New 2016 gti. Need oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I'm coming up on an oil change and need some advice for my gti. This is my first European car and I've been considering 2 choices. Liqui moly top tec 4200 5w-30. And motul 8100 x-clean FE 5w-30. Any recommendations would be great. The only reason I chose these is because they were at the top of liqui molys and motuls lube advisor.

With proper rated oils from dependable sources I doubt there will be a difference other than personal preferences.

Leave Liqui Moly out of your mind. A less than stellar oil. There's also no need for boutique oils. Run the Motul if you must, but there will be no tangible benefit to offset the cost, other than being able to tell people you use Motul.

I would use Castrol Edge 0W-40. It has a bundle of European approvals, including the one you need: VW 502/505.

Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol Edge 0W-40 are the typical recommendations, and with good reason - they work extremely well, are inexpensive & easy to get.

Nick1994
VW 502 503 504 in 5w40 or 5w30

RooflessVW
It's not a status thing. I use motul exclusively in my motorcycles. After purchasing my gti I hit some of the VW tuner sights and motul and liquimoly were the brands.

I dint like to change lubricants in anything. If I start with a brand I mostly stay wit it in vehicle.

welcome2.gif

If the LM, or Motul meet specs and are easily obtainable, go for it. I would, as has been stated already, go with Mobil1 or Edge in 0W-40. They meet the mfc approval and can be bought for roughly $25xx a 5qt/jug at WMart.

People like Liqui Moly because it sounds German and has "Made in Germany" plastered all over the bottle. In reality that (and it's higher price!) is the only thing that sets it apart from the competition. It is an average oil and is not something to should seek out or pay a premium for.

Castrol Edge 0W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 have no equals when you factor in availability and price. I use Castrol because it meets LL01 and is PAO base versus the Mobil which is GTL.

Wether or not those factors make Castrol a superior choice over the Mobil 1 is up for debate, but it helps me sleep at night.

Mobil or Castrol 0w40

Fancy sounding oils are a waste of money, popular with many fan bois of a particular car. Don't buy into their hype.

Stock up when there is a sale and your engine will be well protected and your wallet more full. How can you argue with that?

SLO_Town- that's is interesting and may give me pause it's a different car and engine than the 2 bmw's in other post.

SURFSTAR- I've used motul for an extremely long time in my bikes and motuls motorcycle oils are possibly the standard in that arena. It's not just a fancy sounding name.

Originally Posted By: Ttown
RooflessVW: what makes luquimoly less than stellar?

Only thing that Liqui Moly has and other do not is oversized Made in Germany letters.
I ran LM 15 years ago in my cars, and unknown oils from Croatia did better.
Those are typical HC oils, that are sold just because they advertise Made in Germany thing to the death.

Originally Posted By: Ttown
Hello everyone. I'm coming up on an oil change and need some advice for my gti. This is my first European car and I've been considering 2 choices. Liqui moly top tec 4200 5w-30. And motul 8100 x-clean FE 5w-30. Any recommendations would be great. The only reason I chose these is because they were at the top of liqui molys and motuls lube advisor.

Use Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40 FS. I would personally go with Catsrol 0W40, but it is splitting hairs.
Numerous UOA of Castrol 0W40 in VW TSI engines and from what I noticed, they hold better then Motul. Mobil1 0W40 FS is fairly new, so not as much data. Old version was ridiculously stout in terms of cst, but TBN depletion was horrid in my VW CC.

There is no need to use a German brand of oil in a German car. Besides, M1 0w40 and Castrol 0w40 do the job perfectly. If you are going to NAPA, Valvoline 5w40 may be the least expensive VW oil, and it is excellent.

I'm not understanding why most think I'm making a choice because it states made in Germany on the bottle or fancy sounding oils to put in my gti. I've done some research mostly by going on reputable tuners and see what they put in their cars or refer to customers. I've only learned about liqui moly as of late and have used motul for many many years in my bikes. I'm just learning now and trying to make the best educated guess. The direct injection and low ash and saps is what I'm trying to understand. I want to pick an oil and stay with it. I do understand that any oil with the 502/505 and even the 504/507 requirements will do the trick. Just learning with the help of most on this site.
THANK YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back