Where do you guys find oil that's on sale???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always hear about how oils are going on clearance and you guys buy the entire stores stock for $.50/qt or something like that. I never see this near me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I check out that section of this site dedicated to deals and drop by the locations of those chains said to have some dirt cheap oil that we happen to be passing in our daily travels.
Sometimes you score big and more often you don't but if you're there anyway, it's worth a stop and a look.

Yep I see deals posted here and then check stores near me. I also try and post any deals I see or how to check them/make them work to help as well.

I have often wondered the same thing. I have never seen any oil below $2 a quart where I live, and even that was some non-SN gunk I wouldn't use as a weed killer. Speak to me oil gurus, share your ways.

There is a place called NAPA auto parts
smile.gif

You probably don't see any close-out oil because a local BITOG hoarder has already cleaned out the store. HAHA

Autozone is one of the best places to shop this time of year with $2/quart synthetic commonplace.

I just bought 10 quarts of Mobil 0W-20 super synthetic and a 5 qt jug of Castrol 0W-40 all for $2 a quart.

Left plenty on the shelf too.

you can pickup 5qt bottles of syn for about 10$ after rebates quite a few times a year.
I usually do amazon or walmart.

I don't either. Clearance oils in Canada are prohibited under NAFTA or something like that.
wink.gif
Clearance prices here wind up being like a few percent off of regular price, which is way too high to matter.

www.napaoline.com
You go there every month once and look for oil you need whether it is on sale.
For example I use in winter in BMW Mobil1 5W30 ESP, and it is on sale approx. once a year.
In summer I use Valvoline 5W40 MST< and it is on sale every 4-5 months.
SO I just go there and check and see if it is on sale, I stack up.

Actually, I check NAPA up here, too, not that I need to buy more oil right now. But, they do usually have something at a sensible price. Lately, they've had a few products on semi-permanent sale, and then switch the monthly big sale. They also have the Shell EcoBoxes up here, for those interested.

Of course, the C3 Pennzoil stuff is crudely listed as VW Diesel or something like that.

I asked a guy in O'Reilly's here in Ft. Myers. It's a new store. He said they never had those things there but he had experience with 2 other auto supply retailers. He said shops find out early and come in and take it all. I've never seen a clearance on oil.
NAPA sales are the best deal I know of with the special diesel oils but you have to search for them.

It's improved a bit up here, but our biggest problem was always oil specials at Canadian Tire, which begin at store opening. Usually, the old farts would be there at store opening, clear out the shelves, CT would have "limited quantities," and that would be that. To make matters worse, before we could readily check the specials online a day ahead, the paper ad would show up after the sale had already begun, with predictable results.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I always hear about how oils are going on clearance and you guys buy the entire stores stock for $.50/qt or something like that. I never see this near me.
I just watch Walmart and Costco sales. For random reasons they will reduce oil to $4/quart of synthetic (or $1 conventional), and then you can score.

Also if you're shopping for clothes or electronics? December 26 and July 5 are the best days. That's when stores clear-out their seasonal winter or spring merchandise to make room for the next season. (That's why, strangely enough, you will find bikinis in January and winter coats in July... moving onto the next season.)

Amazon.com is my favorite place. I dump an item into my electronic cart, and then I wait. Amazon will notify me, "The price has dropped on this item," so I buy it.

Just go to the "Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions" section.
Deals get posted there all the time. Some are local to the poster, some are nationwide, some are online.
Some are rebate deals or sales, but most of the really good deals are clearance items.
The Advance Auto mis-price had a bunch of oil for $0.05/qt in December. It was on clearance at the first of the month for ~$3/qt, then dropped to $1.85/qt. It was supposed to be taken off the shelves apparently, but somehow it stayed on the shelf and was priced (when rung up) @ $0.05 (even the 5 qt jugs were $0.05 for the entire jug). I bought 6 0w-20 Magnatec @ the $1.85, then another 24 qts of oil (mostly Magnatec xw-20) @ $0.05/qt.
full-4879-2853-receipt.jpg

Auto Zone has a $2/qt clearance on a lot of good oils, but most all stores are all cleared out now.
I got 5 qts of Mobil 1 0w-20 EP for $10, as well as 8 qts of Mobil 1 15w-50.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
You probably don't see any close-out oil because a local BITOG hoarder has already cleaned out the store. HAHA

Autozone is one of the best places to shop this time of year with $2/quart synthetic commonplace.

I just bought 10 quarts of Mobil 0W-20 super synthetic and a 5 qt jug of Castrol 0W-40 all for $2 a quart.

Hey! Who you callin' a hoarder!

Net price = $68. 80ish quarts.

Originally Posted By: GRWOil
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Hey! Who you callin' a hoarder!

Net price = $68. 80ish quarts.

And I bet they still made money off of you! Nice score by the way.

There were members on here long ago that scored 0or5W40 and started threads if they could use it in their car which calls for 5W20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back