Oil filter failure reported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai Elantra 2015 oil filter (spin-oil filter- brand name unknown)
Recently, a colleague had his oil/filter changed at a local garage. After 2 weeks, he noticed the engine oil pressure light was flashing, added 2 quarts of oil and then drove back to the local garage. The garage reported that the oil filter rubber ring failed and also damaged the engine.

What is the root cause of the failure?
What are the forum members'comments?

He parks on the street and when he returned he just noticed the fresh oil puddlelocation where he added the 2 quarts earlier. It has been leaking for the last 2 weeks.

He doesn't have the filter and is negotiating an engine replacement.

Root cause is probably a bad gasket or lack of adhesvise on the gasket or perhaps poor installation and over tightening to the point the gasket causes a leak.

Last edited:
I assume you are referencing the sealing gasket as 'failing'? Without more detailed information it's difficult to say 'exactly.' However, another poster had a somewhat 'similar sounding' issue recently and his experience is posted in the link, it would be worth your time to read imo. In his case he posted detailed info and it was easy to get to the root causes of the gasket failure. While the cause may not be the same, the link should serve as a sort of guide.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4258788/Re:_How_could_wrong_filter_cau

This is a major PITA for all OEMs - customers using a local garage that uses a knock off filter, leading to some cases where the engine is done for.
The "made-in-China" cheap filter as its called, used a worthless gasket or cheap filter media that did NOT meet the OEM spec, it would have caused the oil leak that eventually caused low oil pressure and damaged the engine internals.

The OEMs live with it, because not all customers want to spend the extra $$ or the time for an appointment to go to the dealership for an oil change.

Most likely, Hyundai would give your friend the new engine, provided all documentations were presented. Oil grade, filter type and brand etc.

Would have been best if he still had the failed filter, but sometimes it's to the discretion of the particular dealership and OEM.

They either want to retain the customer and provide him with a new engine, or ask him to pay the $5k for a new engine and [censored] the customer off and have him buy a new brand next time.

If he declined to look underneath the car within 10 minutes of the oil change, just to make sure ere were no leaks, then it's his own ignorance that is to blame.

After an oil change you *ALWAYS* check for drips underneath the vehicle.

Also, if it had been leaking for two weeks and he didn't address the leak then it looks like even more ignorance on his part.

There's also a possibility [slight typically it will leak right away, but not always] the gasket from the old filter was stuck to the block and they released the car with two rubber gaskets on the filter which would cause the leak. Since he brought it back to the shop he'll never know, and the shop will never admit they did anything wrong. I always double check a repair shop's work.

Do you know what the filter was?

More plausible that the shop double gasketed the filter.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

That's what I said.
thumbsup2.gif
Pigs will fly before the fess up to it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That's what I said.
thumbsup2.gif

Yup seen that a few times.

- The old oil filter gasket sticks and is left behind.
- They spin a new filter on hand tight.
- It seems ok until the engine builds enough oil pressure driving down the street..
- gush! out comes a 1/3 qt.
- Pressure is released
- gushing stops for a while
- Pressure builds back up
- gush! out comes another spat of oil

Sometimes you don't see it in your garage because idling may not be enough oil pressure. He got lucky. But he needs pics to get any reaction from the quick lube.

Use a DENSO oil filter. They use an almost fail proof o-ring type seal and a torque stop that assure correct torque. Your screw them on until you hit the torque stop and that's it. Haven't had a failure for thirty some years. In fact, never had an oil filter gasket failure period.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That's what I said.
thumbsup2.gif

I was about to say the same thing. One reason I always like to do my own oil. That way, I'm up close and personal with the filter mating surface, and I always wipe it down with a rag or paper towel. Keeps it clean and I can feel as well as see if there's a stuck gasket, or part of one.

.. Of course, there's also the possibility that they:

- majorly overtightened the filter, and in the process damaged the gasket. (Cranked it down with a wrench)
- put the filter on, then took it back off for some reason, and then put it back on, and in the process deformed it.
- used a filter that had been damaged in some way, and should never have been mounted on the car

.. etc..

