Who makes flat-top Walmart EverStart batteries?

I was doing some research yesterday and decided to just grab an EverStart battery from WalMart. The Plus (2 year warranty, 525 CCA) was rolled back to $75 and the Maxx (3+2 year warranty, 640 CCA) was $95 without dealing with AAP coupon codes for a Johnson-made AutoCraft. The pics on Walmart's site all show the EverStarts as being hex-capped Johnsons but in-store they all had flat tops and non-removable vents. So who makes those?

I've been happy with the Johnson-made AutoCraft batteries I've purchased over the years (this car, the wife's Corolla, has had two Silvers) so I figured I'd just get a Plus from Walmart and be good to go with another Johnson battery for another 4-5 years but 1) these were not Johnsons and 2) they were out of the cheaper Plus anyway, so I got a Maxx. So $20 extra got me more unneeded CCAs but a better warranty and got it off my mental to-do list.

But who makes it?

mZdxydB.jpg

Originally Posted By: mooferz
Based solely based on the looks, I'd guess East Penn aka Deka.

Looking at a few places online, you're right. Pics and specs indicate it's a re-labled Deka Ultimate made in the USA. That's good I guess?

I don't recall seeing a country of origin on the EverStart label but I can't say I looked too hard.

I've seen these at Costco - JCI did buy out Delphi's battery division, it's the old Delco Freedom design.

New battery was installed last night before the cold weather blew in, and it works great. Off the list.

But jeez, Walmart really needs to step up their customer service processes. I went in at 7:30am hoping to get in an out with my $12 core return and ended up being in line for half hour with only three people in front of me. The sole person at the counter was not slow, and she seemed to know what she was doing. Busy scanning things, typing and mousing, writing the occasional note, etc. the whole time, not struggling at all. So what the heck takes 7-10 minutes per customer to process? They didn't seem to have returns so I have no idea what they were even there for. No wonder the line is always 10 people deep during normal hours.

Maybe I should just be happy that I got my core charge back at all since apparently people have had issues trying to explain to the counter worker what the fee is and what they are returning an old, used, non-Walmart battery to their store.

I've used these batteries in multiple vehicles with good results. The main reason I buy at Walmart is that (1) they are open 24 hours and (2) I'm never THAT far from a Walmart. :)

My Everstart says made in Spain.
I don't care who makes it or where.
If it cranks on a minus 20 degree morning I'm good.

Originally Posted By: user52165
No EPA or OSHA in Saudi Arabia.

Mexico doesn't have them, either. Plus they're right over the river and can be shipped ground instead of by sea/air.

It just seems silly to ship them from Saudi Arabia when batteries are so heavy!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: user52165
No EPA or OSHA in Saudi Arabia.

Mexico doesn't have them, either. Plus they're right over the river and can be shipped ground instead of by sea/air.

It just seems silly to ship them from Saudi Arabia when batteries are so heavy!

Well Saudia Arabia is an absolute monarchy so I am sure the royal family are able to control wages and policies to make it advantageous. Mexico is a rather poorly run democratic republic and while it certainly has advantages, it cannot exercise as much control over business nearly as easily. That being said, I would rather see Mexico get the business versus the Saudis given how poor of "friends" they are with the USA.

If you want to know the manufacturer, you can take the UPC directly off the battery and search for the MSDS here: http://msds.walmartstores.com A search by name may bring up previous suppliers, or suppliers of different group size batteries, so it will be most reliable if you search via UPC. The UPC will list the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
BTW-I have spotted some of those Saudi made batteries at AutoZone.

Correction: It was Advance Auto Parts that had some Saudi made Autocraft Gold batteries.

IIRC someone said that if the serial # starts with JCH then it's made by Johnson Controls. I don't know how accurate that is.

BTW-I have spotted some of those Saudi made batteries at AutoZone.

Correction: It was Advance Auto Parts that had some Saudi made Autocraft Gold batteries.

You may very well see them at AZ soon anyway, since both stores use JCI for their batteries.

i have seen epm looking batteries marked made in china.
i suspect the patent ran out on the case design and they are being cloned now.

Back