Removing generator mounting bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot figure out how to remove this bolt in the picture. It mounts the back of the generator to a shock absorber mount. It runs through the mount to under the mount by at least one inch. The head of the bolt is in a slot. If the generator could go in the bolt head would slide out of the slot, but that cannot happen.

The mount is not attached but because the bolt goes below the mount and frame you cannot slide the mount out.

Last edited:
Here is what I think. Someone repairing the generator put it together with the bolt going down and the bolt should be going up. Only the nut belongs in that slot.

Not sure what your asking. It's a Winco 8k generator. [/quote]
Just trying to figure what it was off of so that someone with experience with that model might help. Good luck on this one as its not a car or truck. I have seen captured mounts but usually they have other mount points that allow it to slide free

Originally Posted By: Donald
Here is what I think. Someone repairing the generator put it together with the bolt going down and the bolt should be going up. Only the nut belongs in that slot.

I've had this happen twice where someone put the long lower alternator bolt in backwards which required removing the radiator in order to get the alternator off. My guess was the radiator was already out of the car, otherwise it would have been impossible to put it back in.

What would happen if you stuck a flat head screwdriver between the head of the bolt and the shock absorber mount? Would that keep the bolt from spinning?

Originally Posted By: TurboFiat124
Originally Posted By: Donald

I've had this happen twice where someone put the long lower alternator bolt in backwards which required removing the radiator in order to get the alternator off. My guess was the radiator was already out of the car, otherwise it would have been impossible to put it back in.

What would happen if you stuck a flat head screwdriver between the head of the bolt and the shock absorber mount? Would that keep the bolt from spinning?

The bolt needs to come out so the generator head can slide or be pulled out. The bolt head in that slot is currently preventing that.

If you're willing to sacrifice the bolt maybe you can work at cutting through it with a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, lots of them ;), and a chisel meant for metal. This way the shaft of the bolt will drop and you can remove the head easily. I'm sure you can get a new bolt without too much trouble.

Whimsey

Well it was for naught. With the bolt out and generator off the engine's tapered shaft I tried to slide the generator out but it has mounting ears that won't let the generator slide out so it needs to slide in and the bolt would have allowed it to slide in. But to slide in the cabinet needs to come apart and engine and generator move out as a combined unit.

PIA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back