Unfortunately, since it was brought back to them, and they did the diag and replacement, it's entirely possible the cause was not a "leak at the gasket" but something more serious, but they chose to lie and blame the filter.

Leak at the gasket, double gasket, whatever the root cause the owner failed to check under the vehicle or rectify the leak that was happening for two weeks.
Ignorant & lazy owner responsible for own engine death.

What was the filter? Did it have the right threads for the filter mounting stud? Sometimes, a lube "tech" or even us can install a filter that appears and "feels" to fit only to fail because the threads didn't match.

Originally Posted By: nthach
What was the filter? Did it have the right threads for the filter mounting stud? Sometimes, a lube "tech" or even us can install a filter that appears and "feels" to fit only to fail because the threads didn't match.

+1

That's the first question...especially if a shop is bad enough to put a SAE threaded filter on a metric stud and force it.

Although something like a Fram Ultra will fit exactly like the OEM Mann-Hummel filter on my Hyundai, I've been advised that there are some filters that for x Hyundai engine have gasket and lip "discrepancies" of between an eighth and a tenth of an inch so they don't engage into the lip of the housing like the OEM and ride below it. I just mention that...I've never seen it but I understand there are supposedly a few that cross reference a match but are off-sized in terms of fitting flush. Maybe there's something like that along with another layer of bad to go along with it.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I assume you are referencing the sealing gasket as 'failing'? Without more detailed information it's difficult to say 'exactly.' However, another poster had a somewhat 'similar sounding' issue recently and his experience is posted in the link, it would be worth your time to read imo. In his case he posted detailed info and it was easy to get to the root causes of the gasket failure. While the cause may not be the same, the link should serve as a sort of guide.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4258788/Re:_How_could_wrong_filter_cau

This exact thread came to my mind too.

Notice how it is also a Hyundai.

What are the chances of a simliar issue happening? Assuming both cars take the xx9688/ xx3593a filter styles

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
...Notice how it is also a Hyundai

What are the chances of a simliar issue happening? Assuming both cars take the xx9688/ xx3593a filter styles

I too noticed same make and filter size spec when the OP posted. The main difference being the OP in the previous incident gave detailed information so determining cause was not that difficult.

It's certainly possible the cause is the same, but really just speculating without more detailed info to say for sure. Occam's Razor would likely say the double gasket idea or something to do with how tight the filter was tightened, under or over, could be the cause.

One thing would be similar, imo the shop that installed the filter would be responsible for damages either from installation error, or less likely defective filter. In latter case, the shop going after the supplier/filter manufacturer for damages.

Whatever the case, since many contributed thoughts and ideas here I hope the OP comes back with follow up and more detailed information.

Sorry no further details. I forwarded this link to him. Thank you everyone.
My colleague has moved on.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Leak at the gasket, double gasket, whatever the root cause the owner failed to check under the vehicle or rectify the leak that was happening for two weeks.
Ignorant & lazy owner responsible for own engine death.

Lets say the owner was a senior citizen or young female student who depends on others to work on and maintain his/her vehicle. He/she doesn't notice any oil dripping, maybe due to a busy schedule, out early, home late. He/she drives the gasket blows out, and he huffs the engine. Or he's driving late at night parks the car, it's low on oil due to the tech's screw up, but not low enough to trigger an oil light. He/she starts it up the next day, drives a bit the oil light comes on, he pulls over shuts it down and later finds his engine is gone. That's his fault because he paid someone who is supposed to be a pro to maintain his car? I respectfully disagree. People pay pros so they don't have to worry, or to the work. The tech should be on the hook if he did the job wrong, double gaskets. Not everyone is like us and does their own work to avoid headaches like this one. The sad part of all of this is the screw up was rectified by the shop when the car was brought back, now try and prove they did something wrong.

OTOH if it could be proven the tech did the job wrong in court, he'd be ponying up for the repairs.

It's stories like this that keep me doing my own work. I dread the day that I can't, but one thing for sure is I will check over any work I have to pay to have done when that day does come that I can't do it, or choose not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back