 would be good. I like Mobil 1, because it frequently is on sale at Canadian tire (I keep a few oil changes ahead so I don't have to pay regular price). Any of the major brand synthetics would work well though. I have three Buicks similar vintage to your car, they all get Mobil 1. I go by the oil life monitors, which is 12000 to 14000 kms for mostly highway use, and about half that for mostly city use. Looking through the oil fill tube with a flashlight, the engines look squeaky clean. I've been running that oil/engine combo for more than seven years now, very happy with how they are running and holding up.

I forgot to note in my previous post, don't forget the transmission. If your car hasn't had a pan drop and filter change yet in it's life, it is definitely due by now. This is a fairly easy task (lots of how to videos on youtube), can be messy though. And don't forget disposable gloves, you don't want that stuff soaking into your hands.

oh, just saw that you mentioned a tranny fluid change.

Last edited:
You are correct, as long as the engine keeps running well and holding its fluids there's no reason to mess with it. If it were mine it would have Valvoline Maxlife 5/10w30 and Wix/Napa filter. But they aren't picky engines - any good oil changed regularly should get/keep it clean inside. Cooling system should be pretty healthy after your work - if plugs, wires, air filter, etc. are all in good shape, drive and enjoy. Just don't push it if it gets hot - that engine family is touchy about head gaskets.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Hello,

Te PF52/47 are not high quality. Not even good quality since switching to nitrile ADBVs.
Buy either the Wix or Fram Tough Guard for about $2.50 more.

Are you talking about the e-cores? The classics are still considered a quality filter at a reasonable price.

My Equinox has the same engine (different transmissions.) It has lived mostly on any brand named conventional and a Delco PF52 classic (not PF-52E.) I would look up rockauto and see whenever they have closeouts on delco, wix, mobil or fram tg or ultras and run whatever you want. Search for the 05 blazers to find the 52s. Mine loved Pennzoil HM but recently I tried supertech 5w-30 and it still purrs like a kitten. Those 3.4 engines are reliable and have decent power.

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
I forgot to note in my previous post, don't forget the transmission. If your car hasn't had a pan drop and filter change yet in it's life, it is definitely due by now. This is a fairly easy task (lots of how to videos on youtube), can be messy though. And don't forget disposable gloves, you don't want that stuff soaking into your hands.
oh, just saw that you mentioned a tranny fluid change.

It has never had a change and it still shifts well so I want that to continue. It does look straight forward but I wish GM had fitted a dipstick and pan with a drain plug. Easily remedied, but still.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
You are correct, as long as the engine keeps running well and holding its fluids there's no reason to mess with it. If it were mine it would have Valvoline Maxlife 5/10w30 and Wix/Napa filter. But they aren't picky engines - any good oil changed regularly should get/keep it clean inside. Cooling system should be pretty healthy after your work - if plugs, wires, air filter, etc. are all in good shape, drive and enjoy. Just don't push it if it gets hot - that engine family is touchy about head gaskets.

What makes you prefer the Valvoline Maxlife over say the Castrol? I know they are both good, I'm just curious as I know little about oil compared to folks here. The LIM gasket has never been touched and I hope the brand new cooling system will help out with that and maybe the newer formula Dexcool as well. I'm sending in an oil sample to Blackstone to see how things are. Nothing on the oil cap or visual issues with the oil anyway.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

Are you talking about the e-cores? The classics are still considered a quality filter at a reasonable price.

My Equinox has the same engine (different transmissions.) It has lived mostly on any brand named conventional and a Delco PF52 classic (not PF-52E.) I would look up rockauto and see whenever they have closeouts on delco, wix, mobil or fram tg or ultras and run whatever you want. Search for the 05 blazers to find the 52s. Mine loved Pennzoil HM but recently I tried supertech 5w-30 and it still purrs like a kitten. Those 3.4 engines are reliable and have decent power.

I know the e-cores are not the same quality. I bought the PF-52 Classic from RockAuto which were originally spec on the 60 degree V6 in earlier applications along with newer SUVs and I figure are much better quality than the Fram orange can cheapies or whatever it had for most of its life. What is the difference in the additive package between regular conventional and say your Pennzoil High Mileage? I don't have any leaks or consumption so would there be an advantage to using HM oil?

Thanks everybody.

What makes you prefer the Valvoline Maxlife over say the Castrol? I know they are both good, I'm just curious as I know little about oil compared to folks here. The LIM gasket has never been touched and I hope the brand new cooling system will help out with that and maybe the newer formula Dexcool as well. I'm sending in an oil sample to Blackstone to see how things are. Nothing on the oil cap or visual issues with the oil anyway.

Mostly just familiarity, combined with cost and availability. Maxlife is regarded on BITOG as a very good high mileage oil, and I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise in plenty of different engines with 80-250K on them - it's the base oil change at my shop. My dad has used Valvoline oils in his stuff for a long time and has 361K and 420K on two different V-8 trucks ('86 and '97) that have never had the oil pans off. On my in laws' '09 Caravan and brother-in-law's '98 Lesabre, after 3-4 changes with Maxlife consumption reduced at least 40% - if your car doesn't burn or leak much oil there's no need for a high mileage oil, but it won't hurt and it's a well priced, widely available (at least in the US) syn blend. I would've used Schaeffer's full syn in my Cruze from day one, but landed on Valvoline Synpower instead because I wanted an oil that was readily available if I was some distance from my home region and needed to change the oil. There's really no evidence that Valvoline products as a whole are better than Castrol, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil, etc., I simply began using it (in my teens) because dad had good luck with it, and after 10 years and 150,000+ miles accumulated on my own vehicles (and no, not 20K on 7 different cars) and 2 years of putting it in other folks' rides I've yet for anything to happen that suggests it's not a good product. Short of tearing into it to do the LIM gasket as a preventative measure, a UOA is a good call to check for any coolant contamination.

Last edited:
For OLM cars, I like to use the cheapest synthetic on sale for the full OCI it recommends. Pair it with any filter made by Wix
smile.gif

It sounds like your 2002 Oldsmobile Alero 3.4L V6 has be well taken care of! Both our Pennzoil Conventional and Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30 motor oils would be a great candidates for your engine. Both motor oils contain cleaning agents that clean out up to 40% of engine sludge in the 1st oil change, and continue to clean in the 2nd oil change. Since your vehicle has 155,000 miles on it and its 15 years old, we recommend Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30. It is formulated with seal-conditioning additives that help reduce leaks and helps to stop oil consumption in worn engines.

Hope this helps! - The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back